Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mac Trojan Horse
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac Trojan Horse
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Mac Trojan Horse Reply with quote

If you're enjoying the pleasure of a superior piece of equipment and operating system (not that I'm biased Wink ) and have been enjoying life without the risk of worms, viruses, Trojan horses etc you might be interested in in the following article(s).

This article explains a little about how this Trojan horse works and how to see if your system might be affected - here

This article explains things in layman's terms and may also be worth a read - here
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The problem is with his computer, as only six months after he moved from using a virus-prone Windows PC to a Macintosh computer the first serious threat to Mac users has been observed "in the wild
It's not the system at fault but the operator. Razz
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite. This isn't a virus as such, it's simply a method that takes advantage of a gullible user. A good reason why users who aren't capable of making an educated decision in such circumstances shouldn't have Admin access.

When this Trojan attempts to install it requires a user both to download and then authorise installation using the admin account. There isn't a lot you can do to stop that on any platform.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I win again then - great system and superior operator!!

...and for those mere Windows users, Time Machine is FANTASTIC - backup and restore any file or even restore a whole system without any files or software needing to be installed on the disk first...

...and being Mac - it just works Laughing
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...and for those mere Windows users,

Bring back the Amiga, all is forgiven. Razz
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
I win again then - great system and superior operator!!

...and for those mere Windows users, Time Machine is FANTASTIC - backup and restore any file or even restore a whole system without any files or software needing to be installed on the disk first...

...and being Mac - it just works Laughing

I've said it before and I shall say it again, I spent 10 years as a Systems Engineer running my own IT Business, all entirely PC based. When I finally had enough of mending PC's and Servers Idecided to try Mac for the first time. I bought myself a MacBook and threw out all the Windoze PC's.

I have never looked back, it's a thoroughly grown up operating system that would have done me out of a job had it become mainstream a few years back! We're now entirely Mac in my household, I can still access a WindowsOS via Parallels or BootCamp when I absolutely have to, I even persuaded MikeB to trial it a few years back and he's now hooked too with a room full of them!

I've not had a system crash in over two years, rarely have to reboot, don't have to install anti-virus (yet) and have groovy things like a backlit keyboard, slot loading DVD, MagSafe power, almost instant ON/OFF, I could go on and on Cool

Now all I need is to get my Leopard Install disks!

Last edited by Darren on Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen Macs working and was impressed, only problem is I would have to re-purchase all my software. Sad
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
Bring back the Amiga, all is forgiven. Razz

Now your talking, WorkBench 1.3 Very Happy Now that was one system way way ahead of its time, multitasking, Blitter Chip, three button mouse, full graphical OS in colour!
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macworld wrote:
This is really bad. Really.

Ummm, no it's not bad. Really.

If the trojan downloaded a root kit which replaced system binaries with modified ones so you couldn't see anything wrong with your Mac then THAT would be bad. Of course, the Mac is pretty much closed source so this can't be done as easily as Linux or Solaris.

This trojan looks like it was done by a 12 year old child. All it does is change the DNS and insert a cron job. It's child's play to fix, but the article doesn't seem to care that running crontab -r will delete the entire root crontab. I hope you don't have any other important cron jobs in there! DOH! Mad Twisted Evil

Don't get me wrong here - I like Macs, it's the daft Macworld article I'm having a pop at.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
I've seen Macs working and was impressed, only problem is I would have to re-purchase all my software. Sad

That depends on what software you use? They come with pretty much all most users need to get going, a decent word processor, photo app, iTunes, Web designer etc.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Now your talking, WorkBench 1.3 Now that was one system way way ahead of its time, multitasking, Blitter Chip, three button mouse, full graphical OS in colour
Yep, really good system which lost support of the software developers and I finally decided to go for Win 95, as Macs at the time were not really designed as gaming machines.

I remember someone inviting me to see their new Super Duper Windows system where you could click on icons to get programmes running. What a suprise when I realised I had been doing that for a few years with the Amiga. Silly Commodore, what were they thinking???
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
Ummm, no it's not bad. Really.

Hit the nail on the head there, unnecessary scare-mongering and headline grabbing methinks.
Quote:
It's child's play to fix, but the article doesn't seem to care that running crontab -r will delete the entire root crontab. I hope you don't have any other important cron jobs in there! DOH! Mad Twisted Evil

That was particularly bad, I guess you could assume that if you need to be talked through deleting cron jobs then you are unlikely to be the type of user who has cron jobs running. But as my Army SSgt used to yell at us, one should never ASSUME because that makes an A S S out of U and ME Very Happy

Last edited by Darren on Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
I remember someone inviting me to see their new Super Duper Windows system where you could click on icons to get programmes running. What a suprise when I realised I had been doing that for a few years with the Amiga. Silly Commodore, what were they thinking???

My particular path was
  1. Sinclair ZX80 Home-built and which didn't work and had to be sent back to be built properly!
  2. Sinclair ZX81, ah the heady days of the 16k RamPack!
  3. Sinclair Spectrum, upgraded to 48k, damn that tape drive!
  4. Amiga 500
  5. Amiga 2000, upgraded with twin 3.5's and a 20Mb HDD which cost a small fortune!
  6. Many PC's, Win2.0, 3.0, 3.11, 95, 98, 98SE, ME, NT, 2000, XP & Vista
  7. Mac, OS X

Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Lost_Property wrote:

My particular path was
  1. Sinclair ZX80 Home-built and which didn't work and had to be sent back to be built properly!
  2. Sinclair ZX81, ah the heady days of the 16k RamPack!
  3. Sinclair Spectrum, upgraded to 48k, damn that tape drive!
  4. Amiga 500
  5. Amiga 2000, upgraded with twin 3.5's and a 20Mb HDD which cost a small fortune!
  6. Many PC's, Win2.0, 3.0, 3.11, 95, 98, 98SE, ME, NT, 2000, XP & Vista
  7. Mac, OS X

1 to 4 the same but then Amiga 1200, Win95, 98, 98SE Millennium (Spit) and XP Home. I remeber the first time I sat end entered, line by line, Hangman into the ZX81, really imprssive back then, switched off and next day couldn't work out why Hangman had disappeared. Confused Mad

I have considered trying Linux as a dual boot, to see how good it is, but as I said earlier, the software I use Nero 7, MGI PhotoSuite4, Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2, and MS Moviemaker & Media player, it could prove costly to change.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:

Not with an Intel machine - you can run Windows AND Mac OS

...but a little known fact - Microsoft Office was released for Mac before the Windows version came out and people still say that it's a better product (you still get that annoying paperclip thingy though Rolling Eyes )

and if you want to save a bit of money, what about a refurbished unit - complete with 12 month warranty?? I don't have a vested interest in this - it's just something that a lot of people aren't aware of...if anyone wants further information PM me because I don't want to be accused of advertising

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: