Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nikon D300 and D3 GPS enabled cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nikon D300 and D3 GPS enabled cameras
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lost Cause
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly, too many features already - so make it an option. What use GPS if you`re buying a D3 for a studio ?

And moreover, what point integrating GPS/Bluetooth/WiFi (with the later`s associated certification costs for all territories) when one can simply sit back and charge 50 quid for a lead instead ?
Viking9
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:

Welcome Viking9

That's an interesting comment by Darren and Viking9. I can't help but wonder which features you guys are talking about. Bearing in mind that bluetooth, GPS or WiFi would cost about £20 to add to a camera, Which features would you rather that they spent the money on? Confused

As for "features that you need", I could show you 20 features that I don't need on my SLR! Laughing

Hi Skippy and thank you for your welcome. It was GPS I was commenting on. Bluetooth and WiFi would be useful (WiFi is in a number of DSLRs now), but I would rather see the money spent on improvements to dynamic range and noise reduction. I'd also like to see an ISO setting dial on the top of the camera, similar to the old lightmeter rotary dial on film cameras. The trouble is that a GPS unit might not cost too much to fit but if it malfunctions it could screw up the camera.
wdaehn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking along the same lines but then decided to give it a try and enabled the D300 with bluetooth GPS. Details see here: http://wdaehn.blogspot.com/2008/04/after-thinking-about-it-for-longer-time.html

1. Why GPS data? Well, for the same reasons as you have all the other EXIF data. Except that with the information about flash yes/no, focal length etc you can't do much. But rightclicking an image and say "Where was it taken?" and getting the location shown in google maps is very neat.

2. Folks use that GPS data to tag images for better search. "Search for all pictures taken at home last summer". Isn't such a search a nice feature?

3. Had been on a trip with the kids. Was really nice to show others where we have been (GPS Logger functionality of the device) and the pictures.

4. Personally I am not a feature-person myself, rather make the existing things solid. But bluetooth would enable a lot of things. GPS obviously. Remote shutter release from the cell phone? Remote operate the camera via the cell phone similar to a stripped down version of Capture Control?

5. Would not build in GPS, but bluetooth only. GPS devices get better, are dependent on where they are located (jamming). And GPS takes not much but still enough power compared to a Class 2 bluetooth chip. So better have it external with its own battery.

My summary: GPS is not something you need but once you have it, it is really really nice and you don't want to miss it again.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: