Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - sat nav for trucks (to avoid dodgy roads)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

sat nav for trucks (to avoid dodgy roads)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> HGV / Motorhome Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trueno86
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: sat nav for trucks (to avoid dodgy roads) Reply with quote

what is considered the best for trucks just now, are there any HGV dedicated systems yet? any PDA software made with trucks in mind ?
I used to have a garmini3 which didn't take me down too many smaller roads when set to truck, although it wasn't flawless
the tomtom one I have just now has taken me down some ridiculous country roads where there has been major roads that would have been pretty much as quick, probably quicker considering the speeds I was down to on one country road it took me down, this is all with it set to 'fastest route'
wasn't so bothered before but I've started driving artics now and although I try not to drive down roads that look dodgy sometimes it's not until you've gone too far that you find out just how tight they get!
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Mio or iGO mapping you can select Lorry mode.

e.g. If I set a route from Home to Gravesend, car mode, it routes me down a narrow lane which is National Speed Limit. Selecting Lorry mode routes me further along to a dual-carriageway (50mph limit) and then continues onto the same route as the original car Mode.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as the post above says iGO or miomap is good bet though it not flawless copilot 6 roaddpeeds can be set and laded as routing profile again its not flawless but both allow multiple waypoints and this will give you a better chance to force the routing to larher roads

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
LesAshmore
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject: Truck Navigation Reply with quote

Hi, Just seen your topic, I recently purchased a VDO Dayton P4000 TSN from Conrad anderson http://www.conrad-anderson.co.uk/satellitenavigationsystems/PN4000TSN.htm and this is designed for truckers, It lets you put your Length weight height axles etc into it and it then gives you the route avoiding any hazards, the system also has TMC which tells you of any traffic problems, Mine cost me £470 but it is worth every penny, it also lets you put your hours in etc, Brilliant.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Les has said, Truck specific systems are filtering through now. Both Navteq with 'Transport' and TeleAtlas have announced special mapping solutions that contain road widths, weights and heights for use by HGV drivers.

We were shown the VDO system at the Transport launch and there are other partners such as CoPilot who will be making the solution available on their PDA packages this year.

The only issue and one which Navteq admitted is that the coverage is nowhere near complete yet and so you have to treat all routes with caution as you may still end up on a road that does not have width,weight, height data and so you cannot be forewarned.

The nice feature is the ability to define your vehicle lengths and weight etc and so each route will take account of any limits that affect your load.
yoma
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

according to form volvo have developed a gps for hgv's but it costs around £400!
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont forget that would be inclded with dynafleet so you may not just be getting navigation

any hgv system is going to cost more

personally for now id look a the vdo pna solution the 9000 i think it is this will be upgradeable to the hgv mzp overlay as for copilot as yet were waiting to see it but i have a feeling it will be pretty good

device Lumia 950 xl
skipper1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a motorhome and got into bad trouble in Cornwall last summer using my nuvi360. Setting it on truck or bus doesnt seem to make any difference. I still end up down a narrow lane with brambles and stone walls scratching the paint work Embarassed

Is there an update or modification which will work on Garmin nuvi?
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as yet weve not heard if garmin will release any hgvoverlay for maps. as they use navteq mapping it could be possible they will do it

device Lumia 950 xl
trueno86
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad to see they've started making these now,
I don't NEED one just now because I'm doing a trunking job, might be an idea to wait a while? looks like they're still in development from some of these posts...

Quote:
The only issue and one which Navteq admitted is that the coverage is nowhere near complete yet and so you have to treat all routes with caution as you may still end up on a road that does not have width,weight, height data and so you cannot be forewarned.

is this just on certain units or are all not 100% yet?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It applies to ALL. They are effectively re-mapping all the roads and adding the missing data.
trueno86
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm, bit pricey for an unfinished product!
will be excellent when it's all done properly though
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trueno86 wrote:
hmmm, bit pricey for an unfinished product!
will be excellent when it's all done properly though

No such beast as a finished product! ALL mapping is 'work in progress'.
trueno86
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a tomtomone just now (one fo the first ones, not widescreen etc), it's fine apart from trying to send me on country/small roads because it thinks it will be quicker
will hgv maps likely work with this unit ? or any tomtom infact as i know a few drivers who use tomtoms
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a the moment no i beleive teleatlas who produce the mapping for tomtom are working on a version of navteq transport but it will be tomtom to decide whether or not to use this data

try setting the one to limited speed at 54 mph this always produced good but not prfect routing for me

there is a unit from vdo that will take the new hgv mapping

there is his unit from snooper but personally ivealways rared snooper as being over priced also the map data is not quite there yet.

i think there will be cheeper systems around very soon

device Lumia 950 xl

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> HGV / Motorhome Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: