Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Dell Axim PDA 'not on speaking terms' with Memory Map
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Dell Axim PDA 'not on speaking terms' with Memory Map

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WayMark
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:25 pm    Post subject: Dell Axim PDA 'not on speaking terms' with Memory Map Reply with quote

I have a Dell Axim x51v PDA and an I-Blue 737 Bluetooth GPS. I have MM pocket navigator (from V5 Ordnance Survey Edition version: 5.1.3) installed on my PDA and can load up and view maps with no problem.

I used to be able to connect my GPS to Memory Map but it no longer works. Every time, I get an alert box saying 'GPS communication timeout'.

I’ve tried all the obvious fixes:
* Deleting the bluetooth connection and re-establishing it
* Switching between com ports 7 and 8
* Using every combination of Baud rate settings both in the Memory Map GPS set-up and in the Axim’s "settings - GPS" utility.
* I’ve also tried switching the Axim’s GPS utility off altogether by setting the hardware and GPS com ports to “none”
* Removing Memory Map pocket navigator and reinstalling it
* Completely reinstalling Memory Map on my PC
* Swapping manufacturer settings in the Memory Map GPS set up, although I know it’s meant to be set to NMEA
* HARD reset of my PDA, as well as numerous soft resets
* Removing the battery from my Bluetooth GPS overnight to reset it

What’s really puzzling is that I CAN use TomTom with my GPS and PDA, with no problem at all.

I’m aware from previous postings that there’s a risk of Tom Tom hogging the com port and shutting out Memory Map. To avoid this happening I have MM installed on the hard drive of the PDA, while TomTom is on the SD card.

I have tried removing the SD card and also going into "settings - memory - running programmes - stop all", to make sure no programs are running apart from Memory Map.

When I create a debug file following the GPS communication timeout message, it always reads:
OpenPort: COM7: 1 0 4 1 0 0
I/O failure: Error=0
~CNMEA_input: closing port

I have read the Memory Map website support section in great detail, tried emailing them, and registering for the support forum – but they never reply.

The bottom line is that nothing works, and it’s doing my head in big time. If anyone’s got any ideas to 'reunite' my GPS and Axim, I would be so grateful.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard reset the PDA which should wipe the device back to the same state it was in when new, do not touch the stupid Windows GPS applet as this causes lots of problems and to be honest is probably the root cause of what you are having trouble with.

Reinstall TomTom (what version are you using by the way) and get that setup and working, then transfer the MM application and full licence details to the PDA (if licence details are not sent the GPS part won't work)

Use NMEA as type and it should fire up and work, if you want to run TOMTom and MM at the same time look at using Franson GPS Gate to split the GPS data between the two applications, this works the inbuilt MS offering is pathetic in comparison - Mike
WayMark
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the benefit of anyone else with the same problem, this is how I finally solved the Axim/MM stand-off...

In the Axim x51v Bluetooth manager set incoming port to com 7, and outgoing port to com 8.

Disable the Axim's GPS applet (as recommended by Mike above) by setting both program and hardware ports to "none".

In Memory Map GPS set-up, set manufacturer to NMEA, port to com 8, baud rate 4800.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Memory-Map All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: