Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 910 restore point wanted
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

910 restore point wanted
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xant14
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: 910 restore point wanted Reply with quote

I have downloaded all the latest updates, reguarily backed up my 910 (with Home! silly me), now I have the latest version it stinks.

here is some of the problems,
i used to navigate to a point of interest in city, in my case railway stations, as I work on the railways, the point of interest has gone from menu! ( although the station is shown in browse map)

voice guidence has disappeared, unless i touch volume, then it tells me.

other points if interest have disappeared, i used to have all the lidl's in, but now the nearest is in holland.

I dont mind re-adding poi's, but I wanna get my tom tom back to how it was, clicking on restore in home just goes thru the motions and leaves it how it is now, although in my explorer, there are 4 back-ups in there, although not named now.

help someone please!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few issues...
First, do a NEW Windows Explorer backup NOW, in case none of your Home backups have the Loquendo Text to Speech voice folder.

Next, if you can see them in Explorer, you should be able to browse your backups and work out which is the newest by the files dates.
You could then restore one of the backups by Windows copy and paste.

Where have the POIs gone... Are these built-in POIs or ones you have installed yourself? The built in ones are stored in a file called poi.dat in your map folder- you could just try restoring that one file from any of your backups.
Personal POIs are stored as .ov2 files (lidl.ov2 possibly) and .bmp files to match. Again, look with explorer to see if they are there in your map folder.

Voice disappearing. Have you tried a reset? (tiny hole on bottom of machine) That might solve everything.
xant14
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A funny thing happened to me on the way to work....

Hi Andy, thanks for the swift reply. I read your advice last night, but didnt have time to try out all your advice,
On my way to work, I set my route as normal, and all the way down, no voice guidence, I set it for a destination where we were working, and the voice was back on, set it again for home, working again!
so on that problem, not a clue why that happened, but hopefully sorted now.

The missing railway pois are the built in ones, and they're back!...

I noticed there are lots more poi catagories added to my tomtom, stuff I never put on there, religious buildings, opera, early churches etc, and trying to add more catagories wasn't allowed because there is no room.
So I deleted about a dozen catagories, (it still says no room for more catagories). Deleted poi.dat (after saving it somewhere else) installed poi.dat from an early back-up (although this was exactly the same physical size as the deleted poi.dat).
anyway, there is railway stations back in the points of interest!

So I am guessing that with the new (7.161) update, they are including more poi's, and it went over my allowed number of catagories.

what is the max allowed?

I am going to junk out all the catagories I don't want over the next day or so, after I have read up on doing a windows explorer back-up.
or is that as simple as just making a folder and copying everthing from removable disc (tomtom) into it?

oh btw, I had done a re-set but the voice guidence didnt work.

And my Lidls', again, no idea why all my uk ones disappeared, but that aint a problem.

Thanks Andy for pointing me in the right direction, now the tom tom is doing that correctly.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xant14 wrote:
So I am guessing that with the new (7.161) update, they are including more poi's, and it went over my allowed number of catagories.

what is the max allowed?
On my 910, with V7.161 I can add 169 custom POIs.

xant14 wrote:
I am going to junk out all the catagories I don't want over the next day or so, after I have read up on doing a windows explorer back-up.
or is that as simple as just making a folder and copying everthing from removable disc (tomtom) into it?
In a word .... yes. Smile

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Infama
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
xant14 wrote:

what is the max allowed?
On my 910, with V7.161 I can add 169 custom POIs.

xant14 wrote:
In a word .... yes. Smile

Yes, as long as you unhide all files first in Explorer!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh... and the built-in POIs from poi.dat don't count towards your total allowed, ONLY the ones ending in .ov2.

We are being a bit vague about the total number allowed now, because we don't have a definitive answer any more! On v6 software it was DEFINITELY 100 (proven by experiments), but on v7 it may be more complicated... I have an email from Tomtom saying it is 300 on v7.210 software for the x20 models and as Oldboy says, he has found it to be 169 (13 squared!) on his 910 with v7.161. So the truth is, we're not sure yet, until a few bored souls sit down and try it on all the different models! Shocked
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
until a few bored souls sit down and try it on all the different models! Shocked
Well .... thanks. Rolling Eyes

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just watching a work colleague's 700 as Home tries to download v7 maps. The thought DID pass my mind that I could borrow it and see how many POIs it will handle now it is on v7 software, but I'm trying to resist!
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only takes 5 minutes. Wink

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's your technique then?
I laboriously made 110 empty .ov2 files named 001.ov2 to 100.ov2, took all the other POIs off my Go and added them instead.
Is there a quicker way I'm missing?
xant14
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unbelievable response, thank you all, went to bed after my night shift, and a whole load of educated information here for me a few hours later.
Keep up the good work boys.
Smile
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Is there a quicker way I'm missing?
I used 1 small existing POI, I think it was 2K.

I made a Copy to a temporary folder, and renamed it Copy (1) of A.ov2

Then I just Copied that and pasted into the same folder. Windows will rename it as Copy (2) of A.ov2 and increment the copy number each time. Wink

It's also an easy way to see how many you've done. It takes as long as you can press Ctrl + V for nnn times. Smile

xant14
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: no voice guidance Reply with quote

It has happened again, coming home from work last night, no voice guidance. I haven't changed anything, probably a tempermental thing. the voice is still there, if you touch the screen for volume adjustment it comes on, but no instructions thru the route.

I dunno what the problem is, there wasn't this problem before i ugraded to 7.16 version, maybe coincidental, maybe not.

Andy! where are you?

failing getting it sorted, which sat nav is the one to go for? no real cost restraints other than paying over the odds for mp3 and stuff.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
I used 1 small existing POI, I think it was 2K.

I made a Copy to a temporary folder, and renamed it Copy (1) of A.ov2

Then I just Copied that and pasted into the same folder. Windows will rename it as Copy (2) of A.ov2 and increment the copy number each time. Wink

Dang! Why didn't I think of that! I made 1 copy and renamed it, then did the same thing a hundred times Embarassed

xant14...
So where are we now?
Everything is OK, except the voice disappears?
Let's have think....
xant14
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers mate, as soon as I met you, I knew you were the sensible one.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: