Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT 720 Playlist format
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT 720 Playlist format

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The_Slapper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject: TT 720 Playlist format Reply with quote

Hi all,

Does anybody know how to install a playlist in the 720 jukebox?

Firstly I must state that I've had no problem actually playing music through the jukebox (although it is a shame that MP3 is the only format supported, as I and I'm sure a high percentage of others have their music stored in iTunes in MP4 format). The thing that originally spurred me to get a playlist working is that the shuffle feature doesn't seem to work. As there is no playlist to choose, you have to pick a starting song and the 720 just plays them in order from that point (even though the shuffle feature is switched on!). So, I'm assuming that once I manage to create and use a playlist that this shuffle feature will work??

I have created an mp3 (lowercase) directory on my SD card (having deleted the corresponding directory on the internal memory) and everything works fine. HOWEVER, no matter which format of playlist I create, (I tried .m3u, .pls, .m3u8 all from winamp, .wpl & .asx format playlists that Windows Media Player 11 exports & the .xml playlist from iTunes), they don't work! No matter where I put these playlists, they do not appear in the playlist page on the 720 jukebox function. Aaaagghhhh! Surely something like this should be documented in the manual........

So I've given up for now and sent this question to TomTom support: "Which file format for Jukebox playlists is supported, and where should the playlist reside? I've tried every format of playlist I can find and put them in every sensible location, both in the internal memory and on the SD card, but my 720 still won't recognise them. I have no problem loading and listening to MP3s it's just the playlist option that is missing."

Hopefully they'll come back with a simple fix :o)

PS. I did find a pdf of the 910 manual on the web, and in there it states that the .m3u and .pls formats are recognised but doesn't elaborate on the point.

Still waiting for an answer from Tomtom support..........
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been doing a lot of messing about with the mp3 jukebox over the last couple of days (mainly working out how the ID tags work to get the Album/Artist lists right, and then trying to find a way to STOP the voice instructions while songs are playing (see HERE)

Shuffle definitely DOES work on my 720, but I think it depends on where you start from. If you tick shuffle then go to the "song" list, it shuffles at random, but if you go via the Album or artist listings it only shuffles from that album or artist.

As for playlists, I've not got that far yet, but I remember seeing one mention of them in the "manual". (found it...) On page 27 it says:
Quote:
Note: You can create playlists using a third-party application like iTunes, Musicmatch or Winamp.

So it SHOULD work!
I'll have a try tonight....

OH yeah. While mucking around, I've managed to get it confused more than once, such as dipping the music for an instruction and it never coming back, and it refusing to sound POI warnings while playing a song! I had to do a reset to fix it, might be worth it on yours.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had another thought re: playlists.

Although it seems to find mp3s on BOTH the internal flash memory and on the SD card, there is a bug that means audiobooks are only being looked for on the flash memory. Maybe it's the same for playlists.

Once again, it is left to the poor user to sort out the most basic of bugs and errors in their software! Evil or Very Mad
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't you read the small print then?

On purchase of a TomTom device and registering it with TomTom you are automatically added to the Beta Testers Team. Laughing Laughing Razz Razz
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xda wrote:
Didn't you read the small print then?

On purchase of a TomTom device and registering it with TomTom you are automatically added to the Beta Testers Team. Laughing Laughing Razz Razz

I wish I was!
I'd love to be part of an official testing team. I've got loads of ideas for additions and improvements, but with TomTom's convoluted/crazy-arsed system of "asking a question", I've no confidence that anything I suggest ever makes it past the first-line customer services bods.

Give us a proper feedback system TomTom!
The_Slapper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again,
have just received my reply to the above query from Tomtom "support", but unfortunately it wasn't worth the wait, it was basically a link to the GO 720 sales part of their website, Which shows all the wonderful new features of this unit. What a waste of time!! Why didn't they just admit it doesn't work rather than insulting my intelligence with an answer like that!!! Grrrrrrrrr Mad

Ahhh well, they invited me to answer to their reply, so I might just ask them outright to tell me whether the feature actually works or not.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do it...
I've decided not to give up with any of my unanswered questions. Although its like hitting your head against a brick wall, its the only way to show them that their "stock" answers are not good enough.
crich
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a reply from TomTom regarding playlists and can now create my own playlists.

1) Create a playlist in winamp and save it with a .m3u extension.
2) Rename the playlist so it has a .pla extension
3) Edit the contents of the file using "notepad". Change the path pointing to the mp3 files (takes a few seconds using search/replace.)by removing the "\mp3\" part

For example, change from :-

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:317,Audioslave - The Last Remaining Light
K:\mp3\Audioslave\Audioslave\14 - The Last Remaining Light.mp3

To:-

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:317,Audioslave - The Last Remaining Light
Audioslave\Audioslave\14 - The Last Remaining Light.mp3

4) copy the playlist to the mp3 folder on TomTom.

This works for me.
Steveee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Managed to create a playlist from iTunes rather than using winamp.

Exported xml playlists from iTunes for the mp3 files copied from iTunes to an mp3 folder in a 4Gb SD card.

I then converted the xml play list to M3U playlist using the David Lomas.com Playlist Converter http://www.davidlomas.com/playlistconverter/ . As my mp3 files were not in sub folders when copied to the SD card I said No to "Include #EXTINF". I also changed the extension to PLA rather than M3U.

As this playlist still inludes the folder structure from iTunes and amended by David Lomas.com Playlist Converter I opened the PLA file in Microsoft Excel using the "/" as column delimeters. I deleted the columns I did not need so the resultant files looked something like this:

Quote:
#EXTM3U
02 - All Day and All Of The Night.mp3
22 Anyone Who Had A Heart.mp3
1-04 Baby Love.mp3
Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down).mp3
01 Beyond And Before.mp3
Blowin' In The Wind.mp3
02 Born to Be Wild.mp3

I used iTunes to create all the playlists I needed for the selected files. This works well. Very Happy
GO 920 (retired)
Garmin Oregon 550T
Garmin Drivesmart
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slapper wrote
Quote:
it is a shame that MP3 is the only format supported, as I and I'm sure a high percentage of others have their music stored in iTunes in MP4 format
Google "Sound Taxi" and you will be able to download a programme that will convert your MP4s to MP3s, and remove the protection so you can play iTunes etc music on any MP3 player including TT Gos etc.

Incidentally have you seen that you can now download unprotected MP3s at Amazon.co.uk? And they are cheaper than iTunes downloads.
Curious
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that this is a long time since last post, but I just wanted to say thanks, I came from Garmin to TT (after being with Garmin for about 8 years) and I love my TT (now I have got over the learning curve) but this play list thing has been driving me mad Evil or Very Mad and now I found this subject it was soooo easy to solve, I feel stupid (again). So thanks for members sharing there findings

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: