Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Satmap Active 10
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Satmap Active 10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dragsterman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Satmap Active 10 Reply with quote

First of all, hi, I've only just registered on this forum. Looks good so far.

I have just recently purchased a Satmap Active 10, this is my first GPS unit. Having just received the first map card I have ordered (Lake District National Park), it looks very impressive and I've already added a couple of my own routes with ease.

I have a few questions and queries which existing users may be able to answer, I have emailed Satmap with these queries via their website but as yet I haven't had a reply.

First of all, should the unit come with a full manual? All I got was a Quick Start guide.

Secondly, I understand that a software update is available for the unit? If so, how does one go about updating the unit? This is not explained in any documentation or on the Satmap website.

How do I upload gpx files to the unit? I have various routes I want to upload to the unit but have no idea what to do.

I have plugged the unit in to my PC using the USB cable but all that happened was the PC recognised it as a USB device. I also tried plugging it into a Mac but the unit wasn't recognised at all. Again, this compatibility is not explained anywhere either any documentation or on the website.

It's not self-explanatory how to add routes (gpx files) or update the software! Hope someone can help!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I've not heard of this unit mentioned on these forums at all yet, so you might be trail-blazing the route to knowledge yourself!

I had a look at their website,and it looks a very nice piece of kit - "real" O.S. maps!
I couldn't see a full manual for it either, I guess you've already got the quick guides on THIS PAGE already?

As for connecting to the PC, I assume it has been recognised as a new "mass storage device" and been given a drive letter. If so, that is a good start. Most of what you need to do on satnavs can be done by just dragging and dropping files (be they routes or POIs or voices or whatever) into the correct folder on the device. Brands like TomTom produce their own software to "help" manage it, but it is often easier and more obvious to do it the good old-fashioned way.

Sorry I can't offer any specific help on that brand, hopefully someone else out there knows it.
Dragsterman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Yeah, I've looked there already, the info wasn't there. I had thought about simply dragging and dropping the gpx files but I'd prefer it if I knew if this was the right procedure.

I've still got no idea how to update the system software though! Apparently it's available via the Satmap website but as yet I can't find anything!

Hopefully some other Satmap users may be able to shed some light here!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a rather lengthy thread on the active 10 which I started back around Easter when I first tried the unit at the Outdoor show at the NEC - try Here

In answer to your questions though:
The manual is a little brief in detail, but I found my unit to be very easy to use, as you have planned some walks on the device you are decending the learning curve quickly.

Not too sure about the software update, I do know there is one in the pipeline, whether this is available yet I do not know, neither am I aware of how this will be installed - although with the lack of USB connectivity (at the moment) it has to be via the SD slot IMHO.

To upload files to the device will require the PC interace application which is not yet available.

I am sure these extra "bits" will become available soon, for now you have to plan the routes on the device, I did a trip up and around Whernside last Saturday, it took around 5 mins to plan on the unit followed by over three hours to walk it (must get fitter Laughing ) - Mike

PS @ Andy - you need to leave the TT forums alone and look at some of the other pages from time to time Joker
Dragsterman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Yes, I had noticed the other rather lengthy thread. Smile

A reviewer of the unit said that a software update was already available via the Satmap website, so I am confused here. I can't find it.

The Quick Start guide isn't extensive enough really, after all it is only a 'quick start' guide so it does its job.

I look forward to the time when the PC or Mac (hopefully both) compatibility is introduced so I can upload some routes. Hopefully soon!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

PS @ Andy - you need to leave the TT forums alone and look at some of the other pages from time to time Joker

I THOUGHT that as I started reading your post Laughing

But in my defence, my usual browser tabs are set to: the Speed cam database/ POIs/ TomTom/ Dedicated Subscribers/ Beginners Lounge plus the YourNav site, so I usually get to hear about most of the other systems that appear (usually by people asking why there are no instructions for installing the camera database, when they have bought the first one off the production line! (I exaggerate, but you know what I mean Laughing ))
Dragsterman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had another go and plugged my Satmap Active 10 in to my PC just now. Again it appears as a Removable Disk with a drive letter assigned to it. When I click on the drive letter to access it, it says 'Disk is not formatted - Do you want to format it now?' Obviously I click No. So I'm still unable to upload any gpx files to the device.

Also, the flickering problem. The manual states in the Quick start user guide:

My screen is flickering.
- This is almost always due to an excessively high battery power. If the problem persists for more than a minute after turning on your Active10, please contact us.

So I did so by emailing them on Saturday about this and my other queries. As yet I haven't had a reply. Upon switching the device on this evening, the flickering seems to have worsened and it hasn't stopped flickering for the last 5 minutes and counting.

Anyone else had this flickering problem? I hope it's not always going to flicker like this.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will not get the device to be usable by the host PC without additional software on the PC, this is still to be released so you will have to wait to use your GPX files I am afraid.
I have had a flickering screen on two occasions, both were just after inserting new Energizer Lithium battery cells, my device settled down after a while though - try removing a cell then re-installing it and see if that makes any difference as this appears to reset the device - Mike
Dragsterman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, it certainly appears that way. Like everyone else I'm just as eager to get a few routes added and get the device used properly for what it is intended. It's a shame that there's no way to do this yet, I'm surprised that the software doesn't come with the unit itself. For the money you'd expect that and I think they've made them available too early perhaps in this case.

Having read through most of the other Satmap thread I see that we are all in the same boat regards things like the flickering. With the device switched on, the original batteries in and plugged in to the PC the flickering was more evident - probably due to a power surge if the device is drawing electricity from the PC? With the device not connected to the PC the flickering was less evident.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

I have had a flickering screen on two occasions, both were just after inserting new Energizer Lithium battery cells, my device settled down after a while though - try removing a cell then re-installing it and see if that makes any difference as this appears to reset the device - Mike

Mike - what sort of battery life are you getting from the device?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends on the type of cells fitted to the unit, I have been testing quite few different cells with the device only to find the digitising multimeter I was using for current measurement was also burdening the batteries and therefore messing up the durations.

With a set of Energizer Lithiums fitted (the same as supplied with the device) you will get around 10 hours with the back light on 100% and no power save options running, this is a total worst case scenario and not typical of how the device is used in the field. For example last Saturday I used the device out walking with it set up to power save correctly and found I only switched the backlight on for around 15 during a three and half hour walk, the current draw with the power save active makes a huge difference to current consumption - which is key to battery life.

I am re-running the battery tests using a low current clip on ammeter that doesn't burden the batteries at all, the results should be posted later this week. - Mike
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragsterman wrote:
...........Also, the flickering problem. The manual states in the Quick start user guide:

My screen is flickering.
- This is almost always due to an excessively high battery power. If the problem persists for more than a minute after turning on your Active10, please contact us.

So I did so by emailing them on Saturday about this and my other queries. As yet I haven't had a reply. Upon switching the device on this evening, the flickering seems to have worsened and it hasn't stopped flickering for the last 5 minutes and counting.

Anyone else had this flickering problem? I hope it's not always going to flicker like this.

I had this problem from the first startup, infact it was so bad that i had to return the unit for tests.
If you read my problem on the other thread (page 9), it related to the supplied 3 Energiser LITHIUM batteries being able to giving 1.8v (on a new set) not 1.5v as expected.
According to Satmap this is normal and the unit can cope with this, but it does give a flickering screen which i had for over three hours and no sign of it going.

Since then i have used re-chargable batteries at 2500mah and all is well, but i have still to compare times with other results left here.

I am hoping we might have better success with the proposed new rechargeable Lithium polymer battery pack - when it comes available.
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
Dragsterman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why on earth they've sold all these units with the flickering problem is bizarre. When I've showed this unit to people it's not exactly impressive to show off with a flickering screen every time you switch it on. I hope there will be a solution to this problem and like you say the rechargeable battery pack might be a solution. I still haven't had a reply back yet from Satmap, I emailed them on Saturday. The problems really should have been fixed before launch though, i.e. the flickering and the inability to upload gpx files.
marscoty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guy
I have had a Satmap now for 3 days, and I am pleased with it ,
it is a pain not being able to upload or download routes, but i think this maybe a 3rd party software problem,

you can use it as a kind of car nav, ok no sound but it does pick up a signal inside the car,and did help me find the start of my walk, I tried it on a hill walk on Sunday and it was a treat to use,

I dont like the usb cover, I have covered mine with black tape to hold it on.
screen flicker is ok here , yeah it did the 1st few times but its ok now
I will use recharges frm my own charger to power the thing
m
Dragsterman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received a reply from Satmap. By all accounts the Sat Sync software for uploading gpx files should be available in 2/3 weeks time. As for a Mac version this will taking longer to test, so no date is available at the moment.

As for the software update (v1.03) this has been produced in response to feedback, one of the features is the option of switching the crumb trail on and off and I'm told that this is a more efficient method for reading the map card. This will be available shortly. Satmap have kindly offered to send me this on an SD card to upload directly.

I mentioned the problem of flickering and it has been suggested that I try using ordinary alkaline batteries so when I get some fresh batteries I'll give it a try.

Regards the USB cover, obviously they've acknowledged this problem which is why they put 2 spare covers in the box. I hadn't actually noticed the spares until they told me! Doh. I'm told that they originally had the USB cover attached to the unit by a simple hinge mechanism but when the Satmap was previewed at shows, many people apparently managed to rip the USB cover off. So the decision was made to not have it attached by hinges. Obviously many people now see the current configuration as a defect so I'm told they're taking steps to modify it.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: