Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Should we always drive with headlights on?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Should we always drive with headlights on?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should we always drive with headlights on?
Yes
32%
 32%  [ 16 ]
No
68%
 68%  [ 34 ]
Total Votes : 50

DaveNN
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
DaveNN wrote:
Lane 3 is packed & travelling slower than me (but not a static queue), so I'm (in effect) undertaking!! Is my action 'acceptable'.
You are permitted to undertake if your lane is travelling faster than the lane outside you. You are NOT permitted to switch lanes in order to undertake.

Thanks Dennis.....I'll not feel as guilty next time!! Very Happy
ps Give my love to Keynsham...spent many a happy hour there!!! Twisted Evil
Running Cameralert via Samsung S7 Edge
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You are permitted to undertake if your lane is travelling faster than the lane outside you..
Someone may correct you if you are wrong about that DennisN Razz Slow moving, stop start traffic, comes to mind.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both almost right.

Quote:
242: Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.
DaveNN
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
Both almost right.

Quote:
242: Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.

So, if (for whatever reason) you are stuck in an 'overtaking' lane & it clogs up; you cannot move across to the adjacent lane on the left if that frees up....because you're then over/under taking....dare I suggest the UK adopt the US system??? or is that just a step too far???
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
What I really appreciate though are the idiots that do indicate from the right-hand lane whilst still passing the 200 Yards to go board before making across the entire carriageway and heading for the exit slip road, often causing excessive braking by everyone in a short space of road - lights on or not these idiots should be taken off the road for everyone else’s safety - Mike

Tommo, I think the idiots that mike refers to here are the last second bandits who suddenly remember that they need to get off at that junction. I have made a few last second manouvers myself but not at the expence of others, and if I felt it unsafe would continue to the next junction to turn around no matter how far that was. Others it would appear can't do that and would rather put lives at risk by charging accros all three lanes to exit, regardless of who might be in the way or even, wait for it. "Reversing up the hard shoulder" [New poll]

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
Both almost right.

Quote:
In what way was what I said only "almost" right?
Quote:
You are permitted to undertake if your lane is travelling faster than the lane outside you. You are NOT permitted to switch lanes in order to undertake.
DaveNN was questioning about "undertaking", so I responded with the same word. Mind you, if he spent many happy hours in Keynsham, he must be a softy pants southerner, now trying to masquerade as a northerner, but failing by choosing the wrong side. So he can't be trusted!!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
DaveNN
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Lost_Property wrote:
Both almost right.

Quote:
Quote:
DaveNN was questioning about "undertaking", so I responded with the same word. Mind you, if he spent many happy hours in Keynsham, he must be a softy pants southerner, now trying to masquerade as a northerner, but failing by choosing the wrong side. So he can't be trusted!!

Nooooo, just lived down there for a bit....about 18 yrs back.
Got wise & went back home Ooop North....
Got fed up with people asking me "Where's he too?" & putting a "L" after the word "Idea"
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveNN wrote:
Nooooo, just lived down there for a bit....about 18 yrs back.
Got wise & went back home Ooop North....
Got fed up with people asking me "Where's he too?" & putting a "L" after the word "Idea"
I came down about 35 years ago. I still get fed up with them!!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

When you said allowed to undertake, which is NOT allowed.

So we are both half right.

That's 80% me and 20% you. Razz

Quote:
DaveNN was questioning about "undertaking", so I responded with the same word.

OK then. That's 80% I'm right, 10% DaveNN's right, which makes you 90% incorrect. Wink Razz

(I'm almost afraid to come back to this post now. I may wait until Penguin brings it out in paperback).
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
If I'm driving on the motorway and there is nothing behind and I see a lone car in lane 1, I don't use my indicator. I then make sure the vehicle appears fully in my rear view mirror before I start to gently steer back to lane 1.

oh yes, I forgot to mention the bit about not using indicators when the road is deserted.

I use my door mirror to make sure that I'm clear of the vehicle and then double check that the vehicle just overtaken is fully in view in my inside mirror before moving back.

I also try to take a second look in the mirrors before moving, just in case there's a motorbike or something else that I missed the first time I looked

There are often short sighted drivers who pull out from the left though regardless of what signals other drivers may be giving and these guys usually end up in your blind spot if you're not careful Evil or Very Mad

At junctions, even if I have a passenger who gives me a 'clear left', I always double check before pulling out. Not to be spiteful, but my view is that the driver is ultimately responsible and if there was something coming it would hit their side of the car
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Highway Code wrote:

It all depends on how you interpret the text. I would suggest that the discrepancies in the speed of the vehicles in the OP would mean thay are NOT moving at similar speeds. The above rule is intended for congested roads, ie ALL CONGESTED with sporadic movements of various lanes, perhaps due to an accident or abnormal load etc. Not because the thickos who always drive in the perceived 'FAST LANE' can't move, so Mr Sensible in lane 1 or two can go sailing by. It does say 'SIMILAR SPEEDS'.

Regularly absent, but still here in spirit !
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this means that if someone is driving at 65 in the outside lane at midnight, with no other traffic on the motorway, I may not stay in lane one doing 70mph? Rolling Eyes
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It all depends on how you interpret the text. I would suggest that the discrepancies in the speed of the vehicles in the OP would mean thay are NOT moving at similar speeds. The above rule is intended for congested roads, ie ALL CONGESTED with sporadic movements of various lanes, perhaps due to an accident or abnormal load etc.

As I said earlier.

Quote:
Someone may correct you if you are wrong about that DennisN Slow moving, stop start traffic, comes to mind.

I rest my case.

Quote:
So this means that if someone is driving at 65 in the outside lane at midnight, with no other traffic on the motorway, I may not stay in lane one doing 70mph?

That's how I read 242 of the Highway Code. However, if someone is driving in lane 3 at 40 or 50, I have a memory lapse and drive slowly past in lane 1 before getting back up to 70.
pigsy1974
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Daytime running lights Reply with quote

I think rather than using headlights full time we should use daytime running lamps to make vehicles more visible. Have a look at this

http://www.tagfahrlicht.de/index_com.html
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That amounts to pretty much the same thing doesn't it??

Lights on and all that.

The only difference is that cars come with headlights fitted, whereas the suggested daylight running lights would have to be bought and self-fitted.

Judging by the number of 'energy-conscious' drivers running with only one headlight or even sidelights only even when it's completely dark, I wouldn't have thought there would be much chance of gettng motorists to fit extra lights Rolling Eyes

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 13 of 14

Jump to: