Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Anyone used the BP Garage in Park Gate.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone used the BP Garage in Park Gate.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheBrit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Anyone used the BP Garage in Park Gate. Reply with quote

I know of at least one forum member who lives there...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/7058286.stm

Scary stuff. Shocked

HTC Desire HD - Sygic
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, a Ferrari comes to mind. Cool

They are all so wealthy around there, they wouldn’t notice. Wink
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BP Never used it. Laughing
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think about it this type of scam can be pulled in most retail outlets that have CCTV in operation. As a retired security supervisor we would make use of cameras fitted above the checkouts of a well known supermarket chain to watch a member of staff suspected of pocketing money from the till. We could even read the serial numbers on the notes they handled.
Nokia 925 Windows 8
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somebody kindly spent over £700 on my credit card earlier this year.

The only place I can think it could have been cloned was a petrol station I don't normally use.

...I got every penny back but transactions varied from £2.34 to £320, so it pays to check EVERY transaction on your credit card statement.
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a bit anal about bank transactions already. I check every single credit card and debit card transaction. I'm obviously not immune from some low life stealing my details, but I am confident I would notice within 24-48 hours.

When entering my pin in any cash machine or shop pin reader, I shield my input hand with the other hand, or using my open wallet for cover. Perhaps my profession makes me that bit more security conscious.

Regularly absent, but still here in spirit !
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops. Sorry about the censored word in my previous post. It was a reference to me being very thorough and meticulous, rather than a reference to my rear end, honest Wink

GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

999tommo wrote:
When entering my pin in any cash machine or shop pin reader, I shield my input hand with the other hand, or using my open wallet for cover. Perhaps my profession makes me that bit more security conscious.

I always try to do the same and it really bugs me when using an ATM and the person behind doesn't keep what I call a comfortable distance, so I make myself as large as possible and be as sure as I can be that they can't see anything.

I also use basic accounting software to track every transaction, so I'm pretty sure that I'll catch anything.

Earlier this year when my credit card was used fraudulently, I was contacted by the card company to query some transactions....but what amazed me was that even after I'd cancelled the card, the card company had continued to authorise some transactions with the companies I'd also told them I hadn't made any transactions with myself.

So in some ways the card companies seem to be on the ball, but they can also clearly act in totally illogical ways

I did, eventually, get every penny credited back into my account.

A useful tip might be to recommend people to have more than one credit card so that a second card may be used whilst a cancelled card is being replaced and life may continue with some kind of normality.

999tommo may think he's paranoid, but it seems that you have to take these steps in order to protect your identity.

In my house, nothing with name or address goes into the bin before it's been shredded - no matter what it is, even a boring address label is subjected to the shredder
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
In my house, nothing with name or address goes into the bin before it's been shredded - no matter what it is, even a boring address label is subjected to the shredder

Ditto.

DaveNN
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

999tommo wrote:
GPS_fan wrote:

Ditto.

Until a few months back( but for at least 7 years) my employer (who have a huge factory at Newhouse...you'll know it!!) insisted in sending out salary slips (the type with a perforation strip at the side) through the post.
This in itself is madness... BUT if you consider that these slips had the following information on the inside it was sheer bl**dy stupidity:-
Name/Address (obviously on the outside)
Bank Account No & Sort Code
Payroll No
Co Name & Address
N.I No........!!!!!

It took 7 years of monthly lobbying to convince them that this wasn't a sensible approach!
They've taken out the N.I No Evil or Very Mad

On the subject of ATMs. By simply painting a box on the pavement in front of ATM acts as a barrier & lessens the incidence of bods peering over your shoulder whilst entering you PIN.
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the same from a private pension, the only details contained inside are the amount, payment date, period No. and tax code.
All bank detail boxes are blank.
Nokia 925 Windows 8
DaveNN
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xda wrote:
I get the same from a private pension, the only details contained inside are the amount, payment date, period No. and tax code.
All bank detail boxes are blank.

This is a darn sight more secure..but not perfect.
Just to clarify my post above...I'm not suggesting that you paint your own barrier on the pavement Very Happy
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveNN wrote:
Just to clarify my post above...I'm not suggesting that you paint your own barrier on the pavement Very Happy

oooops - I've just been out with a big pot of paint and large brush marking up as many as I could find and I was looking for something more pocket-sized that I could carry around with me Laughing Laughing

I think that I've only ever seen one ATM with a marking on the pavement and that did seem to work effectively.

If I'm with someone else who uses an ATM, I usually stand behind them to give them a bit of a buffer from anyone who might invade their 'personal space'. At 6'4", I think I provide a pretty good barrier.

When I'm in the queue at an ATM, I always leave a small gap behind the person using the machine
DaveNN
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
DaveNN wrote:

oooops - I've just been out with a big pot of paint and large brush marking up as many as I could find and I was looking for something more pocket-sized that I could carry around with me Laughing Laughing

I think that I've only ever seen one ATM with a marking on the pavement and that did seem to work effectively.

If I'm with someone else who uses an ATM, I usually stand behind them to give them a bit of a buffer from anyone who might invade their 'personal space'. At 6'4", I think I provide a pretty good barrier.

When I'm in the queue at an ATM, I always leave a small gap behind the person using the machine

Ahh, I hope that you used waterbased paint..otherwise you could end up being done for 'tagging' the pavement!
Call me a pedant but am I the only one who gets p'd off when people refer to "PIN Numbers"?........yeh probably!! Laughing
TheBrit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveNN wrote:
GPS_fan wrote:
DaveNN wrote:

Ahh, I hope that you used waterbased paint..otherwise you could end up being done for 'tagging' the pavement!
Call me a pedant but am I the only one who gets p'd off when people refer to "PIN Numbers"?........yeh probably!! Laughing

I can't help saying PIN Number as just saying PIN makes me think of something small and sharp....

HTC Desire HD - Sygic

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: