Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - BT GPS Position on Mobile
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

BT GPS Position on Mobile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdw75
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:38 pm    Post subject: BT GPS Position on Mobile Reply with quote

Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question
Hi!

Look here: http://www.hamilton.lv/new/DSCF7139a.JPG

Does anybody know, how to determine Bluetooth GPS position on Java compartable Mobile Phone.

I mean, where can we download such application?

Thanck you for reply.
Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question
chime
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:57 am    Post subject: Mobile Java BT GPS Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm working on one. There is certainly enough APIs in the Nokia 6230 (and others to allow such applications to be written).

So far, I have enough code:
- to make BT connection to the device and read the raw NMEA strings.
- to convert Lat/Lon to OSGB grid references (I'm mainly aiming at walking/MTB-ing apps).

What I'm missing is:
- java API to parse/decode NMEA sentences.
- more details about the Nemerix chipset. (NMEA extensions, Nemerix binary protocol and how to control/supported commands).
- graphics/icons for the GUI (my icons always look rubbish)

Contributions welcome :-)
themightyninja
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:23 pm    Post subject: Mobile Java BT GPS Reply with quote

Hi chime,

I'm also looking at doing this. It sounds like you've made good progress. I'm looking to buy some suitable hardware and supporting API. Can I ask exactly what hardware/software setup you're using?

Ideally I'm looking for a bluetooth GPS device which can be accessed via a Java app running on a phone. I was hoping to use the JSR-179 API but I'd settle for a proprietry API. Is it the LCS client API you're using?

BTW - I'm in the UK. I know the Motorola iDEN phones provide an API but as far as I'm aware they're not availble over here at present.

Cheers,

john
chime
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I am using a Nokia 6230 and a BT-77 unit bought of e-bay. Or at least, I was. I tucked the BT-77 into my back pocket to go for a walk. Sat in the car and drove off. Mechanically the unit looks fine but I can't get a fix out of it any more Sad Seems like the BT-77 is either not very strong or I was unlucky. I'm considering whether to get another BT-77, a Fortuna Clip-on or a Nokia LD-1W. The Nokia is just launched and available from only a few sources in the UK. (No good reviews that I could find). The battery performance isn't as impressive but all the chargers, batteries etc are compatible and I'd hope the mechanics would be robust and there should be a proper warrantee. (I always keep my 6230 in the back pocket of my jeans. I sit on it all the time and haven't lost any). It also comes with some Symbian software and a 3 month subscription for a sat nav service. (Not much use for a 6230 though).

You don't need JSR179 or a proprietary API to connect to a BT GPS. All the GPS units I'm aware of support NMEA & SPP (Bluetooth Serial Port Profile). You can connect to them pretty easily using JSR82 (Bluetooth API). I don't know the Moto range. I imagine they have models which support this API.

Other things I suggest that are worth looking out for are JSR75 (File Connection API) and MMC/SD or similar card support. (My thinking is these'll be useful in future for uploading maps, routes, storing track-logs etc). My Nokia is lacking these. It's replacement (the Nokia 6230i) has both.
jased
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject: Progress on bluetooth java app for phones? Reply with quote

I bought a Holux GPSlim236 (bluetooth gps thingy) this week, and the opportunity to use my phone as a display for it and as a speed camera warning application is extremely tempting.

I've a lot of java experience, albeit all of a server-side nature (no J2ME). I am keen to learn about J2ME so let me know if I can help build something! Or, if you've abandoned this is there any source or advice that I can start with?

Would this be something that you'd eventually look to open-source?

Jase
ps. The holux device is very nice, fast acquisition, small size, replaceable battery.

chime wrote:
Hi,

I am using a Nokia 6230 and a BT-77 unit bought of e-bay. Or at least, I was. I tucked the BT-77 into my back pocket to go for a walk. Sat in the car and drove off. Mechanically the unit looks fine but I can't get a fix out of it any more Sad Seems like the BT-77 is either not very strong or I was unlucky. I'm considering whether to get another BT-77, a Fortuna Clip-on or a Nokia LD-1W. The Nokia is just launched and available from only a few sources in the UK. (No good reviews that I could find). The battery performance isn't as impressive but all the chargers, batteries etc are compatible and I'd hope the mechanics would be robust and there should be a proper warrantee. (I always keep my 6230 in the back pocket of my jeans. I sit on it all the time and haven't lost any). It also comes with some Symbian software and a 3 month subscription for a sat nav service. (Not much use for a 6230 though).

You don't need JSR179 or a proprietary API to connect to a BT GPS. All the GPS units I'm aware of support NMEA & SPP (Bluetooth Serial Port Profile). You can connect to them pretty easily using JSR82 (Bluetooth API). I don't know the Moto range. I imagine they have models which support this API.

Other things I suggest that are worth looking out for are JSR75 (File Connection API) and MMC/SD or similar card support. (My thinking is these'll be useful in future for uploading maps, routes, storing track-logs etc). My Nokia is lacking these. It's replacement (the Nokia 6230i) has both.
chime
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: Java GPS mobile application Reply with quote

Hi Jased,

Yeah, I've been making progress. The midlet reads NMEA data, decodes it and displays your location in real time. It can also log NMEA data to MMC card or internal file store.

Hardly ground-breaking but it's progress.

Since the BT-77 is busted, I've moved to a Nokia LD-1W. It's really nice. The unit looks great. It's sturdy and compact. All the LEDs are hidden. And it came with a 32MB MMC card, a car charger and a Nokia Battery (same as in 6230 series). Performance seems OK. I've had no problem with getting locks (although haven't tried it in forests or 'urban' environment. The bluetooth connection is 100% (tested with both Digianswer and Bluetake stacks and with 6230 of course). So overall very impressed.

Anyway back to business. I've sent you a private message. Drop me a line and I can supply you with the necessary to get started.
BMW330
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did any of you ever finish this project?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: