Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Can't buy maps for x20 models
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Can't buy maps for x20 models

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scainer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: Can't buy maps for x20 models Reply with quote

I just thought i'd share this with you guys to have a laugh at me. Read lots of post, but this is my first. Enjoy.

background
I'm traveling to California in two weeks so i thought i'd get the go720 and purchase the US map.

Due to reading up about all the SD card issues, i thought i'd give Tomtom an e-mail to ease my worries.

I sent them the following......
me wrote:

I am traveling to the USA and firstly i have been worried reading about issues with SD cards. Are these issues i've read about now solved?
Also there where two different USA maps one is 900MB and the other is 1400MB. The larger one now states that its for the Go710.
Are these maps the same (one being compressed), or is there more data in the larger map?

To ilistrate my second question

In the Q&A . . .
What size memory card (SD card) do I need to install my downloadable map?
Map of North America v6.75 - 2GB
Map of USA & Canada v6.75 - 1GB
I'd like to know what the difference of these maps are.

I had a panic attack when i got the reply.

Tomtom wrote:

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer support.

The TomTom Go 720 does not support our downloadable maps at this time. The maps will be changed in the near future to enable them to be used with the Go 720 and other new models.
Both of these maps are identical in terms of content, but, again, neither of them will work on the Go 720 at this time.
We apologize for the confusion. It would appear that there is a mistake on the FAQ Webpage that you refer to. We apologize for the misinformation. The information I gave above is correct.

With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team

I think you can understand that i wasn't best pleased, but after heavily editing my reply after the double malt / prozac cocktail, i replied.

me wrote:

I'm very confused!

Are you telling me that the GO720 that a bought to go on holiday in 10 days doesn't have the ability to install the map required?
Have i wasted my money on it and on the memory card and case that i bought separately ?

If this is true this is a disgrace, how can you release an incomplete product and show maps via HOME that don't even work?

Will i be able to return the product to the shop? as it can't do what i wanted it for. I feel very upset about this as I'm going to need to hire a sat-nav system.

What can you recommend that i do?
Can you send me a pre-release go920 via nextday courier? (for testing while i'm there)

Here comes the best bit . . . . ..

tomtom wrote:

Fortunately the new maps can now be used on your Go 720.
Since the maps have only just been made compatible with the Go 520 and 720, you will not find these models listed in the drop down menu when you are asked to choose your model. Choose any of the other models listed instead to move past this step.

The maps will definitely work on your new Go 520/720 now.

With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team

Before their final reply i rang them because i wanted an answer seeing that time was pressing. I was told that i could purchase the map on SD memory card and it is compatible with the 720. I was calm when ringing and didn't even mention the e-mails, i just asked about the map and the SD card was the solution they gave me.

I have actually ordered the SD card because i thought for the price i get the map and a free memory card.

I think the confusion at tomtom is laughable. Reading between the lines, i'm guessing the 920 will have a new map version. Unfortunately i have no choice but to buy the currently available map, hopefully its not too out of date.

Their first reply nearly causes some serious health problems, but hopefully all will work out.
Will be able to test the map out by Thursday.

Last edited by Scainer on Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had something very similar (in fact even more laughable!). Apologies for repeating it for those who've seen it before.

CS insisted that the reason no maps were listed for the x20 models was because v6.75 maps wouldn't work on the x20 models and when I suggested that wasn't the case got this:

me wrote:
2. Also, for your information: On the map purchase page, it is still not possible to select the 520 or 720 models.

them wrote:
2. The reason the 520 and 720 do not show up on the map purchasing page is because there are not, as of yet, any new maps for these devices. The 520 is equipped with the latest regional Map, the 720 has all of Western Europe.

me wrote:
Re: your answer #2. So what would I do if I wanted to buy the Western and Central Europe map or a map of the USA, or any of the other areas not covered by the western Europe map?

them wrote:
Thank you for your response.

At this time there are no options for new maps for the 520/720.
That is to say, as they are still quite new, there have not yet been any updates created for purchase for these devices.
Please keep updated by checking our website for the latest news.

me wrote:
You say: "At this time there are no options for new maps for the 520/720"
Surely this answer is misleading if not simply wrong. Existing maps all work on the 520/720 and if I needed a map of the US, I would not be happy to be told there were none available, when they are!

them wrote:
Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support.

I do apologize if my wording was misleading.

Currently, there are no maps available for purchase for the TomTom GO 520/720
That is to say, at this time, neither are there options to purchase maps for the 520 nor are there options to purchase maps for the 720.

The last reply is just wonderful!! Clap
superseagulls
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one positive though......

at least you got reply's from your emails and calls, and weren't confronted with TT's 'Legendary' Customer service..... Wink

They do seem to have a way to make your blood boil, it seems they try to make everything so difficult!
Scainer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I'm a little worried about the SD map i ordered.

tomtom wrote:

Currently, there are no maps available for purchase for the TomTom GO 520/720
That is to say, at this time, neither are there options to purchase maps for the 520 nor are there options to purchase maps for the 720.

You got the reply that there are no options!
The way I read my replies was that they were only talking about the downloadable maps.

Hopefully . . . .
tomtom wrote:

The maps will definitely work on your new Go 520/720 now.

Is their most up to date response, and proves to be correct.

Maybe these responses have been an internal failure of communication, and its a deli customer services centre, that haven't been updated since the x20 models where released.
I just hope that it was because the web site maps section hasn't been updated and as the x20 don't get shown they just reply that nothing is available.

One last thing. . . . .
Did you notice that they didn't answer my first question about memory cards. This could be another reason why the maps where not available for download.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: