Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - HOME 2.1 PROBLEM..PLEASE HELP..........AGAIN
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

HOME 2.1 PROBLEM..PLEASE HELP..........AGAIN
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stuart
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: TTG 500 works Reply with quote

Just got all the Police Stations, Doctors and Pharmacies downloaded and running OK on my TTGo 500 Help me folder, using Home 2.1.1.106. Home also updated me to version 7.16.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

technik wrote:

I wanted to check to see if I have received any of your corrections.

Listed Below:-

Wandsworth High Street
Wandsworth A3
Wandsworth Northfields
Wandsworth A3209
Wandsworth Fawcett Close
Wandsworth A3220
Wandsworth Danebury Avenue

Does Wandsworth have enough Police stations do you think?

That sounds right (although now I've edited them its different so I'm doing it by memory):

The last three I haven't looked at at all....

'Wandsworth High St' and 'Wandsworth A3' were both in the same place (and wrong - should be opposite Broomhill Road just to the west) - I've moved one and deleted the other.

'Wandsworth Northfields' doesn't exist and for some reason I can't delete it either in map corrections or in manage POI (can you?).

'Wandsworth A3209' is actually Putney (and should be on the corner of Putney Bridge Rd and the High Street) - I've renamed and moved that one

and finally there was my original Mapshare submission which put one (I called it 'Wandsworth Police' I think) at the Broomhill Rd position - I've now deleted that one as it only seemed to be in "my corrections" anyway, it hadn't "come back to me" via Mapshare.

I hadn't actually connected to Home since I did the corrections this morning (yesterday now...), so you certainly won't have seen them so far, I'm just uploading them now.
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is another version of Home out 2.1.2.121 as downloaded this evening automatically via Home.

I am not seeing your Police station POI corrections yet Andy.

Is anyone else seeing them?

I just presume I am still not receiving any POI corrections as before. Rolling Eyes
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeterLB wrote:
Is there a similar fix for TomTom One 1st edition?

I recently upgraded to 7.1.3.1 which now has the 'Help Me!' option; however, there is no information at all in the First Aid and Other guides. Also, Police Stations, Doctors, Pharmacies, dentists and Vets are greyed out in all menues. Sad

I tried the fix in Darrens link, just in case, but when Home tries to install the items I get rather stupid error mesages like "Cannot install this item: Dentists in the United Kingdom: This file is included with the item but should not be there: gbr_dentists.inf"
The Help Me guides that are missing are due to the various files/ folders that are not on your device, I have not seen these available as yet from TomTom, these guides should be contined in a folder called ''helpme'' which should be in the root of the memory card, the helpme folder is around 2.5MB if I remember correctly.

As for the POI files that Home refuses to install, why not open the download file using winrar and extract the POI files before copying them to the Map Folder on your memory card. I try to use Home as little as possible due to the problems of multiple devices and the odd problems it throws up now and again when trying to do what should be a simple operation - Mike
PeterLB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
PeterLB wrote:
Is there a similar fix for TomTom One 1st edition?

I recently upgraded to 7.1.3.1 which now has the 'Help Me!' option; however, there is no information at all in the First Aid and Other guides. Also, Police Stations, Doctors, Pharmacies, dentists and Vets are greyed out in all menues. Sad

I tried the fix in Darrens link, just in case, but when Home tries to install the items I get rather stupid error mesages like "Cannot install this item: Dentists in the United Kingdom: This file is included with the item but should not be there: gbr_dentists.inf"
The Help Me guides that are missing are due to the various files/ folders that are not on your device, I have not seen these available as yet from TomTom, these guides should be contined in a folder called ''helpme'' which should be in the root of the memory card, the helpme folder is around 2.5MB if I remember correctly.

As for the POI files that Home refuses to install, why not open the download file using winrar and extract the POI files before copying them to the Map Folder on your memory card. I try to use Home as little as possible due to the problems of multiple devices and the odd problems it throws up now and again when trying to do what should be a simple operation - Mike

Thanks Mike. Smile

I had tried extracting the files into my map folder before I posted, (should have said that in my post Embarassed ), but they didn't show up under either the Help Me or POI icons Confused

Each cab folder contained an .ov2 file, (expected), and a .inf file, (not expected) but no .bmp file, (I was expecting one of those).

Each file, when extracted, started with either gbr_ or GB_

Had another 'play' this morning and found that if I renamed a .ov2 file from, say "gbr_dentists" to "Dentists" then Dentists showed up and worked in POIs but still did not show up in Help Me. So I renamed "gbr_dentists.inf" to "Dentists.inf" and Dentists still don't show up in Help Me, but worse, the ONE freezes when I select navigate to POI Evil or Very Mad

Interestingly, If I rename any of these files as anything other than their name without the gbr_ or GB_ (e.g. "Teethpullers.ov2"), then they again don't show in POIs. Is this due to some sort of cross referencing within the OS and File Header?

Tried creating a "helpme" folder on the ONE as there wasn't one there and putting the .inf files in there, but no joy with that either.

So, I now have the POIs available as POIs, but no icons as the bitmap files for them are not there Confused Though I'm not sure how useful they're going to be when I find schools, mortgage companies and other non-related companies listed in the Police, Doctors, Pharmacy and Dentists POIs. Oh, and the local Police Station isn't even shown!!!!!

Any idea what the .inf file is for and where it should go? Also, do you know where the .bmp files are please?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They shouldn't need bmp files because they should "attach" themselves to the existing "Doctor" "Dentist" "Pharmacy" and "Police Station" built in categories (part of poi.dat), like the Mapshare downloads do.

So far as I can tell, that is the function of the .inf file - to do the linking.
For example if you look at the 'gbr_doctors.inf' file in Notepad, it seems to just have a few line feeds and then the text "*9373".
Now the Mapshare file you get to update the Doctors POI is called 'CA9373.ov2', so there's a definite connection.
So, you shouldn't need to rename anything, if the ov2 and the inf files have the same name, and are installed in the right map folder, they should link and merge with the existing POI.dat information.

But, re-reading your post, I think you have a different problem...
For me (on a 720), the Help Me menu DID have the doctor,dentist etc categories, just no entries for them in the UK.
If you didn't have the categories showing in Help Me at all, that seems to suggest something more basic is the problem.
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, his problem is that he doesn't have the Help Me folders and files that we have on the X20 out of the box.

The updates from TomTom are not it would seem to be adding these, or can't use them if it could it would as you said merge the doctors poi using the inf file into the main TomTom POI file.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
PeterLB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses Andy and Graham.

Under the Help Me/Drive To etc icons I can see the icons for Doctors, Dentists, Pharmacies and Police Stations, but they are greyed out so can't be selected. The other icons, Hospitals, Car Repair Service, Petrol Stations and Public Transport show correctly and work fine; though I can't find any .ov2 or .inf files relating to them anywhere on the SD Card. Confused

If I extract the files straight into the map folder then the icons are still greyed out. They do not appear in POIs either, but I'm guessing they shouldn't as for example Public Transport, (which does work under Help Me), doesn't show up in POIs either.

If I rename both .ov2 and .inf files as described earlier then the ONE locks up if I select POIs from the Navigate To icon.

But if I delete the .inf files then I can access the data via POIs, so I know the ov2 files are working correctly.

Can this problem possibly have anything to do with the version of GB map I'm using? - it's the original one which came preloaded on the ONE.
PeterLB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curiouser and curiouser..............................

This morning I bought the Western Europe maps on DVD. (yes, I now know that there's a later version - typical of my luck!!!)

Installed the Benelux map and lo and behold, when activated Help Me works fine. All Help Me icons are active in that map and show me lots of doctors, pharmacists etc in Belgium...

I had also bought the SE US map in light of a pending holiday there. (yes, I know thats been updated today and at half the price I paid too Evil or Very Mad ) And again, when in the US map Help Me works just fine.

So I installed the GB map from the Western Europe CD, (version 650.1128 which is newer than the one that came with my ONE), and guess what?.................... Still the same, all the icons except Hospitals, Car Repair Service, Petrol Stations and Public Transport are greyed out. Evil or Very Mad

This is getting silly, and STILL no reply from TomTom. Exclamation
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect this might be down to the POI.dat file which is out of date relative to the introduction of map share, you need a new map to get the new file, I would try a call to TT support, explain you have just purchased a DVD containing maps and found it to be very much out of date, assuming it was purchased at full price they might be sympathetic and offer a newer map as recompense - but I wouldn't guarantee this, my motto is "if you don't ask - you don't get" - its got to be worth a try - Mike
PeterLB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
I suspect this might be down to the POI.dat file which is out of date relative to the introduction of map share, you need a new map to get the new file, I would try a call to TT support, explain you have just purchased a DVD containing maps and found it to be very much out of date, assuming it was purchased at full price they might be sympathetic and offer a newer map as recompense - but I wouldn't guarantee this, my motto is "if you don't ask - you don't get" - its got to be worth a try - Mike

Thanks Mike

Is it best to phone them, (if so do you know the number), or raise it as a question in My TomTom?
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.tomtom.com/support/index.php?Language=1&query=contact+by+telephone&FID=368

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
DaveTT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

Can anybody upload these help files files somewhere or email them to me, I have the same problem with the First Aid info.

Re Dave
PeterLB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
http://www.tomtom.com/support/index.php?Language=1&query=contact+by+telephone&FID=368

Thank you Richard. Smile
davemag
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this helps. I downloaded the doctors, dentists etc for Help me from TomTom.

Of course I still had to go 209miles to Ireland to visit one.

On investigation I found it had put these files in my old GBmap folder. I copied it from there into both the Helpme folder and the GB & Ireland map folder that I am using as default.

I now seem to have a dentist less than 1/2 a mile away.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: