Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Day one of TT Traffic use.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Day one of TT Traffic use.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
123dixie123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Day one of TT Traffic use. Reply with quote

After getting excited coz after months of not being able to conect up to TT plus services etc I have been out and about covering 250 miles today (Oxford area). Result is that the Traffic info is next to useless. The real traffic jam it told me was 5 miles before the actual jam! Then on my way home it didn't inform me of either of the two half hour delays I ended up sitting in! If they could keep it updated better then if would be a very usefull addition as it now works perfectly via my phones GPRS updating itself etc etc. Damn glad I didn't buy the new so called 'mended' updated antenna thing if they use the same info. Ah-well back to checking traffic hold ups to old way.... Happy days.
mikentl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Dixie, I've been thinking of getting this but keep putting it off, I will put it off a bit longer now, untill I hear something a bit more encouraging.
TVR
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reminder ladies & Gents,

TT Traffic is best when you have a planned route. And also select as many roads as you can think you would use (Via Home/Web).

I use traffic and cover 50K miles/year. The delay times may be erronious sometimes, but I'm reasonable happy with traffic.

Sygic for android in HD
Cameralert - pending

TomTom consigned to the bin, after 6 years loyal service.
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use TT Traffic via GPRS every day, and mostly it is very good and has saved me several hours in delays.

Sometimes it does not update fast enough to show that delays have cleared but otherwise it's fine.
Not 100% perfect, but no system is.

Previously I have used Trafficmaster and Traffic-i, and found that on the M42 you get no warnings at all between J6 and 3a, but TomTom traffic works fine.
duckie008
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had any problems with TT traffic.
idiot
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My £29.95 yearly subscription is worthless in my opinion, the traffic info is so so.It shows a permanent jam on the M40 24/7 for the last two weeks,TomTom have recommended I send the TT720 unit back for repair.

May as well:
1)Check the highways agencey website before leaving 2)Dial the traffic service on my mobile. 3)Use the TP service on the car radio.

Its all a money spinner if you ask me.And yes I fell for it.
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the TT Traffic service via GPRS quite good.

I normally have it updating every 5 mins on a journey, and even on O2 I don't find it that expensive.

The only times it's let me down is when something has not long happened. Even the radio reports can be an hour or so out.

It's saved me more times than dropping me in it, so I for one will continue to use the service.

I can't get a signal with my ViaMichelin 'string' most of the time, so can't comment on accuracy with the TMC service with any great knowledge.
Hamie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used the original TT GPRS service that was included with the Go500, a Garmin Nuvi 660 with GTM-21 TMC unit, and now the Go720 with GPRS... And I have to say they're all quite different and not a little disappointing...

I'd still have to rate the current GPRS service via the Go720 to be the best one I've seen so far... In terms of accuracy and interface.

The Accuracy & interface of the Go500 with GPRS traffic was just abysmal. I'd get alerts for non-existent traffic jams (One persistent one for roadworks outside my work every day that just didnt' exist) and I'm not sure I ever got an alert for a real traffic jam... Needless to say I didn't renew my subscription. When I sold my Go500 I bought a Nuvi based on reviews for that model showing traffic on the map interface (The Go500 would only show traffic on your current planned route) and using TMC... I thought great... However garmins continuing quest to dumb down the interface of the Nuvi660 and the head in the sand approach to the fact that the GTM-21 just isn't fit for purpose in the UK soon had me selling the Nuvi on eBay. Plus the damn thing couldn't even display your speed & time to destination. Only arrival time and a bloody MP3 player button...

(After someone from these forums me around wanting to swap and then leaving me high & dry cancelling at the last minute when I was on my way to do the swap. They know who they are).

Anyway... I have alist of Nuvi660 hates if anyone wants a rant sometime...

I then got a Go720. Just for the interface really. And discovered that TomTom have done a wonderful job of actually listening to my requests and implementing

1. Auto-zoom disable.
2. Showing ALL the traffic on the map display, not just that on your current route.
3. They've actually gone and made the GPRS traffic service reasonably accurate...

yes... Reasonably accurate. It's not right ALL the time... But I regularly get alerts for the A404(M) southbound (Didn't exist for garmin, nor the old Go500), alerts for the M4, A4 etc... Roads that TM don't cover at all are now alerting..

I'd guess in excess of 75% hitrate... False positives are quite high. I get quite a few instances of alert but no real traffic to speak of. But I get very few false negatives (missed alerts) now with the GPRS service (At least on the M4, Thames Valley corridor).

The interface is also quite good. If a little pessimistic on the delays around the m4. It's not always clear where all the delays are coming from at a glance though... Your closest delay USUALLY gets a time on it at the side bar, but not sure I've seen subsequent ones with the delay shown.. My wife does get a bit annoyed when I should 'NO!' at it when it wasks if I want to re-route sometimes though Smile (That is a cool feature).

Sorry, I've rambled a bit... But the TTTraffic, both accuracy (Acceptable, if nothing to write home about) and the interface (Which is almost brilliant) is actuially quite good. And well worth the 29.95 I spent on it (Hey it used to be about 50.00 and completely useless).

H

[/i]
123dixie123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad Yep have to agree with you. The interface for Traffic is brill, shame the actual reports are next to useless. Having only just been able to get my Traffic to work for the 1st time in nearly a year (reason = unknown) I find that my subscription runs out next week. So guess what Mr TT I shall not be paying for another year !!!!! And before any 'kind' soul says I should argue with TT over the fact that I have only been able to use it recently, I can't be bothered. The tt otherwise works ok and has Mobilnova installed, which is just perfect for my useage (especialy when stuck in traffic jams). Now if TT could come up with some sort of Traffic jam warning system..................... Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: