Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How do I expand TomTom 720 memory ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How do I expand TomTom 720 memory ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madou
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: How do I expand TomTom 720 memory ? Reply with quote

I bought a 2GB SD memory stick in the hope that this would just add to the 2GB internal memory, but the reported free space just includes the internal memory

I have done a reset, and the boot screen shows a blue SD memory icon during boot, in addition to the usual internal memory icon

What do I need to do so that I can expand the memory and install newer, larger maps such as Western and Central Europe ?
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you connect to HOME you should be offered the choice of selecting Internal memory or Memory card. Choose Memory card and you should be able to install maps to that location.
madou
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:
When you connect to HOME you should be offered the choice of selecting Internal memory or Memory card. Choose Memory card and you should be able to install maps to that location.

Tim

Thank you for your response. My problem is that HOME 2.1.2.121 does not offer me this choice, so that when I come to install a map, I only see the free space on internal memory, and I cannot see a menu option to let me switch between internal and additional memory

Regards
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you click on 'Device' the third option should be "Change Install Location". If you click this you should get a screen inviting you to select 'Memory Card' or 'Internal memory'.
Samsung Galaxy S21
madou
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
If you click on 'Device' the third option should be "Change Install Location". If you click this you should get a screen inviting you to select 'Memory Card' or 'Internal memory'.

I installed TomTom Home 1.5 on another laptop as a sanity check.When I select Device | Change Device I get only

Device "TomTom GO 720(2GB) "INTERNAL""
Installed as "TomTom GO 720(2GB)"

Does this mean that the Memory Card is not being recognised ?
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never used Home 1.5, but in Home 2.1.2.121 there should be 3 options under 'Device' - 'Disconnect Device', 'Change Device' and 'Change Install Location'. If you click on the last of these you should get the screen where you can select the internal memory or the card.
Samsung Galaxy S21
madou
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
I have never used Home 1.5, but in Home 2.1.2.121 there should be 3 options under 'Device' - 'Disconnect Device', 'Change Device' and 'Change Install Location'. If you click on the last of these you should get the screen where you can select the internal memory or the card.

I have upgraded Home 1.5.106 to 2.1.2.121, however the options "Change Device" and "Change Install Location" are greyed out from the top level "Device" Menu, which I take to mean that the external memory card is not recognised. Am I correct ?
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I get if I connect the device without the card inserted, so I guess you're right.

What SD card are you using? Early on there were some cards that didn't seem to be compatible with the 720. There's a thread somewhere that people posted their experiences with various cards. I'll try to find it.

In the meantime if you can post which card you're using maybe someone with more knowledge about it can help.

Just a thought, the little switch on the side of the card is in the 'unlock' position?
Samsung Galaxy S21
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the thread HERE but I don't think it relates to your problem.

Sorry, I don't think I can help further. Hopefully someone with more experience of TomTom devices/Home/SD cards will be along.
Samsung Galaxy S21
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madou wrote:
Tim Buxton wrote:

Tim

Thank you for your response. My problem is that HOME 2.1.2.121 does not offer me this choice, so that when I come to install a map, I only see the free space on internal memory, and I cannot see a menu option to let me switch between internal and additional memory

Regards

In that case it is not seeing your card. On the Go, bottom right of it's screen should be 2 flashing icons, 1 is the internal memory the other your card.
On the TomTom Home screen it should say TomTom Home Welcome to Home Please select Device you want to use. Memory Card Internal Memory.

The 720's are very picky about which card they will work with, they must be high speed and even then they will only work with some, out of 8 SD Cards I have all High speed it will only work with a 2 Gig SanDisc I bought from Tesco's and the 4GB PRT card from Novatech which is in at the moment.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
madou
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xda wrote:
madou wrote:
Tim Buxton wrote:

Tim

Regards

In that case it is not seeing your card. On the Go, bottom right of it's screen should be 2 flashing icons, 1 is the internal memory the other your card.
On the TomTom Home screen it should say TomTom Home Welcome to Home Please select Device you want to use. Memory Card Internal Memory.

The 720's are very picky about which card they will work with, they must be high speed and even then they will only work with some, out of 8 SD Cards I have all High speed it will only work with a 2 Gig SanDisc I bought from Tesco's and the 4GB PRT card from Novatech which is in at the moment.

I am using a 2GB SanDisk which I bought from The Car Phone Warehouse. I don't have any another SD cards to try it with, and have checked the lock position on the SD card itself

Is there any brand / size which is more likely to work ? It is an expensive lucky dip having to buy a few cards Sad
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madou wrote:
Is there any brand / size which is more likely to work ? It is an expensive lucky dip having to buy a few cards Sad

If you follow my link above you can see which cards have been found to be OK by others.
Samsung Galaxy S21

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: