Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Newbie Aldi/Medion Questions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie Aldi/Medion Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deleth
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 10:57 am    Post subject: Newbie Aldi/Medion Questions Reply with quote

We have had one of these for a couple of weeks to evaluate the benefits of gps for our business.

The concept seems great that we can hand out a job to one of our installers and he should manage to arrive on site just by typing in the address into the pocketpc.

To trial it I have been using when I go out to survey but I'm having a few problems which may be due to the budget nature of the package, a faulty unit or me.

Problems as follows

Takes an age to get a lock in my Zafira and constantly loses lock but not to bad in transporter van.

When you have reached yor destination then tap in a new destination the timer to look up addresses just keeps rotating so that you have to close the programme and start again.

The pocket pc constantly hangs and requires a soft reset a few times a week when using the navigation software.

I have not loaded any extra software onto the pocket pc or connected it to the computer because we may take it back and I did not want to break any software seals that came in the box.

Should I load the PC software in case there are updates?

How good is the software and map details with this unit compared to Tom Tom or Co-pilot?

Any input/advice greatly appreciated

Superb site by the way, I'm learning everytime I log on.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Zafira most probably has a tinted windshield (some metallic coating against the sun) that is blocking the GPS reception. Try placing the receiver in the area between the rearview mirror and the windshield, or in one of the lower corners - those are soetimes spared out of the coating

What's the map size that you are working with? You may be testing the limit of the RAM that your machines have, and this produces all kinds of funny effects, like the ones you describe. Try using smaller maps.

The product itself is more or less on par with TomTom and CoPilot. In Germany Navigon/Medion is the most used product, by the way.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
druck
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie Aldi/Medion Questions Reply with quote

Deleth wrote:
When you have reached yor destination then tap in a new destination the timer to look up addresses just keeps rotating so that you have to close the programme and start again.

The pocket pc constantly hangs and requires a soft reset a few times a week when using the navigation software.

I have not loaded any extra software onto the pocket pc or connected it to the computer because we may take it back and I did not want to break any software seals that came in the box.

Ah theres your problem. You should go to http://www.medion.de/ although its in German the word download is rather familiar Smile then enter your model number (40600) and download all of the patches. Once installed on the PDA, these will fix problems you experianced, such as not being able to pick destinations, and also card errors if the unit is turned off in the middle of navigation (if you stop to fill up).

Quote:
Should I load the PC software in case there are updates?

The PC software is in two parts. First is the Active Sync program that is used to communicate with the PDA and to synchronise address books and email etc. You'll need this to download the updates to the unit. The second part is the map software which allows you to choose sections of the maps to download, which you probably wont need unless you are making up routes through Europe.

Cheers
---Dave
Deleth
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replys. I have moved the gps mouse onto the drivers door top and now get a lock almost instantly :D . I'll download the patches on monday as the software and cradle are at work. Once again thanks
Ann
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys

Sorry for kinda hijacking this thread but i've downloaded the files as recommended but where exactly do I put them? I clicked on the 'patch' file and it added that to the registery, but its the other files such as 00remote.003 and 00touch.002. Im not sure where to put them as they have no file association.

Thankyou for any help

Ann :D
Deleth
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry Ann your not alone.
I've just downloaded the files to my desktop and now stumped as to what to do. I've even read the pdf manual but it only talks about self installing applications. Can some kind sole do a step by step instruction.

Thanks in advance
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you've opened the .CAB file with a tool like WinZip, Ann, which isn't the right way to do things.

If you have a .CAB file, you should copy it to your Pocket PC, then run it (using a File Explorer - the built in one will do). It should then execute, install and delete itself.

David
druck
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have explained. The patch files you download are PC executables, which when run create a c:\Medion directory. Link with active Active Sync and use its explorer button to bring up a window showing the Pocket PC root directory. Copy the files in the Medion directory down to the Pocket PC root directory. Then from the Pocket PC file explorer, run the files. Any further instructions will be given in English.

Cheers
---Dave
Ann
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys

Well I think I know what im doing now :D

Yes DavidW I had tried opening the files with winzip. So I'll give it another go, how hard can it be to find a root directory... Im a woman, I can stop and ask for directions ha ha ha :D 8)

Thankyou once again.. i'll stop hijacking now!

Ann

PS im really looking forward to the Medion review when its put on here
Deleth
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right then

Copied the files from the C:Medion folder on PC that is created when you double click the downloaded files to the temp folder on the pocket PC. Then double clicked these files on the pocket PC and they installed themselves.
Hope these updates solve the one or two problems I've been having but overall chuffed with the system.

Thanks
drew
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to fix the problem with the MMC cards getting lost during a powerdown by using the 'M' utility and unchecking 'SD slot powered off during sleep mode' in Power Manager.

However, the patches are a great find! I will install them once I've managed to translate them :D

Drew
drew
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since installing the SDReg.exe patch I now find I cannot soft reset the PPC with the Sandisk WiFi SD card slotted in - it comes up with the WiFi settings screen and hangs. Sad

However, removing and reinserting the WiFi card each time the PPC is reset seems to work so I can live with that Smile

Drew

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: