Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How long does it take to verify a submission?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How long does it take to verify a submission?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HughG
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Who verifies European Cameras ? Reply with quote

Hi

Just out of interest who verifies the European camera site submissions ? I travel from one end of France to the other every year and try to keep a record of all the camera's I spot as well as any changes to those in the UK.

Do we have access to the submitted but not verified cameras to download? If we did then I'm sure people could/would go out of their way a little to check them out, making the database even more accurate.

What do people think ?

cheers Hugh
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Who verifies European Cameras ? Reply with quote

HughG wrote:
Just out of interest who verifies the European camera site submissions ? I travel from one end of France to the other every year and try to keep a record of all the camera's I spot as well as any changes to those in the UK.

Do we have access to the submitted but not verified cameras to download? If we did then I'm sure people could/would go out of their way a little to check them out, making the database even more accurate.

Thanks for this Hugh. If you report cameras, using the submission page, it may well turn out that you verify a previous report. We're just getting off the ground with European cameras, as I'm sure you know, so verifiers are thin on the ground over there.

But the other method is as I suggest - your reports might do the business.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
littlesthobo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the two speed cameras have been changed from 40 to 30 and the additional camera added. But I've not heard anything, nor does the Speed Camera page allow me to access the downloads - does that mean I wasn't the first to notify PocketGPS of these - or am I missing something?!?!?!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

littlesthobo:

you would have qualified for a free lifetime subscription as your submissions of 8th and 11th september were the first to report the change however your subscription expired some 7 months prior on 18th february.

you need to be a current subscriber at the time of submission to qualify.

MaFt
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has your subscription run out? - you can't download unless you have a current subscription.

Either you weren't the first reporter, or you weren't a subscribed member at the time you reported - the free memberships have already been awarded by now for the latest update "will be credited with lifetime memberships by 17:00 24 Sep 07", so if "your" cameras are now amended, you didn't get the toffee apple. Sad

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate Parrots and Sick!!

This is why I NEVER miss getting my Lotto ticket and why I have NEVER changed the numbers I started with on the very first Lotto draw.

GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any way of changing the system so that only currently subscribed members are able to submit cameras, then you won't have to keep repeating the message "you weren't a subscribed member at the time of your submission."

This may save a little time and effort because it could reduce the amount of cross-checking of camera submissions and subscriptions.

DennisN wrote:
I hate Parrots and Sick!!

This is why I NEVER miss getting my Lotto ticket and why I have NEVER changed the numbers I started with on the very first Lotto draw.

I know somebody this happened to - same numbers week after week and the one time he didn't buy a ticket these numbers came up. He was worse than a sick parrot because it went to a rollover, so he'd have been a single winner
littlesthobo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Has your subscription run out? - you can't download unless you have a current subscription.

Either you weren't the first reporter, or you weren't a subscribed member at the time you reported - the free memberships have already been awarded by now for the latest update "will be credited with lifetime memberships by 17:00 24 Sep 07", so if "your" cameras are now amended, you didn't get the toffee apple. Sad

My subscription had run out, but didn't realise you had to have to be subsribed when reporting a camera. Therefore I was either not the first or it sounds like you've got a "free" report of a camera - surely you just have to be a registered member!

Is it possible to let me know if I was the first and have just missed out by not understanding the rules about being subscribed or not?!

Thanks
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

littlesthobo wrote:
Is it possible to let me know if I was the first and have just missed out by not understanding the rules about being subscribed or not?!

See MaFt's reply immediately before (typed at the same time as) mine above. That's the case I'm afraid. I must say I find it unusual that you were still looking at cameras even though you can't have downloaded the database for ages.

Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

littlesthobo wrote:

Thanks

As MaFt has posted, you were unfortunate in missing out because you were not subscribed. We took a conscious decision to make this a requirement for many reasons and whilst i appreciate it is unfortunate in your case, we have made these requirements clear on the submissions and subscriptions pages.

The recent move to annual subscriptions only should at least reduce the instance of subscribers with lapsed subs falling foul of this.
littlesthobo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Missed that post from MaFt!

I feel a little stupid but also more than a little annoyed. You say you award "free" lifetime memberships but you have to pay to have a chance! In fact you have to pay £19 to possibly get it free! I don't understand why you have to be a subscribing member and not just a member of this site.

DennisN wrote:
I must say I find it unusual that you were still looking at cameras even though you can't have downloaded the database for ages.

Why? Ever since I got my SatNav I have used this site. I paid for a months trial of the database and then have either forgotten or not got round to updating. I have added or corrected about 250 POI's and thought I was doing the right thing by changing 2 existing cameras and adding a new one. If I had been a bit more clued up I would have updated my subscription to be in with a chance of being the first - if I the wasn't the first then oh well. The fact I did this in good faith and I'm missing out more than a little aggravates me. I assume if I reactivate my subscription a posthumous award is out of the question?!?!
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

littlesthobo wrote:
I don't understand why you have to be a subscribing member and not just a member of this site.

Sadly, that's what the rules stipulate and if the team bend the rules for you, then where do they draw the line?

Other people have accepted that they weren't subscribed at the time of their subscriptions.

It may be best just to assume that you weren't the first to submit and leave it that instead of getting yourself worked up about it.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

littlesthobo wrote:
- surely you just have to be a registered member!

Isn't that how all 'clubs' work? Confused If you joined a gym and let your subscription lapse would you still expect to use the facilities?

If you only had to be a registered member anyone who had a pirated copy of the database could register, report a new or changed camera and get free life membership.
Samsung Galaxy S21
littlesthobo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
Isn't that how all 'clubs' work? Confused If you joined a gym and let your subscription lapse would you still expect to use the facilities?

No I wouldn't but neither would I try and help the gym to be more successful and try and help it keep up to date equipment!

Anita wrote:
If you only had to be a registered member anyone who had a pirated copy of the database could register, report a new or changed camera and get free life membership.

That isn't an accurate argument! You don't need a copy of the database (pirated or not) - you need to be able to be first to find and new or changed camera - I found 3! Someone who wanted to sell a pirated copy via free membership still needs to find that "new" camera. (NOT why I'm after free membership)

I accept I miss read the rules - that is not in doubt what I am saying is that I provided PocketGPS with accurate information to 3 cameras where no-one else had. They claim to be one of the most accurate sites for camera information, but rely on its members, old and new, to keep it that way. I made a mistake but offered my information in good faith all I'm asking (from the people who run this site) is a bit of leniency. I missed the "small print" about being subscribed. I even didn't renew as I thought it may be a waste of money to do so if I was lucky to get free membership. If I wasn't then I was going to renew - hence why I started this thread to find out whether I needed to renew or not!

Maybe a PocketGPS member could continue this conversation outside the public eye via PM?!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

littlesthobo wrote:
Maybe a PocketGPS member could continue this conversation outside the public eye via PM?!

You have a PM.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: