Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - A40 "Blocked" - Map Share is a Disaster!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

A40 "Blocked" - Map Share is a Disaster!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
Have a look at N 53.77595 W 1.47051 and check if the Access Roads are marked correctly!! Mine aren't. Rolling Eyes

Ouch!!
That's the M1 Junction 45. Roads off the junction to a large estate to the NW are all marked as "dotted" ("tracks"? - never QUITE sure what that means EXACTLY).

But, I don't think that is a MapShare issue, just bad mapping (possibly).
If I tick or un-tick all the correction preferences, it stays the same....
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
Have a look at N 53.77595 W 1.47051 and check if the Access Roads are marked correctly!! Mine aren't. Rolling Eyes
That's ridiculous!! I've corrected SOME of it, but from here all I dare touch are the actual access roads, but there seem to be loads of roads which have been blocked. A whole Motorway junction completely out of action!!!

Is it possible for you to tell us which roads should be unblocked please Richard? I could quite easily get a job that way at any time.

I wonder if TT have records of which member of staff has input these changes?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Quote:
Is there any wonder why I stick with my ttg 300!!!

Or my i3... I did wonder when something like this might happen.

But you can choose whether to use Mapshare. It isn't compulsory! Wink

Although I still think the i3 is a great satnav, especially for the price it was when I bought it, I wouldn't want to go back to it after using the GO720 for a while. There are still a couple of things I prefer about the i3 (like the continuous overspeed warning when in the vicinity of a speed camera), but there are far more that I prefer about the 720, not least the much better timed turn directions.
Samsung Galaxy S21
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Planning a route to there it takes me all the way up to M1 J46, off round and back onto the M1 Southbound to M1 J45.

Just all the more reason for a map update. Seams to be a whole lot of roads in that area that are unnavigable.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Oldboy wrote:

Ouch!!
That's the M1 Junction 45. Roads off the junction to a large estate to the NW are all marked as "dotted" ("tracks"? - never QUITE sure what that means EXACTLY).

But, I don't think that is a MapShare issue, just bad mapping (possibly).
If I tick or un-tick all the correction preferences, it stays the same....

If you look at the attributes for 'dotted' roads you'll probably find that they are blocked in each direction. Hence TomTom won't navigate you onto these roads, it'll just direct you to the turn. It will navigate you off one of them if you're already on it, though.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Is it possible for you to tell us which roads should be unblocked please Richard? I could quite easily get a job that way at any time.
Pontefract Lane is open all the way into Cross Green.

The first road to the West of the junction is "Skelton Moor House". The road shown goes through a farmyard, the otherside of which it turns into a track!!

The next 'road', Thorns Farm Approach, is an Industrial Estate with made up roads!! Roads easily as good as those that come next at Felnex Way.

A bit of a lottery. Rolling Eyes

Tim Buxton wrote:
If you look at the attributes for 'dotted' roads you'll probably find that they are blocked in each direction.
They are indeed. Smile

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, this is probably due to the time it takes between roads opening and the maps being made. According to Leeds City Council's site regarding the East Leeds Link Road...
Quote:
The start of the construction of East Leeds Link Road was marked with an official launch ceremony on 2nd November 2006. When completed the road will open up the development of 250 hectares of land within Aire Valley Leeds, attracting private sector investment with the potential to create up to 20,000 jobs over the next 10-15 years.

The works will take approximately 2 years to complete and M1 Junction 45 will not be opened to traffic until the completion of East Leeds Link Road.

It could be that TomTom were planning to unblock roads already placed on the map when the junction opened instead of making us wait for next year's edition. Laughing

Later added: Just checked on map ver 5.71 on my Palm and it was the same layout then (2005).
Brodit ProClip mount
Hemlock
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could imagine the scenario where someone who was driving in a unfamiliar area and had a passenger who suddenly became ill (this did happen to a colleague once), and was trying to find a hospital say which had been ‘removed’ to another area some distance away. This situation and others like it are not beyond the realms of possibility.
Unfortunately and until these idiots move on to something else, it will be open to abuse.

TT One original-OS:2318
App 7.131
GB plus UK and IE plus major road of WE v675.1409
TT Home 2.1.2.121
GPS v1.21
Boot 5.0500
Transcend 2GB x150 SD Card
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Official reply from TomTom Reply with quote

A TomTom representative replied to our request for comment:
Quote:

Our dedicated Map share team received a correction from an end user to block a certain stretch on the A 40. The correction from the end user was also verified by a separate source. It was then afterwards blocked, however, as soon as contradicting corrections came in we immediately unblocked it once again.

This is how quickly and evolving the process of map share technology is; but it also shows how we are continually making sure that everything is functioning well for all our users.

Let's see how the system holds up in the future.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Official reply from TomTom Reply with quote

Quote:

Our dedicated Map share team received a correction from an end user to block a certain stretch on the A 40. The correction from the end user was also verified by a separate source. It was then afterwards blocked, however, as soon as contradicting corrections came in we immediately unblocked it once again.

I was going to say "so 'verified by TomTom' means just two reports!" but then realised that's what we go on for the speed cam database... Confused
LesMiserable
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might find one of the users is a reguglar updater so the had provided enough information before to be believed.

Where I work the town centre is being worked on for the next year and every friday & saturday drivers go down the street the wrong way as the signage is rubbish, I therefore mapshared the mistake, the problem now will be how quickly after the roadworks are finished will TT update the mapshare after i tell them ?
GPS v1.21 Boot 5.5022
TT Home v 2.7.6.2056
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Official reply from TomTom Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
but then realised that's what we go on for the speed cam database... Confused
But that is not so Mission Critical. Rolling Eyes

I noticed that it didn't say it was verified physically by TomTom, but by a "separate source".

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Pufin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They ring the local council? Or highways Agency? If not, they should, when road works are involved.

Two TomTom 500's
App 7.161 GPS v1.21 Boot 4.8600 Map Western_Europe_1GB v710.1561
Installed on 2gig sd cards.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pufin wrote:
They ring the local council? Or highways Agency? If not, they should, when road works are involved.
You should see the number of Specs cameras council and HA staff report before the cameras are actually erected - there are an awful lot which are positioned "by God and by Guess"!!

There's only one way for TT to do it properly - send a trained employee to go look in person. Or they could do it with an UNtrained employee, simply driving round with a video camera running, making commentary of his location or Correction reference for the camera. If I can do it for speed cameras, so can they. Teleatlas do it with something a darn sight bigger and more sophisticated than a little white van.

Multiple reports may also have their place, but remember the download option says "Corrections verified by Tom Tom". Tom Tom chose to introduce Mapshare, it was up to them to resource and operate it properly. On reflection, perhaps I'll send the above picture to Tom Tom together with my quote for full time verifying for them! Laughing

Richard's right about Mission Critical - I doubt if any member does several miles extra to detour around a camera. I go into London far too often, by whatever route appropriate for my destination. That closure could have given me some real grief, maybe even cost me a congestion charge on the detour.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
entwood
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In view of the above "errors" .. is it worth starting a "sticky" thread for "Mapshare Errors" ... where nothing else can be posted - all "yes I agree" etc etc deleted .. just the error and the poster details to show. That way the original poster can "edit" the error if/when it changes .. ie roadworks?

Any thoughts ... and more important .. moderators opinion ?? Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: