Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Camera Submission Query
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Camera Submission Query
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomo1340
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomo1340 wrote:
The co ordinates I put in originally were in the region of N54.32342 W2.74241 if some one wants to see how that comes up for them.

They should bring you up at just past No 30 Aynam road. There is a grassed area which appears to belong to a small nondescript church at the end of the terrace. The camera has only ever been tripod mounted.

Also there has been another camera pop up on Aynam road. I haven't got the co ordinates for this one yet, and instead of the police doing it it was a safety camera partnership van, so I am wondering if they have chosen this new location instead of the one quoted before.

On a side note, where the van was parked was definitely illigally parked and I wonder if that might bring into question any convictions brought from the camera?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomo
To me the location that you gave comes up on the eastern pavement about half way down what looks like a row of terraced houses on Aynam Rd just before a right hand bend (travelling south, one way?)
I do however have a problem with your description of the grass belonging to the church at the southern? end of the terrace, as if the grass is outside the church as one might expect, and the church IS the building at the southern end of the terrace, your lat/long location does not fully agree with your description, with the lat/long being some 100 odd ft furhther north of the church.
Are you using the map at http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Cameras&referer=SideBar
Having said all that, I personally would be just interested in tha fact that there might be a mobile down that road somewhere by those houses.

Edit once Mike Alder - to remove detail which can be found elsewhere
tomo1340
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Tomo
To me the location that you gave comes up on the eastern pavement about half way down what looks like a row of terraced houses on Aynam Rd just before a right hand bend (travelling south, one way?)
I do however have a problem with your description of the grass belonging to the church at the southern? end of the terrace, as if the grass is outside the church as one might expect, and the church IS the building at the southern end of the terrace, your lat/long location does not fully agree with your description, with the lat/long being some 100 odd ft furhther north of the church.
Are you using the map at http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Cameras&referer=SideBar

I originally used that page to get the co-ordinates. Well actually I typed the co ordinates into the site and saw it was exactly where I would have clicked if had to pick it on the map. The church is hard to see on a satalite image, it is infact right next door to the last house of the terrace. Some one checked the co ordinates on a device different to mine further up the page (or a page back) and came up with 30 Aynam Rd. However when I put it into google maps it odly comes up further up the road. However I don't have the original co ordinates I put in as when I subscribed a few weeks later the download wiped my input off the tomtom, so I just made a 'best guess' at the co ordinates above so they may well be out. I thought they were near as someone above posted that they got 30 Aynam road with them. I will fire tomtom up and see if I can get a more accurate grid on it.

EDIT: ok the grid that I get from tomtom is N54.32315 W2.74219
missing_user

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Garmin CityNavigator Europe V9 that shows me 35 feet into 33 Aynam Road
tomo1340
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

strumble wrote:

It's taken from the road edge of what tomtom says is 33 Aynam raod, so it must be near. Without going out to the site and using tomtom I can't be 100% accurate, I must stress that the co ordinates I have provided above are from looking at the tomtom map, tapping at where the camera is from memory and getting the co-ordinates.
missing_user

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomo1340 wrote:
strumble wrote:

It's taken from the road edge of what tomtom says is 33 Aynam raod, so it must be near. Without going out to the site and using tomtom I can't be 100% accurate, I must stress that the co ordinates I have provided above are from looking at the tomtom map, tapping at where the camera is from memory and getting the co-ordinates.

I was not critizing you or your location details.
Garmin/Google/AutoRoute/TomTom are never identical so 35 feet is 'near enough'! Very Happy
tomo1340
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

strumble wrote:
tomo1340 wrote:
strumble wrote:

I was not critizing you or your location details.
Garmin/Google/AutoRoute/TomTom are never identical so 35 feet is 'near enough'! Very Happy

Sorry if it came across a bit rude, I didn't think you were being critical, and I am not against criticism Laughing I just wanted to point out that I can't be 100% spot on without standing on the site and getting the co ordinates.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Falkirk81
Not wishing to add to the confusion but I thought the same.
But where did the location 54.32679, Long -2.74758 come from in the first place. I can find no ref to it other than in DennisN's post?

In my post on 9th October, (Page ONE of this thread), I quoted the exact entry I have in my Verifier's file for pMobile:35054
Quote:
pMobile:35054 carried exactly the description quoted, including Aynam Road. Here's the complete entry
Quote:

35054,pMOBILE,30,,2007-06-09 22:36:54,"The camera when in use is located in the side garden of no 29 Aynam road in kendal. There is usually an unmarked police car near it and sometimes a marked car in a layby about 300 yards before it. The road is a one way street but the camera is always positioned on the left hand side.

The coordinates placed it at the junction of Lowther Streeet and the A6, so presumably that's where the Verifier went looking. Clearly, either tomo1340 or MaFt input the wrong coordinates - no blame, it happens - again demonstrates why we check.
Blue colour added now for emphasis. My quote omitted the coordinates which were
-2.74758, 54.32679 (in the file, they are entered back to front).

This thread has now lasted a week, four pages. It should not have even reached the bottom of page 1. We have put in an unbelievable amount of time and effort into discussing what was either a wrong submission by tomo1340 or an error on the part of MaFt. It doesn't matter which was the error, like I said, they happen. Any further contributions cannot add anything. Unless I hear privately from MaFt or Darren to the contrary, I shall be locking this thread when I get back home tomorrow (Tuesday) evening.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
tomo1340
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's encouraging that people wish to discuss one pidley camera that might or might not be there. But still this particular thread has veered into a slangin match at times, usually involving me doing some slanging, but I have reason to believe that the camera could be either verified or dimissed by Saturday so can you unlock it for a short time on Saturday to post the outcome, that is if anyone is interested.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomo1340 wrote:
that the camera could be either verified or dimissed by Saturday so can you unlock it for a short time on Saturday to post the outcome, that is if anyone is interested.
The outcome complete with photographs will be in place Saturday - I bet it rains all day though, it always does when I venture off to the Lakes for a day out Laughing - Mike
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomo
Your latest co-ords
Quote:
ok the grid that I get from tomtom is N54.32315 W2.74219
is slap in the centre of the grass in front of the detached building (the church?), just to the south of the terrace of houses that include 29/30 etc. Smile
This seems to match exactly your description.
I hope that whoever verifies does not checkout the co-ords in your original (aparantly incorrect) submission. Crying or Very sad
Trevor
tomo1340
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Tomo
Your latest co-ords
Quote:
ok the grid that I get from tomtom is N54.32315 W2.74219
is slap in the centre of the grass in front of the detached building (the church?), just to the south of the terrace of houses that include 29/30 etc. Smile
This seems to match exactly your description.
I hope that whoever verifies does not checkout the co-ords in your original (aparantly incorrect) submission. Crying or Very sad
Trevor

I have agreed to meet the verifyer, I can't see how my original grid went wrong as I put it in from my tomtom and when I saw the location on the map I knew it was correct and inputted it. Of course the original description was pants, but to be fair I didn't know what was involved in submitting a camera, so I tapped on the nearest house to it and it gave me number 29, which happens to be wrong. Ah well, at least it will be all sorted. Laughing
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a "funny - peculiar" for you.

If you type "Kendal" into the Find box on the camera submission page and click Find, guess what? The find you get has the crosshairs slap in the middle of (the hatch markings of) that junction of Lowther Street, Allhallows Lane, Highgate and Strickland Gate. If you then click on Update Coordinates, you get the entry of exactly the coordinates which appeared on the original submission.

As it seems a plethora of Verifiers are hastening off to Kendal this week, I shall leave the thread unlocked and let's all have a wager on which Verifier gets there first - maybe somebody should put up a hotdog and coke stand in the church's grass forecourt, or maybe they can just treat it as a sort of Verifiers Reunion? I'm afraid I haven't got the fuel etc (not to mention time) to spare, so I'll simply wish you all a super trip out. Smile

hedgeofthehog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Speed Camera Submissions and free subscription. Reply with quote

Hi there I am new to the GPS forums, how can I submit a speed camera that has been permanently removed so I can qualify for the lifetime free subscription to the GPS database? Thanks.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Speed Camera Submissions and free subscription. Reply with quote

hedgeofthehog wrote:
Hi there I am new to the GPS forums, how can I submit a speed camera that has been permanently removed so I can qualify for the lifetime free subscription to the GPS database? Thanks.

Fill in the details on this page. NOTE - you must be a currently subscribed member at the time you submit a report.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: