Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Christmas is coming.....
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Christmas is coming.....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What would you buy your other half for Christmas ?
Something really expensive
38%
 38%  [ 8 ]
Something cheap and nasty
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Something you could use yourself
28%
 28%  [ 6 ]
Nothing, being with you at Christmas is enough
33%
 33%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 21

philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GJF wrote:

Never mind Christmas presents, i've got my son (just turned 17) badgering me for a car and it's not Christmas yet. Shocked

He has already spent £100's on speaker systems and he hasn't got a car to put them in, or (small point to him) had one lesson yet. Confused Shocked

One way to approach this is to say you will buy the car but he has to supply the running costs - then log him onto an insurance quote company and see what reaction you get Wink
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philpugh wrote:
One way to approach this is to say you will buy the car but he has to supply the running costs - then log him onto an insurance quote company and see what reaction you get Wink

That is what i have done.

I will buy the car, he will either pay for the insurance through a part time job, I promised to help here if he shows that he has done his best as he still at school with A levels and he will finance the running costs.

We have already been through the insurances (horendous quotes) the best option is for me to insure his car in my name, with him as the second driver. It doesn't help him earning no-claim points though, surprisingly if it does goes "pear shaped" it doesn't effect the no claims on my car as i'm protected.
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
alistairm1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have voted, but up 'till now not posted, as I considered my vote to be sufficient without additional comment.
However, this seems to be a cause of consternation for some, so I thought I had better post something, just to help reduce the worries.

I have voted "something expensive", as I expect to be made redundant early next year and this could be the last opportunity. Sad
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GJF wrote:
He has already spent £100's on speaker systems and he hasn't got a car to put them in, or (small point to him) had one lesson yet. Confused Shocked

Tell him he should have spent the hundreds on a car then. ;)
DaveNN
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
My wife and I aren't giving each other anything 'big' this year and haven't for the past few years...we have each other, so what else could we possibly need? Love it Love it Love it Love it

...as long as the kids get what they want, that's enough to break the bank these days...not like it was when I was a lad!!

...and we buy each other things during the course of the year

My other half gets something big whenever she wants it (not just for xmas)......but (typically) waits until I'm out of the country on business!! Laughing
As she (thankfully) doesn't have to go out to work, so she spends my (our!!) money on me- as I do for her!!
This year she's getting a laptop (free with AOL broadband!!) BUT I reckon she'll find it on top of the wardrobe before the week's out!!
So it'll be scent she doesn't like, jewellery that'll turn her neck green & other stuff that she could've bought herself & left me to wrap!!
Personally, I detest Xmas & the 'magic' is saved by our 2yr old son (the other lads are well past all the Father Xmas stuff!!)
He wants a Barbie Horse, a 'puter & a Barbie Elephant (or summat)!! He's getting a gun, boxing gloves, numchuks etc etc etc Wink

Merry Chrismas!!!
DaveNN
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

999tommo wrote:
Well there are certainly some good suggestions (and some not so good) however I think if I didn't give my 7 year old daughter (we were late starters) something for Xmas and took her to Center Parks or up the Alps, She would be miffed. A shocking pink Nintendo DS is what she wants (together with every item from every advert on TV). My mother and father in law (about the age of DennisN) want a Nintendo Wii (yes really), but 'er indoors hasn't mentioned a thing.

As for budget, well there isn't one. If whatever I get costs alot, I'll just have to issue lots of on-the-spot fines in the new year. Like a seat belt ticket.....£30 and you must pay it to the court within 28 days, or a special price of £20 if you pay me now, but I can't give you a receipt... Wink

The Nintendo Wii is BRILLIANT....it's helped (Wii Sports) to 'fix' my shoulder about 2 months ahead of 'schedule'. The kids don't get a look in...it is MINE afterall!!!
Treat the missus with one...you'll love her (even more) for it!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's a Nintendo Wii? Never mind, I'll Google it.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
What's a Nintendo Wii? Never mind, I'll Google it.

Wiki wrote:
The Wii (pronounced as the pronoun we, IPA: /wiː/) is the fifth home video game console released by Nintendo. The console is the direct successor to the Nintendo GameCube. Nintendo states that its console targets a broader demographic than that of Microsoft's Xbox 360 and Sony's PlayStation 3,[3] but it competes with both as part of the seventh generation of gaming systems.

When the gran kids say "I'm going off to play with my wee!" they really mean the little white games console next to the tv. And when the gran kids are screaming and waving their arms and legs about the livingroom, they could easily be playing said games console or throwing a fit! Who knows.

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son is too young to know better (he'll be 18 months in December - I started late and he was a VERY pleasant surprise) and he has more than enough toys for us to give him because a local toy shop was closing down last Christmas and we pretty much bought it out Laughing

our joy was short-lived though because he was rushed into hospital at the beginning of January with pneumococcal meningitis...a week in paediatric intensive care then 3 weeks on a high dependency unit...but he pulled through

Now for something that might surprise you - the overnight accommodation for parents in the intensive care unit are provided by Ronald McDonald's childrens' charity, and it was immaculate - being put in a situation where the last thing on your mind is sleep, my attitude towards McDonalds changed and all those pennies that go into the charity collection giving parents somewhere to go.

In the south of England, there are only FOUR paediatric intensive care units - Southampton, Bristol, London and Oxford. Luckily, our local unit in Southampton (20-30 minutes away) had a space

I don't want to dwell on it, but we're hoping that this Christmas and New Year will be less eventful

I bought my wife a GPS for Valentine's Day - so she can find her way to my heart (groan)

Christmas is really for the kids who are still young enough for the magic and intrigue of Santa...the rest of us just eat and drink too much
wiz
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
Christmas is really for the kids who are still young enough for the magic and intrigue of Santa...the rest of us just eat and drink too much

agree with you on that 1.

It makes my day watching my daughters opening there gifts

Hope the little GPS fan is fighting fit for this crimbo. and you all enjoy it.

Wiz
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wiz wrote:
Hope the little GPS fan is fighting fit for this crimbo. and you all enjoy it.

Thanks.

wiz wrote:
It makes my day watching my daughters opening there gifts

Yes, and it can take kids most of the day to open their presents - and when they're young, they have as much fun with the wrapping and boxes as they do with the actual present
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When my daughter was 2 she spent most of Christmas playing with the wrapping and boxes, the following Christmas we in included an empty wrapped box. When she opened it her little face dropped, all she said was "Father Christmas forgot to put the present in"
We then had to explain that Father Christmas didn't have a big enough box to put her Bike in and he had left it in the garage. Needless to say boxes and wrappings didn't get a look in.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
What sort of pollster is it who can't even vote in his own poll? Confused

If I had a view and therefore a vote Dennis, I wouldn't need to ask you lot for advice......doh ! That was the whole point of the poll.

Regularly absent, but still here in spirit !
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I waved (discreetly, which is to say, below window level) to every police car and police bike I saw north of the border this weekend, but none of them waved back - I suppose none of them was you. Don't they have a lot of speed cameras up your way? If it's not Gatsos it's Mobiles and if it's not Mobiles it's Specs!! I just hope they didn't overstress GO720 #5, it was shouting so often.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis,

That's where the known knowns, known unknowns, unknown knowns and unknown unknowns play a part - but your GO720 # 5 should take a lot of the unknowns out of the equation and make them known to you.

Binary...do they still teach that?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: