Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Recommendation
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Recommendation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leeus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:21 am    Post subject: Recommendation Reply with quote

Evening all, I have my Pocket PC with TomTom and I am getting a bit fed up with having to mount it etc. etc. I have just bought a new Focus and was a bit stupid and didn't get sat nav, I want an in-car solution if possible and was after some thoughts.

The focus stereo at the moment is 2-DIN but hopefully this shouldn't cause any issues??? I want to spend around £500-700, probably do the install myself, is this easy??? Not too fussed about huge LCD screen!

Thanks in advance,

Lee
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before going to what is arguably a rather extreme step of getting rid of a working Pocket PC based system and a working car stereo, have you considered something like a Brodit mount so that you just have to drop the Pocket PC into the cradle when you get into the car?

I doubt you'll get a system as fully featured as your Pocket PC for 600-700 pounds. You need to remember that part of your money on what you propose is going to replace your stereo.

The install of some of the integrated systems is a little tricky, as the better ones need a speed sensor input, which they use with a gyro for inertial navigation alongside the GPS signal (it helps when the GPS signal is poor, and is your only option if GPS coverage is interrupted).

If you do go for an integrated system - check the cost of map discs. I remember that when I once looked at the discs used in the Siemens systems that you can have factory fitted on a Vauxhall, they were something like 150 pounds each. This was around the middle of last year, though.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: