Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Cheap DAB For The Car
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Cheap DAB For The Car

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Cheap DAB For The Car Reply with quote

http://www.t3.co.uk/news/247/entertainment/radio/pure_hits_the_road

looks quite nifty actually! a decent solution for someone with an old stereo with no other way of inputting audio to the stereo!

MaFt
DaveNN
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Cheap DAB For The Car Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
http://www.t3.co.uk/news/247/entertainment/radio/pure_hits_the_road

looks quite nifty actually! a decent solution for someone with an old stereo with no other way of inputting audio to the stereo!

MaFt

Have just put to the top of my pressie list!
Thanks for this info.

Cheers
DaveNN
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it weren't for the FM link method it would have been great. But my experience of FM Transmitter solutions is that they are all cr*p. Seems pointless to upgrade to DAB and then rely on the vagaries of FM Trasnmitters to get the sound out Confused

The Revo is a much better solution. If you wire it in at least you get proper HiFi sound. It also has an FM Tx Option if you're happy to put up with the constant retuning

http://www.revo.co.uk/digital-radio/in-car.php
DaveNN
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
If it weren't for the FM link method it would have been great. But my experience of FM Transmitter solutions is that they are all cr*p. Seems pointless to upgrade to DAB and then rely on the vagaries of FM Trasnmitters to get the sound out Confused

The Revo is a much better solution. If you wire it in at least you get proper HiFi sound. It also has an FM Tx Option if you're happy to put up with the constant retuning

http://www.revo.co.uk/digital-radio/in-car.php

Talk about peeing on my bonfire!!! Sad
However, the FM transmitter will be as near to the infotainment system as you can get it....& it still seems a good/cheap way to get the digital channels & TMS in the Summer!!)
How 'cr*p' is 'cr*p'?
Must still be better than the AM reception???
Can't really hard wire a better alternative to my system (Co car).
I'll check the link out now...thanks

Cheers
DaveNN
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave the FM transmitter issue is more to do with finding a free unused FM frequency in which to tune the cars radio and the device transmitting the audio over FM in to.
In Lancashire you will not have a problem at all find a free area to use (try 106,3 if you ever get one as this works well for me Laughing ), in major built up cities such as London finding a frequency devoid of any other transmission is very difficult (read nigh on impossible).

In use the DAB unit will output the audio on its assigned frequency which is received by the vehicles aerial (close proximity to the head unit is not necessary as this doesn't have a built in FM aerial). The output power of the DAB unit will be very small to comply with the UK legislation pertaining to FM audio transmitters, which have only been legal to use in this country for around 11 months.

The problem is when you move into an area with an FM transmission that is of a slightly higher power level than your in vehicle transmitter, the radio will try receiving both the radio station and the in car devices output, this leads to distortion/ poor quality. A cabled connection or better still A2DP (Stereo via Bluetooth) are both considerably better in terms of audio quality and do not suffer from interference, the downside is cost though - Mike
DaveNN
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Dave the FM transmitter issue is more to do with finding a free unused FM frequency in which to tune the cars radio and the device transmitting the audio over FM in to.
In Lancashire you will not have a problem at all find a free area to use (try 106,3 if you ever get one as this works well for me Laughing ), in major built up cities such as London finding a frequency devoid of any other transmission is very difficult (read nigh on impossible).

In use the DAB unit will output the audio on its assigned frequency which is received by the vehicles aerial (close proximity to the head unit is not necessary as this doesn't have a built in FM aerial). The output power of the DAB unit will be very small to comply with the UK legislation pertaining to FM audio transmitters, which have only been legal to use in this country for around 11 months.

The problem is when you move into an area with an FM transmission that is of a slightly higher power level than your in vehicle transmitter, the radio will try receiving both the radio station and the in car devices output, this leads to distortion/ poor quality. A cabled connection or better still A2DP (Stereo via Bluetooth) are both considerably better in terms of audio quality and do not suffer from interference, the downside is cost though - Mike

Thanks Mike,
I appreciate the detailed response. Very Happy
I've come across such things for Ipods (& have an RF/Opentherm enabled central heating controller...which is great & cost me nowt...coz I sell them!!) What I hadn't considered is the issue with the FM band being a bit clogged down south!! Saying that though, as the choice would be wider, perhaps I could find something worth listening to?? The option for a Blue Tooth installation is worth consideration. I have a Bluetooth enabled port in the car & have used it to play MP3's from the mobile from time to time. The installation guy from Orange didn't know that this could be done & had assumed that the phone had to be mounted in the cradle.
I've not looked that closely at the DAB unit BUT wonder if it offers traffic information & such.
Perhaps the Forum could blag one & review it for us?

Cheers
DaveNN
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It (the PURE Highway) does have headphone socket - so a direct connection to existing in-car system is possible. Seems nice. It comes with an internal aerial - but I suspect this will only work well in strong signal areas - ie close to the transmitters.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.pure.com/Products/Product.asp?Product=VL-60905&PageType=Features

has audio in as well as headphone socket so should be ok - might keep an eye out for a cheap one

MaFt
DaveNN
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
http://www.pure.com/Products/Product.asp?Product=VL-60905&PageType=Features

has audio in as well as headphone socket so should be ok - might keep an eye out for a cheap one

MaFt

Quite a few examples on ebay (Acoustic Solutions for instance), with a windscreen mount for the antenna for DAB...looks a bit of a pig to fit...but seems cheap enough. In the process of recce'ing for the next motor, so would look out for an 'Aux In' feature on the sound system...thus negating the need for a FM transmitter.

As ever, any advice is appreciated.

Cheers
DN

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: