Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - ADVICE FOR A NEWBIE PLEASE
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

ADVICE FOR A NEWBIE PLEASE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rkelly
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:42 pm    Post subject: ADVICE FOR A NEWBIE PLEASE Reply with quote

I have been using the Aldi/Medion gps package for some weeks now and must say how very pleased I am with it, but I have a question regarding the RoyalTec Sapphire GPS receiver. When I installed the package into my car it was recommended that the receiver be fixed to the dash just below the windscreen. This I have done and it does work perfectly, but as yet I have only used it during the winter months, overcast days, rainy days etc.
What happens during the summer months with long hot days, Laughing Out Loud, and the sun streaming through the windscreen. Will the GPS receiver overheat and become faulty? I ask this as last summer I was using a Snooper Radar detector, mounted in the same position as the receiver, which I managed to "cook" on a 2hour journey with the heat coming through the glass.
May I say how valuable this forum has been to me, reading posts from many very informed people, in making my decision to buy a GPS package.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using the Sapphire here in the Texan sun, and it does sure get hot. It did not disintegrate, but I decided to rather be cautious, and put some white stuff on top of it when I left the car for a longer while (a baseball cap, or the windshield reflector)

During the ride there shouldn't be a problem, the ventilation is cooling it down enough.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Deleth
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Just a thought, does the cold have an adverse effect?
I ask because I have had two bluetooth headsets (sony erison HB35) fail when left overnight in the car during the severe Wink winter weather before xmas here in the U.K.
Both replaced under warranty luckily
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cold as such barely has an influence on the individual components. Think supraconductivity...

The problem is with the extension/shrinking of the PCB and housing. If the temperature difference is too big, and you have too many substances with different coefficients (metals vs plastics vs fiber etc) then I could think of a scenario where you get tiny little rips in the conducting circuits. Not a problem for a dashboard or a tire but pretty important for PCBs...

Some time ago there was the discussion about keeping the GPS receiver permanently powered by the car battery. One of the positive aspects of that was that the receiver produced enough heat to maintain its own micro climate, no matter what the temperature outside. Some receivers even managed to de-ice the windshield ;-)

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleth wrote:
Just a thought, does the cold have an adverse effect?
I ask because I have had two bluetooth headsets (sony erison HB35) fail when left overnight in the car during the severe Wink winter weather before xmas here in the U.K.

It won't be a problem for GPS Receivers, I have had 2xLeadtek 9531's left in-car for the past 18 months through many a cold winter night and the icy/snow weeks we've had like the one recently, and they still perform. The specification of the GPS is designed to be stored in these temperatures and also to operate in these.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: