Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom6 on an HP iPAQ 4700
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom6 on an HP iPAQ 4700

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
h5djr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: TomTom6 on an HP iPAQ 4700 Reply with quote

I have a HP iPAQ 4700 that has had an internal memory upgrade from the standard 64Mb to 128Mb. I have 2 GPS receivers - a Globalsat BC-337 CF-Card unit and a Globalsat BT-338 Bluetooth unit. I am considering replacing my current Destinator software and would like to know if anyone is using TomTom6 on this particular iPaq and if so, does it work OK.

Thanks

Dave R

TomTom XL + Audi A3 (with navigation)
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did. I found it slow, but useable. I also had a problem with everytime I turned the Ipaq on, it started TT6. I was told a work around a while back, but cannot remember it (something to do a directory (1744) being deleted?)
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SimonCatlin wrote:
I did. I found it slow, but useable. I also had a problem with everytime I turned the Ipaq on, it started TT6. I was told a work around a while back, but cannot remember it (something to do a directory (1744) being deleted?)
The directory is 2577 Wink but you are better re-naming the folder as you might need it to re-install the application when/ if the iPAQ battery decides to fall out!

As for it running slow, the usual problem with TomTom on a PDA is through having too many POI files enabled, the POI should be set up using the Change Preferences/ Manage POI/ Warn When Near POI, you should also disable the Custom POI files in Change Preferences/ Enable_Disable POI.

I had to do this for a waork mate a while back who upgraded to TT6 and found the performance wasn't too hot, the screen was refreshing/ updating less than once per second, with the POI files set-up correctly the 4700 was, and still is fine in use - Mike
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had it working OK with The 4700 and WM2003, WM5 and (yes!) WM6. Now gone back to my (legal) copy of TT5.

With WM5 (and 6), you don't have to worry about re-installing if the battery fades out.

Alan
trafcam
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alan_sh wrote:
With WM5 (and 6), you don't have to worry about re-installing if the battery fades out.

Alan

Surely that only applies to a new device with persistent storage hardware? Or are you saying that the 4700 has this, but it is only enabled in WM5 on? I haven't tried upgrading my 4700 test unit (though I do have it running TT6 v6.030 without any problems) as a colleague here has done so and found an issue with regard to reported battery life that he doesn't seem to be able to get around.
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trafcam wrote:
alan_sh wrote:

Alan

Surely that only applies to a new device with persistent storage hardware? Or are you saying that the 4700 has this, but it is only enabled in WM5 on? I haven't tried upgrading my 4700 test unit (though I do have it running TT6 v6.030 without any problems) as a colleague here has done so and found an issue with regard to reported battery life that he doesn't seem to be able to get around.

That is correct - the 4700 does have persistant storage and WM5/6 makes use of it.

Alan

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: