Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - ViaMichelin launch V7 "New Edition" satnav softwar
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

ViaMichelin launch V7 "New Edition" satnav softwar
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EddyDC wrote:
Now that's one of the positve things about Garmin, where one could delete the unwanted voices.

jonandmarkuk wrote:
Would be nice if we could have a choice of voice for the TTS and general directions. Could be managed through content manager and give the option to delete ones you wouldn't use. I don't have any need for a french TTS option as I would never be able to understand it Laughing Would free up more space for POI's and MP3's ect.

Looking at the manual I think I know which files you could delete... but not certain. Wink
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if I should be here or on the support page, but anyway I have hit the problem that my XP PC no longer recognises the X980, after a few weeks of trouble-free working. Before I call out the VM cavalry I am wodering if Stu or anyone has some advice, please.

Yesterday I was adding some personal POIs from another site (coverting from csv to asc), and the UK tourist guide from the VM site. I did a couple of sychnronisations as I went along and as far as I could tell synchronisation was complete at the end, though it's not easy to be certain - Active Synch said 'synchronised' even when I had just re-started it, and I waited a fair while to be reasonably sure that the 1/2 and 2/2 steps of 'synchronisation in progress' was complete, though I didn't see a definite finish message in the dialog, so I was a little nervous when disconnecting the X980. Connecting today, Content Manager doesn't recognise the device, which stays in normal operational mode.

The PND itself seems perfectly ok, and my POI folder is on there ok. (I haven't worked out how the tourist guide is activated yet)

I have tried the following steps with no success:

soft reset;
hard reset;
PC restart;
removing/replacing the SD card;
using different USB ports;
uninstalling VM and trying to reinstall, but that now keeps asking me to connect the device as well, so the reinstall fails.

Can anyone help please?
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you see my thread on problems with content manager in this forum you will see that I had similar (but not identical) problems. The one thing you you don't seem to have done so far is a System Restore on your PC - maybe a hidden update or something has changed some settings.

Certainly the system restore option was the one that fixed my problems
EddyDC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: First impressions Reply with quote

Hi,

I finally got the chance to take my new 980 to a test. First impression: very good navigation, which don't send you through the small roads like the Garmin does. There are some problems too though.
- In Dutch the voice say to keep left/right instead of turn left/right. This very annoying when you need the know the difference between keep and turn
- The dutch voice pronounces also things like \ (backslash), which is needless
- the zoom level of the screen is too low whilst driving (without actions to be taken). One can hardly read the street names. Putting less info on the screen with the focus on the route and some sideway is much more efficient
- I don't know what happened, but the routing stopped once and I had to start the navigating again.
- as said the night modus based on time is useless and thus I get the irritating day modus when it's getting dark. A sensor is a must. A button on screen to put in night modus is also OK.
- the speed warnings on roads are far from accurate and unneeded, especially when drive up of a motorway (where you need to speed up)
- the standard built in db of speed cameras are also far from accurate. It indicates one where there is none and I've passed several unnotified. On top the warning is X 100 meters in advance and when you approach it slowly (traffic jam) it repeats it endlessly
- There is indeed a delay. It warned me that there was a school in neighborhood. Problem is that I passed it already and I wasn't speeding.
- The three points above makes that I switched it off, because it was too irritating
- I don't understand the use of the white text box. It should show the stree t where some action is needed. But sometimes the crossing has no name and thus the box is empty. The box should only appear X minutes before the action. Otherwise it's useless and take up the screen for nothing. It eg show X km in advance that I've arrived my destination
- the device shakes and rattles on bad roads (and there are a lot in BE)
- the stylus is a bit misplaced in such way that I can't pull it out once mounted (it hits the windscreen)
- the device should be able to shut down when the car key is out of the contact in order to save battery of device
- I don't see the use of the speed on top. All cars have a speedometer. Trouble is that one can't replace it by eg time of arrival as with the other two indicators
- what's the real difference between the blocnote and own POIs?

I hope that this and the below is a useful thing to improve the product. I hope that Stu (where is he BTW?) can solve the serious software problems in order to have a quick win

EddyDC wrote:
Hi,

I got Friday evening my 980T NE and these are my first impressions.
I didn't have the time yet to try out the navigation yet, so here are some things which I think could be done better:
- The box says that you can unpack and go immediately. Well that's not entirely true. The arrows on the initial setup are so narrow that it hardly recognizes my fingers and a stylus type of device is needed to walk through the device. Since it isn't delivered, this made me gave up after 10 mins and headed home.
- Once passed the initial setup, the buttons are big enough, but there seems sometime to be delay (of action) when hitting a button or the button gets selected and noting happens. It's also the case with 7.02
- I don't see why one should enter time. Shouldn't it come from the satellites? If not, I'm thinking about things like Daylight Saving Time, changing time zones which needs to be done manually. Not user friendly. On top of that, for some reason the time changed a couple of time. It wasn't the activesync (whic is rather useless if time should come from satellite) , since my PC has a similar time. Could it be that battery was too low?
- Changing from day to night modus is done by hour instead of a sensor. This implies that you need to change the hours in the winter a lot and when DST changes.
- The software thinks that one speaks only one language (instead of three) in Belgium and indicates the country as Belgique (thus French). This isn't very diplomatic concerning this delicate matter. We have still no federal government more than 160 days after the elections, due to this language problem. So this problem should be fixed asap.
Possible solutions are: indicate the country in the language of that part of the country (Dutch/Flemish, French or German) or have the country in the language of the user (maybe the best).
- Same issue with the viaMichelin site. When one clicks on the Belgian flag, you get the French version and there is no clear way to change the language. Very NOT done. Luckily I know how to fix this via the URL, but it's not way things should happen.
- Speaking of the site. There doesn't seem a link available for the radars update for Nav 7.
- A Flemish (instead of Dutch) TTS would be nice. They differ like American to British English and when it comes to directions, things might be confusing
- I would appreciate a specific home addresse POI which can be reached quickly. Now one needs to go the blocnote or selfmade POIs (thus too many steps) in order to get it.
- The lists of recently searched addresses shows doubles. So if you go to the same address a lot of time... One entry is enough. This will enable to show more other addresses
- The unit gets filthy rapidly. It's rather static charged (attracts dust) and the screen gets a lot of fingerprints quickly

So this it for now. I hope that something can be done about the software issues I've mentioned.

Eddy

Last edited by EddyDC on Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:08 am; edited 1 time in total
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much perussel. Strangely though my PC refuses do a system restore at all, even right back at the earliest checkpoint I've got, a month ago which is well before I installed VM - that hasn't happened before.

A couple of other oddities I've just noticed on the PND after the 'failed?'update - I don't get the 'I agree' initaliasation screen on the PND any more - it goes straight to wherever it was when I turned off. Also if downloading the tourist guide is supposed to set up the 'Routes' icon on the 'My Favourites' screen it certainly hasn't done it on my unit (makes me wonder if the synchronisation went wrong or I aborted it accidentally).

Not looking good!! Very grateful for any more thoughts from anyone. I can see a call to VM looming - maybe the PND software has got corrupted (Stu can you help please?). I only hope the PC itself isn't screwed up so that I have to do a complete re-installation of XP!
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry folks, me again, with apologies Sad for taking up your time. I finally seem to have found the problem - somehow during my efforts Active Synch had reset the 'allow USB connection' option Embarassed So once I set it again communication was established and I was able to reinstall VM and re-register the PND - everything now seems ok with my installed POIs all there. Razz

Ban retirees from technology! Stupid

Many thanks again.
michaelj2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: new V7 Software Reply with quote

michaelj2 wrote:
Stuart:

When will the new V7 software be available to purchase for existing 980T owners and what will the mechanism be? Will we be advised by VM or must we continue to check the website. I am very anxious to try it out!

regards

Still waiting for the V7 Software to appear on the website for purchase for existing X980T owners. Any news?
Deepfour
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All

Sorry that I haven't been in touch for a while but to say that we are busy with the Christmas rush would be an understatement.

I just wanted to update everyone on whats going on and how we are stiull working to support you.

I have a meeting on Thursday with Product Management and while I can't promise that all the issues will be cleared up right away, I do have the list from the site (thanks to you all) and will be going through each issue.

Just to let you know the V7.02 update on the web fixes several problems including:

"Slip Road Flaw": Route would take you off some slip roads then back on again.
- Message "Corrupted data" in Content Manager, under Vista
- Dangerous curves indication (left or right) was random
- System would shut down when deleting a stage along route planning
- No route after download of MyViaMichelin via GPRS
- ... and many wording mistakes that were corrected

We will have an update arounf 17th Decenber to V7.03 which will fix the speed camera download issues some people are getiing and other issues - I will post a full list of what this changes when I have it.

I know that some of you have had an issue with creating new folders when you have downloaded V7.02 and would ask anyone who can to email me a screen shot of this error to show to the developers.

I have now got a direct line to one of the chief software developers on the team and any info you give will be directed to him to make any urgent changes which affect the use of the products. Any cosmetic changes you want to recommend will be taken on board and put forward for inclusion in V8 in March but I think we need to sort out errors first.

Thanks to you all for the support,

Regards

Stu

www.leyio.com

Keep your eyes open in 2009 for a new way to share and swap files......Leyio!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Flossie15
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there

I have had my X970T for a few days now, and so far I love it! Apart from a few niggles setting up the software, I think the useability is brilliant.

However, I was wondering about the excessive speed function. Can it be switched off? I have a few roads nearby that are clearly signed for 40 mph, but my unit is telling me I have excessive speed if I go over 35! Or is there somewhere I can report to ViaMichelin that the map data is incorrect for that road?

Thanks! Very Happy
Deepfour
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Flossie

When you are navigating with the orange button in the right hand side of the screen....touch it and go into the first option on the right hand side which has 3 balls on it saying 1,2,3. This takes you into the guidence options. In the options that come up you will see that the central icon has security configuration written under it - In this area you can alter all the warnings which occur when you are travelling. You need to switch off the speed allert which is the second item down on the first page of these options.

Hope this makes sense...

Cheers

Stu

www.leyio.com

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Teessider66
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow - this thread is long, and very involved.
I'm looking to buy my first Sat Nav and found the X-970T recommended in a mag and was attracted by the level of functionality the unit has for the price (£120 on the web) compared to a Tomtom. Reading this thread has really confused me, so I have a number of questions ....

1. Is the post code search really that inaccurate? This is a fundamental function, there are comments that only a few houses are mapped.

2. How many voice options are there in English. Male / Female etc.

3. Do the voice directions name streets, e.g "turn left into Warwick Road"?

4. The software on this site; speed cameras, are the more accurate, are they easy to load?

5. Can map updates only be sourced from VM?

Thanks for indulging me; this unit looks the Mutt's Nuts and much better value than other manufacturers.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teessider66 wrote:

1. Is the post code search really that inaccurate? This is a fundamental function, there are comments that only a few houses are mapped.

Never found it a problem. Remember Postcode search on all devices will be the same. Postcodes are the 'area'

Have the x980t so not sure

As far as I know only the x980t has the TTS and it does say things like turn left into Warwick Road, sometimes it even clarifies it and says 'at the end of the road.....'

4. The software on this site; speed cameras, are the more accurate, are they easy to load?

The PC software handles updating the VM speed cameras. With the x970 you should also be able to update via GPRS

Yes, as with most map updates, the VM updates are the cheapest I have seen for any GPS unit. About 80 euro.

Thanks for indulging me; this unit looks the Mutt's Nuts and much better value than other manufacturers.

It does have it's problems but so do ALL GPS units, the difference is VM support the software and provide patches.
Bertie100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teessider66 wrote:
Wow - this thread is long, and very involved.
I'm looking to buy my first Sat Nav and found the X-970T recommended in a mag and was attracted by the level of functionality the unit has for the price (£120 on the web) compared to a Tomtom. Reading this thread has really confused me, so I have a number of questions ....

Hi, I'm very pleased with my X970T. It's a good deal IMO.

1. It takes you to the beginning, middle or end of the road (depending where the house no is). The address search is more accurate, it can take you to the house number exactly. A few of us have asked for Michelin to enhance the postcode search to the same accuracy of the 'address search'.

2. One english voice (female). I think there may also be a US english voice aswell?

3. Not on the X970T (No TTS). Voice commands are clear.

4. The ViaMichelin Speed cameras are very accurate, but only cover fixed speed cameras. Use the PGPSW (this site) ones for mobile camera alerts.

5. I believe that maps can only be sourced from Michelin.

It also has a great car mount...

The fact that Michelin listen to enhancement requests, and sort out bugs fairly quickly is one of the main selling point for me... oh and Stu's (Deepfour) support on the forum.
Flossie15
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a TT 910 before I swapped to VM. The VM unit is much more manageable and lightweight, and the car mount is much more ergonomically friendly than other mounts that I have seen. It also doesn't leave a nasty ring on my windscreen.

I really like the software that comes with it both on the unit and on the PC. Once I figured it out, it all seems straightforward to use.

The postcode search for me is fine. I know others want to be taken straight to the door, but I think you use a PND as a guide rather than being an absolute be all and end all of navigation.

I have used SatNav systems that are inbuilt into a car, and I find this more intuitive and informative than they have been. Plus the Michelin guides are a bonus.
Deepfour
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Flossie

Thanks for the feedback and I am glad you like your new products. We dont claim to be perfect and please feel free to report anything back that you feel could improve the unit.

We are all ears!!

Cheers

Stu

www.leyio.com

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 18 of 20

Jump to: