Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
Read the current newsletter! Weekly
Newsletter
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - new Sat-Nav - Best TMC reception yet
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

new Sat-Nav - Best TMC reception yet

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Shinymera
Regular Visitor


Joined: Oct 30, 2006
Posts: 82

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: new Sat-Nav - Best TMC reception yet Reply with quote

Well I'm on my forth make of Sat-Nav and have found the best TMC Reception so far in and around central Scotland (furthest north being Perthshire).

My first Sat-Nav was a TT One v2 so doesn't count.

My second Sat-Nav was a Via-Mitchelin 970T. As has been describe in another thread. This unit used ITIS as a provider and came with a small plastic (lolly pop stick) type antenna. This gave fairly good reception, was a neater than the more common wire antenna. The problem was the info was poor and the unit itself was not the greatest Sat-Nav although they have just released new V7 software and so it might be better now.

My Third make was Garmin. I had a nuvi 610T this came with the GTM21 receiver. Now my GTM was for france and so this may be unfair, but this wire antenna was the worst by far. I could get a signal at my house, but after going north for a mile the signal dropped and never came back. Others with the GTM21 intended for the UK report similar.
The Garmin in all other respects was a fantastic Sat-Nav.

Now my forth Sat-Nav is a Magellan Maestro 4050 + Traffic. This is the best so far at reception. It uses TrafficMaster just like the Garmin and the info I get is very good. From my house to my work it only drops the signal occasionally and always where expected for instance drive through a wooded area or in a deep valley.
When it does drop, it is quick to pick it up again. The antenna is also the neatest solution as it is built into the cradle, with nothing else to attach. It has the appearance of a older Motorola mobile phone or modern walkie talkie antenna. When yo add this to the fact the the Sat-Nav is very good also Magellan have put together a very nice package.

With regards to the Sat-Nav choice of routes I'd order them one to four, with one being the best;

1. Garmin nuvi
2. Magellan Maestro
3. TomTom One v2
4. ViaMichelin

With regards to routing, not much to separate Garmin and Magellan. Like wise TomTom and ViaMichelin were on a par. However the difference between the top two and botton two was quite significant.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GJF
Frequent Visitor


Joined: Feb 08, 2007
Posts: 894

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting.....

We could do with some more details such as this from multiple Sat Nav users.

With my Garmin Nuvi TMC aerial i have considered so many different options to improve it, i'm now totally confused.

I have even booked my car into a Sat Nav specialist, to have my aerial adapted so as to be powered, but then reading a post here from someone who had tried it and it didn't work, subsequently cancelled my appointment.

I can't use a splitter as my radio aerial is in the rear screen.

The latest "thought" is to purchase the ViaMitchelin aerial and see as to how it would react connected to the Nuvi, although i still need guidance as to whether this has any chance of making a difference.

One thing is for sure string aerials are total rubbish, it needs to be a dedicated (possibly powered) aerial.

If the Magellan Maestro 4050 + Traffic uses TrafficMaster as does Garmin than surely everything lies with the aerial.

The question is - Which one works best and why, also is it possible to use different make aerials and Sat Nav together?
_________________
TomTom Go 60
Garmin Nüvi 660, Firmware v4.90
Drive-Smart GPS with Loader v1.4.16
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier


Joined: Nov 04, 2003
Posts: 2225
Location: Bedfordshire, UK

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GJF wrote:
I can't use a splitter as my radio aerial is in the rear screen.
Out of interest - why not? The splitter is placed behind the car stereo, connecting to the aerial plug already there, so nothing between that and the actual car aerial should be touched...

That said, it's possible a rear screen aerial is not the best type of aerial to use, and hence it may not help that much, but it shouldn't technically prevent you trying.
_________________
Please don't be offended if I do not reply to a PM - please ask questions via the forums.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
portman
Frequent Visitor


Joined: Nov 10, 2005
Posts: 435
Location: Dorset

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My recommendation is still the GTM 10, here for £69. Unfortunately not compatible with the NUVI 660!!

http://www.cel-direct.com/p/Kenwood-KENWOOD-GTM10/Kenwood-KENWOOD-GTM10.asp

The signal you get all depends on what car you have, I'm convinced of it.
_________________
Samsung Mega
Tomtom 500
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GJF
Frequent Visitor


Joined: Feb 08, 2007
Posts: 894

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing wrote:
GJF wrote:
I can't use a splitter as my radio aerial is in the rear screen.
Out of interest - why not? The splitter is placed behind the car stereo, connecting to the aerial plug already there, so nothing between that and the actual car aerial should be touched...

That said, it's possible a rear screen aerial is not the best type of aerial to use, and hence it may not help that much, but it shouldn't technically prevent you trying.


The reason i gave this option up was that as the rear screen aerial seems to have a weaker signal, i presumed (wrongly or rightly) that this wouldn't help, also reading other posts where rear screen aerials were involved, i read negative comments so abandoned the idea.

I am trying to go down the route of the most positive comments as getting behind a Jap' dashboard isn't easy, i cannot afford the time experimenting with totally unknown work, if others are negative about the results.
_________________
TomTom Go 60
Garmin Nüvi 660, Firmware v4.90
Drive-Smart GPS with Loader v1.4.16
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
philpugh
Lifetime Member


Joined: Dec 28, 2005
Posts: 2003
Location: Antrobus, Cheshire

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GJF wrote:
The latest "thought" is to purchase the ViaMitchelin aerial and see as to how it would react connected to the Nuvi, although i still need guidance as to whether this has any chance of making a difference.

One thing is for sure string aerials are total rubbish, it needs to be a dedicated (possibly powered) aerial.

If the Magellan Maestro 4050 + Traffic uses TrafficMaster as does Garmin than surely everything lies with the aerial.

The question is - Which one works best and why, also is it possible to use different make aerials and Sat Nav together?


I don't believe you can swap aerials between manufacturers - e.g. the nuvi 660's GTM21 has active components included in the lead - this will need dedicated connections and s/w to drive it. Even some of the GARMIN TMC units don't work with all of the GARMIN sat navs.

As you say there is no substitute for a good external aerial (with amplification if possible). I'm lucky - my VW already has an amplified aerial and installing a very simple Y splitter to the back of the radio and connecting the bit of string from the GTM21 works very well. If you can possibly fit an external aerial (even something temp like a mag mount) it should be better.
_________________
Phil
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
en1gma
Occasional Visitor


Joined: Nov 10, 2004
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I briefly tried a Magellan 4050 and agree the TMC was good - I had a lock all theway from Peterborough to London on the A1, with only the occasional loss of signal. Also totally agree about it being the neatest solution as there are no wires to play around with (esp. if you regualrly use more than one car, like I do).

I sent it back because i did not get on with the rest of it (purely personal taste, it just didn't do it for me). Sad

I've now got a Navman s90i - great piece of kit, but back to the TMC wire Rolling Eyes Only just go it, so no views on if the TMC on it is any good, as yet...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Berisford
Regular Visitor


Joined: Mar 13, 2004
Posts: 97

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philpugh wrote:


I'm lucky - my VW already has an amplified aerial and installing a very simple Y splitter to the back of the radio and connecting the bit of string from the GTM21 works very well.


I to have a VW with the amplified aeriel (built into the screen) and I was wondering about doing the same.

Does it have any detrimental effect on your normal radio reception?

Thanks.

BJ Nottingham.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Shinymera
Regular Visitor


Joined: Oct 30, 2006
Posts: 82

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I sent it back because i did not get on with the rest of it (purely personal taste, it just didn't do it for me).


Strange you should say that Smile

I've sent mine back. My one was faulty (it wouldn't do text to speech). I would of asked for a replacement but for the feeling I hadn't got what I'd ordered.

The site I bought it from (as most) used the spec from the US version. Unlike the US version the UK version doesn't have 'voice control', come with a carry case or AC adapter. Magellan web site also was not geared up for the Europe model which meant to register the unit or activate the 'Traffic' the user would have to phone the tech support.

The Magellan did things I didn't like, but likewise did things I really did like.

I now have the Sony Nav-U 92TW.
This has no bells and whistles just navigation. For some it would be too limited, but I like it. The mount is the best I've used. It sticks to my textured dash like a limpet, and that's without one of those horrible plastic disc welded to the dash.

The TMC of the sony proves that the 'string' antenna is not flawed. I say this as I get great TMC reception.

EDIT:
Just for the record the sony uses Navteq maps and appears to use a Navigon routing engine.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
en1gma
Occasional Visitor


Joined: Nov 10, 2004
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shinymera wrote:


I've sent mine back. My one was faulty (it wouldn't do text to speech).
The TMC of the sony proves that the 'string' antenna is not flawed. I say this as I get great TMC reception.

EDIT:
Just for the record the sony uses Navteq maps and appears to use a Navigon routing engine.


The text-to-speech on 'my' Magellan didn't work, either...

Went from Bedford to London last night, and back up to Loughborough today, and the TMC on the S90i worked all the way! (took a few minutes for the alerts to come through, but when they did... ). Result! Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier


Joined: Nov 04, 2003
Posts: 2225
Location: Bedfordshire, UK

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Berisford wrote:
Does it have any detrimental effect on your normal radio reception?
I haven't noticed any problems with my y-splitter on my VAG car (ie not VW, but part of the same group using the same parts bin).
_________________
Please don't be offended if I do not reply to a PM - please ask questions via the forums.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
philpugh
Lifetime Member


Joined: Dec 28, 2005
Posts: 2003
Location: Antrobus, Cheshire

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Berisford wrote:
philpugh wrote:


I'm lucky - my VW already has an amplified aerial and installing a very simple Y splitter to the back of the radio and connecting the bit of string from the GTM21 works very well.


I to have a VW with the amplified aeriel (built into the screen) and I was wondering about doing the same.

Does it have any detrimental effect on your normal radio reception?

Thanks.

BJ Nottingham.


In general no. But if I don't have the GARMIN GTM21/power lead plugged into the 12V outlet then there is noticable interference on weaker FM signals. I suspect that the power lead completes the earth circuit for the aerial and disconnecting it upsets the system somewhat.
_________________
Phil
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
merlot158
Occasional Visitor


Joined: Nov 05, 2007
Posts: 6

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philpugh wrote:
GJF wrote:
The latest "thought" is to purchase the ViaMitchelin aerial and see as to how it would react connected to the Nuvi, although i still need guidance as to whether this has any chance of making a difference.

One thing is for sure string aerials are total rubbish, it needs to be a dedicated (possibly powered) aerial.

If the Magellan Maestro 4050 + Traffic uses TrafficMaster as does Garmin than surely everything lies with the aerial.

The question is - Which one works best and why, also is it possible to use different make aerials and Sat Nav together?


I don't believe you can swap aerials between manufacturers - e.g. the nuvi 660's GTM21 has active components included in the lead - this will need dedicated connections and s/w to drive it. Even some of the GARMIN TMC units don't work with all of the GARMIN sat navs.

As you say there is no substitute for a good external aerial (with amplification if possible). I'm lucky - my VW already has an amplified aerial and installing a very simple Y splitter to the back of the radio and connecting the bit of string from the GTM21 works very well. If you can possibly fit an external aerial (even something temp like a mag mount) it should be better.


Hi Phil,

I also have a VW (and nuvi 660), where did you get the Y aerial splitter from?

thanks, merlot
_________________
merlot

Nuvi660fm
GTM21
external gps & FM aerials
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message







Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Powered by phpBB 2.0.11 © 2001 phpBB Group
phpBB port v2.1 based on Tom Nitzschner's phpbb2.0.6 upgraded to phpBB 2.0.4 standalone was developed and tested by:
ArtificialIntel, ChatServ, mikem,
sixonetonoffun and Paul Laudanski (aka Zhen-Xjell).

Version 2.1 by Nuke Cops © 2003 http://www.nukecops.com

Make a Donation



CamerAlert Database

Click here for the PocketGPSWorld.com Speed Camera Database

Download Speed Camera Database
20.013 (19 Jan 22)



WORLDWIDE SPEED CAMERA SPOTTERS WANTED!

Click here to submit camera positions to the PocketGPSWorld.com Speed Camera Database


12mth Subscriber memberships awarded every week for verified new camera reports!

Submit Speed Camera Locations Now


CamerAlert Apps



iOS QR Code






Android QR Code







© Terms & Privacy


GPS Shopping