Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Road Angel Laser Alert
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Road Angel Laser Alert

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bennyk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:47 am    Post subject: Road Angel Laser Alert Reply with quote

All,
has anyone been targeted by the Plod with a laser and has the LAser Alert gone off?
I keep wondering if it actually works but have not been "gunned " since I bought it so keep wondering!!

Any feedback appreciated

B
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Benny,

I have a Bel 550 Radar Detector amongst my numerous toys. It has laser detection capability, but I’ve only had it alert me a handful (about 5) times in the last year. I’m not a Road Warrior so I don’t do 1,000s of miles a week on the motorway system; I do about the national average for mileage a year. Most of the alerts have been from ANPRs (Automatic Number Plate Readers).

To be honest, I think that laser alert is generally a waste of time and also money if you paid extra for it. This is because by the time the device has alerted you about being targeted, the laser operator has “done” your vehicle and is probably targeting his next victim. I suppose the only use laser alert is, is to let you know that you’ve probably been done, so if you were over the speed limit you will be more careful to save/stop the collection of further points.

Something more effective is to try a laser diffuser, but to be totally protected you will need one front and rear of your vehicle as the laser operators are known to target the rear of vehicles more often nowadays. If you have a large 4x4 then you might even need more than one laser diffuser at each end for full protection.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, I have the Bel Euro 550 and also a Road Angel. I always used to get notified under the Traffic Master sensors on bridges but don't with the Road Angel.

TBH Laser is pretty much useless, if you did get targetted in theory you would get a warning, but 99% of the time it's too late to do anything. I think the laser is less sensative in the Road Angel compared with the Bell Euro 550, but I used to drive a route up to a few months ago which 3 years ago saw a laser gun every other week in rush hour traffic on it, but for the past 3 years they haven't used one, so the likelihood of being targetted by lasers now I think are less likely (but it does still happen).

Just been real lucky I haven't been targetted for the past 3 years.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: