Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Membership Subscription Options Change
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Membership Subscription Options Change
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 30, 31, 32  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record Anita, I have never posted with multiple accounts and never will, this is the only posting ID I use, If you read my posting again you will see it is a question not a statement, as for dennis you will find that I have never posted a question relating to information directly related to the camera database or claimed to use it, also if we want to quote rules what about this one
Quote:
PRIVACY: We will not sell or give away your email address for advertising, any details you give us in the forum or when you subscribe to our email lists will remain confidential unless we are requested to hand over these details to law enforcement agencies or a court of law.

It is the policy of PocketGPSWorld.com to respect the privacy of its users and understand that they have a choice as to whether they wish to receive communications from us or not. Occasionally, e-mails will be sent to users who have previously communicated with PocketGPSWorld.com to inform them of features, products or services they have expressed an interest in or may find useful.

By the way my original post was not a complaint but purely an alternative suggestion, perhaps everybody should lighten up and treat this as a forum and expect other people to have different views, for what its worth i also respect the work of the team and have said so many times in posts.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj2052 wrote:
For the record Anita, I have never posted with multiple accounts and never will, this is the only posting ID I use

I didn't accuse you of doing so. I was simply pointing out to mostdom that if he was correct in saying
mostdom wrote:
it does look like aj2052 may have two login accounts
then you would be breaking forum rules.

aj2052 wrote:
if we want to quote rules what about this one
Quote:
PRIVACY: We will not sell or give away your email address for advertising, any details you give us in the forum or when you subscribe to our email lists will remain confidential unless we are requested to hand over these details to law enforcement agencies or a court of law.

It is the policy of PocketGPSWorld.com to respect the privacy of its users and understand that they have a choice as to whether they wish to receive communications from us or not. Occasionally, e-mails will be sent to users who have previously communicated with PocketGPSWorld.com to inform them of features, products or services they have expressed an interest in or may find useful.

I don't understand what you're getting at here. Confused

I agree we're all entitled to state our opinion, but the 'database should be free' topic has already been done to death on this forum, and it has become extremely boring.
Samsung Galaxy S21
Chef_uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst i support your decision to take action, it will never stop those that pirate. You could offer the database for £100 and it would be on the warez and torrent sites within hours.

Is removing the monthly subs only hurting a minority here? What % of subs are monthly to annual?

Why not increase the Monthly subs to £5? I only invisage ever needing an up to date database twice a year so even at £5pm, a year would only cost £10.

I know £10 and £19 may not seem like a big difference, but to me and no doubt some others it is. I have to live off one wage to support my new family. Releasing £2 per month is alot easier for me than a one off £19.

Will you monitor the piracy activity from here on in to see whether this movement proves successful? and if it doesn't, will you consider bringing back the monthly subs? (legit questions, not trying to argue or upset anyone)
FazerUK
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

georgemac wrote:

If I were a regular road user £19 a year is a fair price, but I know where all the 6 cameras are on the roads around where we live.

I know all my local camera, and when my sat nav is not in the car, I have forgot and came very close once or twice a couple of time, one just tonight, so now i got to wait 2 week and see. and what funny, the camera that flashed me was the one I got my life time membership off
Western_Europe-Map v650.1127
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chef_uk wrote:
Whilst i support your decision to take action, it will never stop those that pirate. You could offer the database for £100 and it would be on the warez and torrent sites within hours.

the reality here though is that in order for someone to share the database they have to first buy it from us. there are no other sources for our data unlike eg adobe photoshop where you can get a trial version and various people produce hacks to circumvent the trial period - there are then lots of sources that cost nothing in the first place.

the idea was that if someone was banned for sharing their £2 database then somehow managed to re-register it is only £2 / 1 months downloading they have lost out on. by only having an annual option then those who wish to share the database stand to lose more by doing so.

Chef_uk wrote:

Will you monitor the piracy activity from here on in to see whether this movement proves successful? and if it doesn't, will you consider bringing back the monthly subs? (legit questions, not trying to argue or upset anyone)

we constantly monitor piracy/copyright issues and if this does not turn out to affect the amount of piracy then i personally (cannot see why we wouldn't bring back the monthly subscription. note that this is my personal thought and does not necessarily mirror that of the directors of PGPSW (sorry, had to add that as forum posts can haunt you for a long time!)

MaFt
Adamj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could understand a subscriber selling a sat nav with the speed cameras database already installed or putting them on a friends/family member(s) sat nav, but to actually cash in on the databases like they do on ebay really does take the and will no doubt eventually ruin it for the rest of us.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita if you find it so boring why respond?, the quote was actually for Dennis who I must now apoligise to for misunderstanding what i thought initially his request for publishing names, although now he worries me for possibly advocating only paying subscibers should post and registered members shouldnt, I cant recollect unregistered guests could or have posted anyway. incedently i do not condone or encourage piracy in any way just fairness and i also do my bit by contributing substantionly to the POI database.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, now that we're all friends again, lets keep this on topic now...

less personal stuff, more discussion stuff!

MaFt
The Rudd
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I support the decsion fully as well, for the sake of £19.00 for one year of speed cameras is hardly much to ask for in this day and age. Keep up the good work.

Jerry
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
ok, now that we're all friends again, lets keep this on topic now...

less personal stuff, more discussion stuff!

Hastily adds that if it gets locked for going off topic,
Quote:
But personally, I'll bet you a year's subscription they don't lock it for at least a month
all bets are off!!!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
weelogic
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the risk of being flamed, I disagree not with the decision but with the views on the database. I have posted several times on non-existent cameras and have logged numerous removal requests with substantiated facts. The most common errors (in my locality) are listings for speed warning signs, which the database "rules" state are not to be listed as mobile sites.

The database may be better than alternatives - I don't know, I haven't tried others and am one of those people who still thinks of wares (sic) as what a friendly trader sells at a market - but it's still woefully inaccurate on the mobile sites. There are many many sites which can never be called "regular" and it remains easier to have a site listed than removed. That's just my opinion, but the lack of response to removal requests justifies that opinion to me.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering if it might be any benefit to the team and moderators if people's IDs a distinguishable - for example an 'M' suffix for paid up members and a 'G' suffix for those who use the free forum.

There appear to be a few people who sail close to the wind as regards forum rules are concerned and it is possibly people who haven't paid their subscription who are the worst offenders because they have nothing to lose.

It may be easier for the team for act appropriately if they know who has or hasn't paid for their subscription.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RQ wrote:
Let's not get too upset with the people that:-

1. think £19 is too much to pay
2. think that they do not have to subscribe

Well said. There will be people who think it's too expensive and that's fair enough. You can't please everyone all the time.
daddyslaphead
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a newcomer I thought I'd got really luck for once - a site that offered an excellent service for next to nothing. I don't drive mega miles a year so the ability to update on an occasional basis for just a couple of quid was just what I needed.

Still, I agree that piracy has to be stopped and unfortunately we all have to suffer because of the actions of others. I agree with what you have done and will certainly pay a full subscription. It's a small enough cost for the benefits available. I think most would agree.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj2052 wrote:
Sorry Darren i thought this was a forum i didnt realise that you had to subscribe to post aswell, have you never heard of of posting IDs

My point was as I'm sure you realise, that how frequently we release the database can't be of concern to you as you have never subscribed to it. We have been releasing twice monthly for some time now and thought it was time we left MaFt and his family get away from the computer for a little break Smile

The very fact that admin and management of this little enterprise is now so complicated and time consuming is indicated by the fact that we would really struggle to publish a release without MaFt and so resigned ourselves to managing subscriptions and other issues in his absence.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Page 3 of 32

Jump to: