Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 520 or 920, T or no T!?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 520 or 920, T or no T!?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vibeone
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: TomTom 520 or 920, T or no T!? Reply with quote

ok, further to my quest to own every tomtom there's ever been (promise this IS the last), I've got a few quick questions....

1) Based on the fact that I have large (2gb) SD cards already, and don't travel in europe, is there ANY reason to get a 720 over a 520?

2) If I get a 520, and then wanted a western europe map later, would tomtom let me buy this for a 520? (put it on a sd card since the internal memory is limited)

3) I want the NEW TMC that actually works in this country. Do the T models in halfords/currys/etc come with this newer version?

thanks
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could purchase a Euro map and install it to one of your SD cards so long as they are fast enough, I would need to check prices out but with the current new map offer purchasing a 520 and then a new Euro map might work out the same price as a 720, if not it will certainly be close.

As for the RDS TMC device in the stores you would have to ask them to show you the actual device, near the connector on the RDS device will be a number if it ends in .013 its the new receiver, any other number would be the earlier lessor units that have been problematic.
You could send the RDS device back to TT demanding the new one though. The other give away that it is the new receiver is the connector, if it is straight it is the new unit all the angled connectors were used on the earlier inferiour receivers.

I cannot be any more specific relative to what any single shop carrys in stock, you need to see the hardware, I have posted in another thread on the forum a series of photos that show each of the different receivers, being mobile at the moment is difficult to locate the exact post but I will have a look later if you cannot find it - Mike
HummerUK
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went for the 520 as have no use for europe maps plus the annual cost of updating uk only maps will mean a lower annual cost to keep mapshare working.

Classic FM reception sucks big time in my area and even hardly works with a Navam RDS module which has a better aerial.

RDS on Garmin units works 100% in my area (even in my garage) but with TT devices via mobile phone data is the only working option.

BTW, I live in East Sussex on the coast.

HummerUK
vibeone
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi thanks both of you -

I will 99.999999% never need the europe mapping, so really that is a done deal - I'll go for the 520 I think.

The RDS thing is a bit of a pain. I'm up north and classic fm is not bad (not that i ever listen mind). Is it possible to hack the thing to use my radio aerial on a splitter?

Still think a 520 is the way to go, and it does seem to be cheaper to get the TMC with it at the time of purchase.

However that does mean I'll have to get it in the high street rather than online (To make sure I get the latest version)
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in a very poor area for Classic reception, the new device works considerably better in and around the Fylde coast area. There are a number of new transmitters that will supliment the network in the NW of UK so things are looking up, where exactly are you? - Mike
vibeone
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

North notts - fairly level etc, not middle of no where by any means.

So in answer to my question then, buying a T model of the x20 range does NOT guarantee you the latest model.

Interesting.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will all depend upon stock the shop have on the shelf, as I said earlier if you are going to buy a T version make them open the box and prove which receiver it actually is, if the part number attached to the receiver (not on the packet or box) differs from ending with .013 either walk away or take your chance getting it swapped for a new one from TomTom - Mike
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at the pictures in my post Here as this will highlight the differences between the different devices - Mike
vibeone
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike - Really REALLY appreciate it.

I'm actually gonna print them pics off and take them with me when I go to purchase!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: