Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom ONE v3 Announced
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom ONE v3 Announced
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!
At least two of your wishes are possibly implemented with v7 software on the new x20 models.
You can disable automatic zooming in driving view, but that might just stop it zooming in at junctions rather than let you set the zoom level yourself.

How is "map follows gps in map view" different from "Navigator view with North up"? Although in map view I'd WANT it to stay still...

If it's important to you, you can edit the names of itinerary items using an external prog on the PC. It's only a text file.

As for the card slot, on the ONE and ONE XL you can only use the internal memory OR the SD card. If there is a card in the slot, the unit will try to boot from that.
The upshot of that is you need EVERYTHING on the card - program software, map, voices etc.
Fairly limiting.....

On the recent x20 models, they have improved it so that you can boot from internal memory but still access the card for certain things (maps, mp3s etc.) but it's still not quite right.
alanji
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your reply.
How do you disable automatic zooming in driving view? As I have v7.02 I would have thought I could do this.

How is "map follows gps in map view" different from "Navigator view with North up"? Although in map view I'd WANT it to stay still...
It is really back to the zooming question. Plus, in map view, you get a scale.

If it's important to you, you can edit the names of itinerary items using an external prog on the PC. It's only a text file.
Thanks for that but it would be nice to be able to edit when no access to computer is available - eg planning a days touring while abroad - or I could buy that laptop I have been promising myself Laughing

Thanks for the info on sd card. Yes, I wanted to use the card for POI,s etc. How do you enable it on the x20. Maybe I can do it on my XL. Or I do have a 2GB card I could load the map onto but I suspect it would slow things up a bit.

The other thing I will miss (I was still using Navigator 3 but the maps were getting pretty out of date) is tha ability to set an avoid for an area. The only way I can see to do this on th XL is to use map corrections but you then have to remember to change the altered roads back. On v3 you could delete one or all avoids easily (and see the avoided areas).
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alanji wrote:
Hi Andy,

Thanks for your reply.
How do you disable automatic zooming in driving view? As I have v7.02 I would have thought I could do this.

On a 720, it's on Change preferences page 4 - "Automatic Zooming".

alanji wrote:

It is really back to the zooming question. Plus, in map view, you get a scale.

Ahh yes. True.

alanji wrote:

it would be nice to be able to edit when no access to computer is available

Quite agree...It's a good idea.

alanji wrote:

Thanks for the info on sd card. Yes, I wanted to use the card for POI,s etc. How do you enable it on the x20. Maybe I can do it on my XL.

All the models with both a slot and internal memory do the same thing when you switch on. They try to boot from the card first and only if they don't find the operating system files there do they move on and try the Flash memory.
To use the card for maps, mp3s etc you just put them on the card and the machine finds them. It doesn't seem a difficult thing to do, and I've no idea why they haven't got it going on the other models, I'm afraid.
I haven't actually found out if you can put POI categories on the card awhile the map is running from the memory. Usually the POIs go in the map folder they relate to, so I suspect it isn't possible.
alanji wrote:

Or I do have a 2GB card I could load the map onto but I suspect it would slow things up a bit.

I don't think it will.
The speed of the card probably isn't the overriding factor in how quickly it does things. Remember all the earlier models only had a card anyway...
alanji
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy

Andy_P2002 wrote:

On a 720, it's on Change preferences page 4 - "Automatic Zooming".
Not on my one XL, unfortunately. Which version are you running? Is it the same version numbers as the one XL?
Andy_P2002 wrote:

All the models with both a slot and internal memory do the same thing when you switch on. They try to boot from the card first and only if they don't find the operating system files there do they move on and try the Flash memory.
To use the card for maps, mp3s etc you just put them on the card and the machine finds them. It doesn't seem a difficult thing to do, and I've no idea why they haven't got it going on the other models, I'm afraid.
I haven't actually found out if you can put POI categories on the card awhile the map is running from the memory. Usually the POIs go in the map folder they relate to, so I suspect it isn't possible.

You are correct on the booting. But, if I insert the card after switching on it tries to reboot from the card. Obviously a difference between our models. I will try puting everything on a card but will have to await my return from hols in France (main reason I upgraded was a promise to the strife we wouldn't go abroad again without up to date maps!
Superlez
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm now the proud owner of a brand new Tom Tom One - or at least I was until earlier this evening!

No problem until I installed it into the PC to download the latest upgrades. But when I removed the Tom Tom from the USB cable, the unit is stuck on "Not Connected to Computer" mode (a picture of a computer with a flashing red cross) - and try as I might through the Tom Tom Home website, I just cannot get rid of this screen.

Heeeeeeelllllp!!!!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the underside of the device and you will find a reset hole, give this a prod with a peperclip/ pin etc and see if the device boots up correctly - Mike
Superlez
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Look at the underside of the device and you will find a reset hole, give this a prod with a peperclip/ pin etc and see if the device boots up correctly - Mike

Tried this - just cuts out and when I reboot it's just as before!

Thanks anyway!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you disconnected before it had finished doing something. Doesn't help now, but for future reference you should always use the "safely remove hardware" icon that appears in the system tray near the clock on your PC, before you pull out a USB plug.
Very often both the PC and the TomTom look as if they have finished copying or whatever, before they really have.

Also, before you even THINK of "updating" you should make a backup FIRST (using the Windows Explorer method in the FAQs HERE

I'm afraid to say your easiest solution might be to return it to the shop as "dead on arrival", as working out exactly what has got corrupted is very tricky at a distance.

Can you get the PC to recognise the TomTom as a new drive or "mass storage device"?. If so, there are some manual install files for an earlier version of the operating software, available from HERE. You could try copying those over the top of your existing ones (using Windows Explorer, not 'Home'). It might get you going enough to re-download the latest version again (which you have to do using 'Home').
Superlez
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Sounds like you disconnected before it had finished doing something. Doesn't help now, but for future reference you should always use the "safely remove hardware" icon that appears in the system tray near the clock on your PC, before you pull out a USB plug.
Very often both the PC and the TomTom look as if they have finished copying or whatever, before they really have.

Also, before you even THINK of "updating" you should make a backup FIRST (using the Windows Explorer method in the FAQs HERE

I'm afraid to say your easiest solution might be to return it to the shop as "dead on arrival", as working out exactly what has got corrupted is very tricky at a distance.

Can you get the PC to recognise the TomTom as a new drive or "mass storage device"?. If so, there are some manual install files for an earlier version of the operating software, available from HERE. You could try copying those over the top of your existing ones (using Windows Explorer, not 'Home'). It might get you going enough to re-download the latest version again (which you have to do using 'Home').

Did make a backup - and have run this. But I now realise that this is a waste of time anyway as when I held the button down in an attempt to reboot I discovered that the SD card was "Not Inserted"!

So you're dead right with one thing - it's definitely back to the shop with it!

Your reply was very informative though - I'm sorry that it was all in vain.
sixhundred
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few comments about the ONE (3rd Edition).

Help Me! - This is being touted as a great new addition to the device but I find it mildly interesting at best. The first aid guides and country guides are interesting to read for the first time and then just fairly pointless. They may as well just be files on your PC, there's no need to have them on the TomTom. To have Help Me as one of the main menu options seems misplaced.

Itinerary - It's not there! Whereas a couple of weeks ago this was a minor irritation (I just used Navigate Via), it's now a bit of a pain. There have been occasions where I want to do multipoint routes and the use of Navigate Via just isn't really up to the job. TT need to put this option back in as standard. I believe it's in the software, just hidden.

Map Share - Good idea in theory but is it actually working? It useds POI files so the device loses capacity of other POI files (unless I've got this wrong). The updates seem to be very small and there's no way of controlling the updates other than the standard options. Just what do the Map Share options mean? How can see what the updates actually are? It's not been fully thought through. Perhaps rushed out for the Xmas market?

Battery life - 2 hours only. It's not enough. Not everyone wants a power cord trailing across their dashboard for any journey of any length. It's a faff and a having a battery of say 5 hours would cover a vast majority of journeys in the UK.

What's good:
The screen, the route planning, the options, the style, the value for money, the Home software. I think it's a great no-frills GPS unit and I'm very happy with it.

The rough edges on the software take off some of the shine. The dark cloud of rebooting (which mine has done only once) is unacceptable. This is TomTom's bread and butter business and they've had more than enough time to get the software right. No excuses accepted.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi "sixhundred", I cannot do anything about the battery performance, but as you seem to have decided the Map Share and Help Me are not what you require why not run a custom menu on the device, this will return the full POI capability and the missing Itinerary functions to the device (and it works, contrary to certain "support" answers) - have a read of This thread, the custom menu part is at the end of the first post - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: