Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin street pilot 3
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin street pilot 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldsweat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Garmin street pilot 3 Reply with quote

Hi all ,going by the dates on some of these letters it might be a couple of years before I get any replies to my query.As a point of interest I bought my first bike on the morning of my 16th birthday in Feb 1955 & Ive been riding now for nearly 53 years having had no fewer than 24 bikes.Come to think of it I just had a count up of cars & it was 26, an Isette bubble car & 3 PCV vehicles in my business.To the point though I was using a Street pilot 3 in my M/H until I up- dated it for a touchscreen model & decided to fit the old 1 to my motorbike,after a bit of a struggle I eventually had to mount it on a homemade bracket in the center of the windscreen just below eye level this doesnt effect my view ahead.You do have to look at these older units as sqare on as possible.In my motorhome it was crystal clear but as I moved the bike out into the air I could hardly see anything on the screen,even after fitting a cowling across the top of the unit.No advice or comments from Garmin although this model is supposed to be for a m/bike.Any ideas other than buying another one???? Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Mad Embarassed Confused Sad
tomthompson
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard one to answer , but it tends to be get it as close to you as possible (safely) and make the bracket adjustable ,it might take just a slight swivel to stop the ambient light blocking the screen.

Even so on my 2720 there are times that light reflection makes it impossible to see the screen.

Mine is in the middle of my handlebars so that if I cant see it I can crane forward and use the shadow of my helmet to cover the screen .

Question

Oh by the way on ebay someone in US of A sells sunshades for the streetpilots . They dont look designer style but might help.

I keep on learning but they invent new things faster ,How do I keep up ?
oldsweat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Garmin Pilot 3 screens Reply with quote

Thanks for your response about my Garmin.Ihave made quite a deep sunshade for it but it dont make much improvment.Its set in the centre of my windscreen about chin level so my eyes are viewing it at a very slight downward angle,this is not quite so good as having it eye level ,if I swivel it up that tiny bit then I'm back to square 1.Anyway Ive got a longish ride planned for Sunday so that'll be a chance to see if its good enough or back to the old map book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
tomthompson
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does sound like it might be too high . The higher it is the more light it can catch from more angles.

Mine I look down to the speedo and then down some more for the gps

I keep on learning but they invent new things faster ,How do I keep up ?
oldsweat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Street pilot 3 Reply with quote

I did start off with it mounted low directly on the handlebars but couldnt see a thing there hense the reason for mounting as high as possible but not to block my view of the road ahead.
Fred333
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That must be a tough mounting problem especially on a bike.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: