Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom ONE v3 Announced
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom ONE v3 Announced
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snudge
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've definitely decided to get a TomTom One and thought I wanted the 3rd Edition to get the latest maps. Would it be better to have the v2 and the older maps but have the itinerary planning?
I've never used a sat nav although understand what itinerary planning is but is it a 'must have' feature?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is in my opinion more useful than mapshare. The question now is if you have a 2nd Edition, would you lose these features if/when you upgrade to v7?

I would not consider the ONE 3rd Edition at the moment.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itinerary planning is definitely NOT a must-have feature
(for me).
If it was clever enough to work out an optimised route from a list of waypoints/destinations, it would be another matter. But it isn't.
In it's present incarnation, I've only used it a few times in several years, and the extra hassle involved has always made me think I might just have well just done a simple "Navigate to.." to each destination in turn.
Snudge
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
If it was clever enough to work out an optimised route from a list of waypoints/destinations, it would be another matter. But it isn't.

I thought that was exactly what it did? - by listing a series of waypoints the route was forced to link them. I've got a mate with a Rider and I thought that was what he did - so I don't understand it then? Confused

Darren -update appreciated if you get any more info as I'm still undecided about 2nd or 3rd Edition.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snudge wrote:
I thought that was exactly what it did? - by listing a series of waypoints the route was forced to link them. I've got a mate with a Rider and I thought that was what he did - so I don't understand it then? Confused

It will calculate a route between multiple points in the order YOU choose. What it won't do is take a list of points and calculate the optimum ORDER in which to visit each one.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Itinerary planning is definitely NOT a must-have feature (for me).

It's not something I use either, I think my point is that Itinerary Planning is the one feature we know has been omitted, I'm awaiting clarification on what (if any) other features have been omitted (other than those dictated by hardware of course).

TomTom are setting a precedent in taking this step, until now it was safe to assume that all features were available on all models.

Last edited by Darren on Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:41 am; edited 1 time in total
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is beginning to look a little like TomTom dictating and moving towards forcing you to use all their add ons rather than third party add ons.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Andy_P2002 wrote:
Itinerary planning is definitely NOT a must-have feature (for me).

It's not something I use either,
I have to say, I use it quite a bit.

I find it useful to 'pull a route together', rather than do one step at a time.

If it is removed in future versions it's not something I would stand and scream about, but it would be sorely missed. I would put it on a par with omitting the Avoid Area, that was included in earlier TTN versions.

In my opinion it would be a backward step. I would then have to consider, carefully, any upgrade options.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it quite handy when planning a Speed Camera Verify run, optimising the trip using AutoRoute before loading to the unit.

I rather suspect they meant to drop the "Find Alternative" icon from the menu because that is available from the status bar, if this were done they can keep the simplistic menu pages without adding an extra page - a simple mistake perhaps? - come on TT lets get on with a software update for a new unit to sort the broken menu structure, this time adding back in the missing Itinerary option, you know the code on the device will perform Itinerary functions, if not let me confirm to you that it works very well Wink - Mike
clay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im looking to purchase a TT One but not sure if i should get the v2 europe @ £149.97 or v3 GB @ £139.99, does the v2 come with two year warranty ?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want the very latest map available go for the One Third Edition, make sure you stipulate this otherwise you might be given a One V3 which is an older device, the version numbers on the One devices can lead to all sorts of confusion.
The only downside to this newer device is the messed up menu (see my earlier post) and the lack of Bluetooth, but on the other One devices the Bluetooth could only be used for a data connection via your phone, it never ofered handsfree etc. The Third edition does sport an RDS-TMC connection point for a traffic receiver, time will tell if this can actually work in the UK in a reliable manner though - Mike
Scirocco
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello folks! New to this site and only browsing to see what the opinions are on this unit. I bought one of these units today to replace my PDA and GPS units as I was getting tired of having lots of cables trailing around everywhere in the car. I have to say that I like the version 3 unit a lot. Once I deleted all the unnecessary foreign voice files it now has about 320mb available for other maps etc. If you need all the bells and whistles then spend more money but for occasional or leisure use it is ideal.
Snudge
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
If you want the very latest map available go for the One Third Edition,

I'm at the point where I would definitely like the ONE but from the comments made I think I would like to have Itinerary planning. I don't know if I want the latest maps though?
My question is - how much different are they to the previous release and are the differences noticeable?
Scirocco - let us know of any problems in use. There is another thread from new users about 3rd Edition units freezing so hopefully these are isolated cases not not a general fault.
If I don't make my mind up soon all the Edition 2s will be sold and I will have to have an Edition 3 anyway. Smile
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get at the Itinerary Planning option and it does work, but you loose a couple of the newer functions while doing this. It is easy to toggle the menu using a PC though and takes seconds. Just to prove the page can be found on the One Third Edition:

I am not too sure why you wouldn't want the latest maps though, I have found maps supplied with version 7 to be very good, with areas previously not covered showing road details etc.
Mike
Snudge
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for info Mike - well yes, ideally I would like the latest maps but I was thinking it was a case of can't have itinerary planning as well as new maps. All my paper maps are a few years old and I just used my London A-Z which was printed in 1990. I recently ended up in a Sainsbury car park while following a mate on his bike while he was using his RIDER. We got to where we wanted to go so I'm not someone who will moan at the occasional error.
Ok - I think I'm back wanting the 3rd Edition Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: