Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Do Variable Speed Limits Work?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Do Variable Speed Limits Work?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do variable speed limits work?
Yes
83%
 83%  [ 20 ]
No
16%
 16%  [ 4 ]
I haven't come across one yet
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 24

GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject: Do Variable Speed Limits Work? Reply with quote

Following experimentation on the western side of the M25, variable speed limits have been introduced in other areas too (M42).

In my experience, these variable speed limits do tend to keep the traffic flowing steadily at a lower speed instead of that frustrating stop-go flow that often seem to happen on our motorways.

Do other people feel that these variable speed limits generally achieve their aim of keeping traffic on the move?
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep I think they work to a degree, with a better motorway network they would be even better Shocked

In Holland it is easier to plan your journey on the fly, so to speak.

When you approach a motorway if you see the info boards flashing you have the choice to divert to the motorway which has the least congestion.

Obviously this doesn't work at all times, but it's good enough.

They lower the speed limit so the traffic in front has time to clear, so the theory is that there will be fewer bottlenecks.

To old to die young.
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have reluctantly put yes, as although it appears to have worked, they have also added two lanes, to free traffic as well. What is working the cameras, the lanes, peoples mentality, new cars????? Also more and more new driver join our roads each year so with the M25 you notice how quickly these measures cease to work. I pass over the M25 between M4 and M3 juntions which includes the Heathrow and Staines turnoffs, which every night on a week day are at a crawl, and always show up on my TMC.

In cunclusion I'm sure they will be adding another lane soon? Wink

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
wiz
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

classy56 wrote:
Yep I think they work to a degree, with a better motorway network they would be even better Shocked

I agree with Classy, they are at there most affective on the M25 as the rush hour builds up and as its tailing off. Smile

Mad avoid he main rush hour Mad
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted yes, generally the traffic seems more constant and not acting as "a line of braking train carriages" as other sections of the motorway, but on the M25 variable speed limit section, there still seems to be some erratic driving, where some drivers slowdown then speed up to the next sign and slow down again making the journey more stressful for the rest of us.
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted 'Yes' but they only work if EVERYBODY takes notice of them. Would probably find congestion would ease anyway, if only EVERYONE would keep to the max. 70.

But then what do I know, I'm stark raving bonkers. However, not in pDenniN's league yet. Razz
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They tend to be linked to speed cameras don't they?

...so if you don't stick to them, you get one of those nice letters in the post inviting you to part with £60 and add 3 points to your licence
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:

...so if you don't stick to them, you get one of those nice letters in the post inviting you to part with £60 and add 3 points to your licence

This is why on the M25 you get some drivers slowing down at the camera, then speeding up to the next sign and then slowing down.
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
wiz
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GJF wrote:
GPS_fan wrote:

This is why on the M25 you get some drivers slowing down at the camera, then speeding up to the next sign and then slowing down.

nightmare mid rush hour I try to avoid it if at all possible I would rather be travelling at 20 or 30 mph than keep stop starting with cars and truck lane hopping Crying or Very sad
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also voted a tentative 'Yes'. Like SPECS, though, people think they have to do 45 past the cameras if the limit is 50, and then speed up to 50 (+ a little bit sometimes) in between, and they do it in the next to outside lane. So a mug like me who is happy to do 50 all the way through finds that they have to pull out to overtake when the muppets slow down unnecessarily for a camera and then get left haning in the breeze in the outside lane when the middle lane muppets all speed up again.
wiz
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spot on Tim

I like it when i can set the cruse control to 49/50 and just watch them go past.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear, that's torn it - mine's the NO!!
My experience is mostly M42. In my opinion, some trainee nutter comes on duty in the morning, looks up at the monitors to see if there are any cars going along and if there are, he pops a limit up there to see if it works. When the cars stop going by, he turns it off. I have driven through under a 50mph restriction, with very long way ahead completely free running, not the slightest sign of queues anywhere. Then I've driven along under a 50mph restriction with everybody nose to tail across all lanes, doing less than 15mph. The only way to clear that lot up is to put stop signs up at all the entrances to give it chance to get out of the way.

Specs are a different matter - put there to slow traffic so the workers can go about their business just a fraction safer without some clown clipping their elbows etc. or swinging in through the cones at speed if there's some sudden crisis. Have you noticed those big lorries that do the coning, with a big fat thing sticking out the back? Came about as a result of one of our divisions losing a man when they used to sit at the back corners of a low trailer to pick up cones as they drove along, just the tailboard between him and anything blind moving at 70+.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmm

Perhaps the M42 is different, but as far as I know, the variable speed limit on the M25 is fully automatic - triggered by sensors in the road:

Quote:
The development of the MIDAS (Motorway Incident Detection and Automatic Signalling) system and its initial deployment on the M25 provided the basic infrastructure upon which an automatic speed control system could be built.

The M42 could well have manual intervention:

Quote:
The section is a three-lane motorway (six lanes plus full hard shoulders). This scheme will combine new technologies with well-known motorway traffic management techniques. These include mandatory variable speed limits (such as those in use on the M25), enhanced driver information signs and a new congestion and incident management system.

The system will allow operators to open and close any lane on the motorway to traffic in order to help manage congestion at busy times of the day or traffic build-up due to an incident. This will eventually include using the hard shoulder as a running lane between junctions under controlled conditions.

mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say they are a good idea, I would like to see them fitted around the busy sections of M60/ M62 - As for driving on the hard shoulder, I am not too sure about this though.
I have done this (on the M42 when the lane is open) but it doesn't feel quite right, and there is always the nagging doubt that a car will be sat stationary around the next bend, on the hard shoulder where it should be safe. - Mike
wiz
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
I have to say they are a good idea, I would like to see them fitted around the busy sections of M60/ M62 - As for driving on the hard shoulder, I am not too sure about this though.
I have done this (on the M42 when the lane is open) but it doesn't feel quite right, and there is always the nagging doubt that a car will be sat stationary around the next bend, on the hard shoulder where it should be safe. - Mike

And the danger of debris thrown onto the hard shoulder during normal use of the motorway.

This could lead to a puncture Crying or Very sad especially from the bits left after an accident or all the truck tires you see.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: