Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom ONE v3 Announced
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom ONE v3 Announced
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
franb
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marmite maybe but only 12 months warranty.

That's now off my Xmas list for sure!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin2 wrote:
I was always told that my One, which I bought about a year ago, was v3. Do I have to start calling it v2 again Confused
Robin

To be honest, I thought we were up to v4 already with the ONEs!
jaybeblue
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming the internal memory can't be upgraded. If so, I think TomTom have made a big mistake in only having 1GB of internal memory in the European version. It leaves very little room for expansion (maps will only get bigger, especially with Map Share, and there will be more more POIs). I would have thought 2GB of internal memory would have been sensible.
vf070823
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
..To be honest, I thought we were up to v4 already with the ONEs!

True but this new one isn't called a V3. Its a TomTom ONE 3RD EDITION

Darren is right, this will fit the large market that doesn't want bells & whistles and may even be put off by them.
e.g. Did you see the well heeled older generation looking at the TTOne in the likes of John Lewis just before last Xmas.
mrstella
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked up one of these yesterday after having my tomtom 910 nicked Sad

Not a bad unit obviously at a different end of the spectrum to the 910, but as a cheap solution it works well.

Memory side of things i have the UK & Ireland version which has 512meg and to be honest less than half of that is in use so plenty of space for future upgrades, poi's etc etc etc

The only problem that i have is that its constantly resetting itself during journeys so it will be taken back to PC world and replaced in the next day or so if it dont stop doing it.
Tonylondon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit I'm still confused about the benefits of v3/third edition. It seems to be a cut down version of v2 technically and offers no actual improvements, unless the v7 software is significantly improved from earlier versions?

If it was a lot cheaper then I could see the attraction, but price wise the two versions seem to be about the same if you look at online prices. Indeed, the v2 Europe is about ten pounds less than v3 Europe at satnaveasy.co.uk and pixmania.

I think I'd like the option of bluetooth even if I don't want to use it right away, so maybe v2 is better for me.

I appreciate the argument that says that this v3 version of TomTom One is a no bells and whistles device but if it's not much cheaper than v2 and technically inferior, and the software (which seems to be virtually the same except for mapshare) is going to be available on v2 then why would anyone buy v3? Has anyone had experience of both?
teecee90
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody know if there is likely to be a ONE XL v3 ??
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonylondon wrote:
If it was a lot cheaper then I could see the attraction, but price wise the two versions seem to be about the same if you look at online prices. Indeed, the v2 Europe is about ten pounds less than v3 Europe at satnaveasy.co.uk and pixmania.

The comparison will be rather pointless when stocks of the v2 are exhausted, those are discounted end of line prices.
Quote:
I appreciate the argument that says that this v3 version of TomTom One is a no bells and whistles device but if it's not much cheaper than v2 and technically inferior, and the software (which seems to be virtually the same except for mapshare) is going to be available on v2 then why would anyone buy v3?

Because it has the latest maps, latest software, and will soon be the only entry level TomTom option.

Last edited by Darren on Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Snudge
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
The comparison will be rather pointless when stocks of the v2 are exhausted, those are discounted end of line prices.

Good point but while both models are available, guys like myself who has definitely decided to buy a 'One' as my first satnav would appreciate comments from experienced users to help choose between v2 and v3.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need Bluetooth for PLUS then the v3 isn't for you, if you need handsfree then the no ONEis suitable.

You also need to take into account the cost of the latest map upgrade for the v2 when comparing with the v3.

If you think you may need the European map at a later date its cheaper to get the Euro version from the outset.

The ONE is an entry level device and aimed at users with basic requirements, if you're not one of these then either the XL or the x20's are the models in TomTom's range that you need to be considering?
Snudge
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks Darren - I think having the latest maps may be the deciding factor in choosing the v3 then.
I haven't seen anyone post the offer from Tesco but if you insure your car before 18th Sep you get a voucher for £100 discount off any TomTom from Tesco Direct. See HERE
I've just got a quote and it's cheaper than what I paid last Nov so I'm cancelling my current insurance and getting a very cheap sat nav.
Sounds like a bargain to me.
beaulieu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

V2 is going for less than 100 UKP in the USA ,

seems everyone is dumping them to get ready for the V3

So if you are [planning a visit to the USA or Canada it might be smart to buy a USA version and get the UK maps later
Hammer2006
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If version v6.75 is the latest map?? a new v2 i saw last week had that version installed.Btw im not sure on euro versions v2 maps as i only looked at a uk and ireland v2.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vf070823 wrote:
True but this new one isn't called a V3. Its a TomTom ONE 3RD EDITION.

You are quite correct, TomTom have always described this as the 3rd Edition and not the v3. I'll try and make sure I refer to it using it's correct nomenclature in future!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having spent a frustrating time trying to assist a 3rd Edition owner who couldn't locate the Itinerary Planning option I have now had it confirmed by TomTom that the 3rd Edition lacks this feature.

I'm now awaiting confirmation of what other features have been dropped but this is very bad news. It's also very concerning that this has been slipped in (or out!) surreptitiously. There is also unconfirmed reports that it will not support custom POIs.

I'll post an update when I have more news.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: