Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PGPSW set up or dedicated unit?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PGPSW set up or dedicated unit?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nick_j007
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: PGPSW set up or dedicated unit? Reply with quote

Hello all,

I have a Garmin i3, but have been looking at newer dedicated GPS/speed camera navigation units such as the Pogo Drive or Snooper by Syrius. I gather now though that the Pogo drive does not have mobile units in the database.

Just wondering if the databse from here (which I am running) is frankly as good as the database one would find on one of these similar units?

Also the updating is expensive in comparison to my infrequent updating from this site. I mostly drive across a couple of counties so my need is not that great in terms of updating you see. Many thanks.

Your thoughts please...
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously my opinion is biased but I do review SCD's for the website and whilst I could have the pick of them for my daily use I rely on ours because it as least as accurate and often much better than the competition.

Because we have so many users spotting cameras we can capture mobiles and temporary sites much quicker than the established companies who employ small teams.

I'll let others who have experience of both comment though for a less biased opinion!
nick_j007
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fair comment...thanks Ed.

Nick
sneeks
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a chance to compare the Pocketgpsworld camera database against the Talex Lite and I thought I'd share my thoughts here. So far so good. The database has so far proved to feature all the same fixed camera locations as my Talex Lite, and on several journeys it has had additional mobile sites. Unfortunately with the mobile sites I have never been able to confirm if these additional sites are real or not as no van was present at that time.

Of the two I'd probably still favour the Talex for everyday use as the directional warnings really do offer an extra level of convenience. Without this feature the warnings sound often for cameras which are located on the other side of the road or on roads running parallel to my actual location. This is no fault of the database but more of the integration within TT6, I was aware this would be the case though before this test. It's definitely beneficial and less intrusive to only receive warnings which are on the route I am driving.

For anyone who currently lacks any form of detection but has the relevant equipment to use the database with then I would not hesitate in recommending it. The locations are certainly up there with the databases which I consider to be the best available in the UK, namely Talex and Origin (yes I have owned and tested most GPS camera units from the leading manufacturers). Origin have lost points in my opinion though with their lack of mobile locations. From the email I received from them they did nothing to convince me that these will be added any time soon.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So far so good. The database has so far proved to feature all the same fixed camera locations as my Talex Lite, and on several journeys it has had additional mobile sites.

PGPSW data is pretty good then?

Quote:
Unfortunately with the mobile sites I have never been able to confirm if these additional sites are real or not as no van was present at that time.

No need for you to confirm them, all mobiles have been confirmed, it's the pmobiles which are awaiting comfirmation/verification and that takes time because, as you said, the vans aren't always there.
nick_j007
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just back from France for 2 weeks. Interesting reply thank you sneeks.

So nice to be able to drive and see so few cameras and what have you!

I shall happily stick to my PGPSW database then for UK use anyway.

Nick
Coelacanth
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion isn't biased at all, and I still think the PocketGPSWorld database is by far superior to anything else.

I use a Snooper S2 Neo along side my TomTom, and the Database on the TomTom (from here) is much more accurate.
nick_j007
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noted!

Many thanks.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: