Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - The ViaMichelin 980T and MS Vista
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

The ViaMichelin 980T and MS Vista

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Burnham
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: The ViaMichelin 980T and MS Vista Reply with quote

I bought an 980T at the start of August on the understanding that it had the latest mapping and could be used with Windows Vista - as I think some may know the 980T is NOT compatible with Vista(I have had no success with the French driver) and the mapping was not the latest. My questions are these (1) anyone know when will there be a UK Vista driver for the 980T (2) is it really worth my while to obtain the v6.5 map upgrade offer when the device will not synchronise with my Vista computer, and (3) with the device registered on the 3rd of August is there any latitude for obtaining the v7 upgrade?

A further point for those with open top cars - I have found that in sunny conditions the 980T is effectively unreadable.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed that Vista was listed on the latest map updates but have not been able to get it to sync. Vista seems to see the GPS unit but the GPS unit itself doesn't seem to recognise the connection. It stays on the map or menu screen instead of going to the connected screen.
As I dual boot with XP at the moment I didn't bother as the software is already loaded in the XP boot.

I would however be interested what the problem is and if the v7 software will definately work with Vista and the different sync software Microsoft have used (instead of activesync)
Deepfour
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, anything from V6.5 onwards is OK with Vista. You just after load the DVD first and then connect the hardware when asked....if you have already attached the device and then loaded the DVD it will automatically load the XP drivers by default...Take off the drivers or any VM files and follow the proceedure above. The new start up guide will have the new proceedure......

www.leyio.com

Keep your eyes open in 2009 for a new way to share and swap files......Leyio!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deepfour wrote:
Hi, anything from V6.5 onwards is OK with Vista. You just after load the DVD first and then connect the hardware when asked....if you have already attached the device and then loaded the DVD it will automatically load the XP drivers by default...Take off the drivers or any VM files and follow the proceedure above. The new start up guide will have the new proceedure......

Cheers. I'll give that another go. Do I have to install the first DVD that came with the unit or can I just load the latest Map update DVD? Not sure if the update DVD expects to see the software already installed.
Deepfour
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st CD first and then the second.....should work. Any issues let me know and I know the direct line of a very very helpful French man.

Yes there are a few, no they don't all carry white flags and I think they have calmed down after the defeat on Saturday.....but god am I looking forward rubbing it in with them later this week.. Laughing

www.leyio.com

Keep your eyes open in 2009 for a new way to share and swap files......Leyio!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update CD as expected says it needs to have the other CD installed. Tried to install but as Vista cannot yet see the GPS unit it all went wrong.

The install refuses to go any further on the PC because it can't see the GPS. My other concern is that won't it attempt to downgrade my 6.5 software to 6 on the unit itself?

Think I may just wait for the v7 CD which I hope doesn't expect to see the previous software installed Crying or Very sad
broc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: The ViaMichelin 980T and MS Vista Reply with quote

Burnham wrote:
A further point for those with open top cars - I have found that in sunny conditions the 980T is effectively unreadable.

I have not tried my X-980T in my Z4, but I know that IPAQs are almost unreadable with the roof down, ditto ASUS R2H UMPC. I wonder if any TFT screen devices really work in open top cars?
trafficsign
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not have a problem with the Nuvi 250 screen when used in my Merc SLK with the roof down. Perhaps this is because I mount the suction cup on the plastic face of the radio display in the centre of the vehicle, below windscreen height.
EddyDC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main topic of this discussion is imo Vista, so let's stick to that.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonandmarkuk wrote:
Update CD as expected says it needs to have the other CD installed. Tried to install but as Vista cannot yet see the GPS unit it all went wrong.

The install refuses to go any further on the PC because it can't see the GPS. My other concern is that won't it attempt to downgrade my 6.5 software to 6 on the unit itself?

Think I may just wait for the v7 CD which I hope doesn't expect to see the previous software installed Crying or Very sad

Just got the v7 update DVD and unfortunately is does expect the previous software to be installed Crying or Very sad Oh well suppose I need to figure out how to get the software installed and working then, or at least trick the installer into thinking the old software is installed or something. Laughing Out Loud Wink

Just given up trying for the moment, it doesn't seem to be a problem with the software as such more the fact that Vista won't recognise the device correctly. It will install the correct drivers and appear in device manager but when I connect the x980t to the PC nothing happens yet when I connect it in XP on the same PC (dual boot) the GPS and PC recognise the connection and 'talk' to each other.
I think I'll have to just stick with installing in XP for now
Burnham
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this will help but I had the same problems in getting my Vista computer to recognise the device but as a last chance (for I had obtained the free Map upgrade) I went through the computer and deleted everything I could discover on ViaMichelin (program files, Windows files and everything in between!) - I then started from scratch and to my amazement it all worked ... To be honest the prompt came from Stu(Deepfour) Smile so he obviously knows what he is talking about - thanks. I am now awaiting the promised version 7 upgrade with crossed fingers.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burnham wrote:
I don't know if this will help but I had the same problems in getting my Vista computer to recognise the device but as a last chance (for I had obtained the free Map upgrade) I went through the computer and deleted everything I could discover on ViaMichelin (program files, Windows files and everything in between!) - I then started from scratch and to my amazement it all worked ... To be honest the prompt came from Stu(Deepfour) Smile so he obviously knows what he is talking about - thanks. I am now awaiting the promised version 7 upgrade with crossed fingers.

Oh I thought I'd tried that may give it another go sometime. So did you have the same problem where the PC would 'ding' to indicate the GPS being connected and Vista shows ViaMichelin connected near the clock but nothing happend on the GPS screen?
Burnham
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vista never got beyond just asking me to connect the device and the 980T just ignored the computer and kept showing the normal GPS screen; they certainly were never talking to each other! I think the important point for the new installation is the complete removal of all the ViaMichelin related files.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: