Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Want to avoid panic, plese advise. TT1V2 EU map upgrade
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Want to avoid panic, plese advise. TT1V2 EU map upgrade

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wibbly
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Want to avoid panic, plese advise. TT1V2 EU map upgrade Reply with quote

Travelling to Namibia very shortly for just a few days, and considering taking my TT buying the Southern Africa maps. I recall I only have ~20MB free on the supplied SD card and I can't remember the size of it (1GB?) as I don't have the TT with me. The new map requires ~53MB. So...

- If I buy a new card, say 2GB, are there any compatibility gotchas with TT1's I should be aware of before I select one.

- Is migrating data from one card to another simply a case of copying ALL the files (inc any marked system/hidden/whatever)? Any issues with map activation etc? Is using the current TT Home V2 an advisable way of trying to do this?

- If I instead decide to delete (having first copied) the European map set from my TT (to make space), do I just remove the Euro map folder from the SD? Will there likely be any issues with restoring it later with a simple copy? Again I don't want issues with map activation etc.

The issue here is I'm likely to have to do all this just before I leave (I know not a great idea), so will not have time to mess about. So, any recommendations/advice?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Want to avoid panic, plese advise. TT1V2 EU map upgrade Reply with quote

wibbly wrote:
Travelling to Namibia very shortly for just a few days, and considering taking my TT buying the Southern Africa maps. I recall I only have ~20MB free on the supplied SD card and I can't remember the size of it (1GB?) as I don't have the TT with me. The new map requires ~53MB. So...

- If I buy a new card, say 2GB, are there any compatibility gotchas with TT1's I should be aware of before I select one.

Ensure it's not SDHC, buy a known brand and one that is high speed and you should be fine.
Quote:
- Is migrating data from one card to another simply a case of copying ALL the files (inc any marked system/hidden/whatever)?

Yes, so long as you copy ALL the files that is all there is to it.
Quote:
Any issues with map activation etc? Is using the current TT Home V2 an advisable way of trying to do this?

I would use Explorer
Quote:
- If I instead decide to delete (having first copied) the European map set from my TT (to make space), do I just remove the Euro map folder from the SD? Will there likely be any issues with restoring it later with a simple copy? Again I don't want issues with map activation etc.

The issue here is I'm likely to have to do all this just before I leave (I know not a great idea), so will not have time to mess about. So, any recommendations/advice?

I would definitely get a bigger card and a card reader is better than copying via the TomTom ONE. Also copy the existing card to a folder on your PC as a backup. If you got a bigger card now you could test the process by backing up your existing card to the PC and then copying it to your new card. if all works then you have the process right for when the SA maps arrive.
wibbly
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. New maps are instant/downloaded via TT Home, are they not? So the map will arrive before the SD. If I have to wait for the map to be posted to me, I'll give up now, as I'm leaving on Sunday!

What I had planned was to migrate everything to a new SD, and then use TT Home to get/install the new maps "instantly". Is this not acheivable?

Also

- Ensure it's not SDHC, buy a known brand and one that is
- high speed and you should be fine.

So that would be a 2GB card max I think. What speed of card can a TTOne exploit anyway? No point in going OTT!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never purchased a TT map online so have no experience of what format they are delivered in, sorry.

Can you not buy a memory card locally to save any issues?
46jimbo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In your place, I don't know if I would purchase another sd card, as you are only going to be using this South Africa map once.

I would just copy the present map folder into a safe spot on your hard drive, then delete it from the card to free up the space. Then do the download of the South Africa map from TomTom via Home.

In the future, don't use the Home program, but rather Windows Explorer to move the map folders back and forth. And your TomTom works fine as a card reader.
wibbly
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heding my bets - Ordered card from Play.com. Even an Extreme III is under £16 delivered. Comarpared with the price of the flight...

If it arrives in time, I'll use it.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

46jimbo wrote:
And your TomTom works fine as a card reader.
It just takes a lot longer. Wink

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a similar setup on my XL at present with Western Europe v6.60 on one card and UK&Ireland v6.75 on another.

As the West Euro map was downloaded for the Palm but not used (Support couldn't help), I made a new card up from the backup of the "UK" card but just swapping the map folder for the Europe one. It was downloaded before Home was in use so I just had a nice folder on my PC with everything there. This worked fine after activating. Smile
Brodit ProClip mount

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: