Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Should we always drive with headlights on?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Should we always drive with headlights on?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should we always drive with headlights on?
Yes
32%
 32%  [ 16 ]
No
68%
 68%  [ 34 ]
Total Votes : 50

GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveNN wrote:
I'd also suggest the use of indicators whilst performing an overtaking move on a dual carriage way/motorway

I second that - indicate to pull out and indicate to pull back in. People think I'm over the top, but you never know if there's somebody you've missed in your mirrors and indicating gives them an opportunity to tell you they're there before you move across.

I can't remember where I saw it, but I once saw somewhere that you should let your indicator flash at least 3 times before you start your manoeuvre.
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveNN wrote:
I'd also suggest the use of indicators whilst performing an overtaking move on a dual carriage way/motorway. i.e the indicator remains on until moving back into lane 1 or 2.

I third it. You are right that the French do it. If their indicator remains on, they aint finished overtaking yet. I indicate to go out and indicate to go back in too, just like GPS_fan.

DaveNN wrote:
I can't remember where I saw it, but I once saw somewhere that you should let your indicator flash at least 3 times before you start your manoeuvre.

You are right, that is why some cars have quick flick indicators, which don't stay on, but flash three times. Three times has been shown to be enough on most occasions for people to realise you are about to move or turn in your intended direction.

Regularly absent, but still here in spirit !
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evenin' officer...are you going crediting other people with my words of wisdom? Crying or Very sad

It's an easy mistake to make if you're trying to divide your message up rather than post several messages to say the same thing. I usually open a new window and have the message that I'm quoting from in one window and the message I'm copying to in another window so that I can easily switch between the two. Wink
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
Evenin' officer...are you going crediting other people with my words of wisdom? Crying or Very sad

It's an easy mistake to make if you're trying to divide your message up rather than post several messages to say the same thing. I usually open a new window and have the message that I'm quoting from in one window and the message I'm copying to in another window so that I can easily switch between the two. Wink

Apologies Andy, the second quote was indeed yours....I got confused. I had a senior moment ! (can you have them at 41 ?) Rolling Eyes

nivek22
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
I once saw somewhere that you should let your indicator flash at least 3 times before you start your manoeuvre.

How many times do you see someone change lanes and then flash their indicator a couple of times to let you know they've done it?

How many people start to indicate at the 'three bar' bar marker when exiting a motorway? I've lost count of the number of drivers that think they shouldn't indicate until after the last marker!
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nivek22 wrote:
How many people start to indicate at the 'three bar' bar marker when exiting a motorway? I've lost count of the number of drivers that think they shouldn't indicate until after the last marker!

I do, but then I would, wouldn't I !!

DaveNN
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

999tommo wrote:
DaveNN wrote:
I'd also suggest the use of indicators whilst performing an overtaking move on a dual carriage way/motorway. i.e the indicator remains on until moving back into lane 1 or 2.

I third it. You are right that the French do it. If their indicator remains on, they aint finished overtaking yet. I indicate to go out and indicate to go back in too, just like GPS_fan.

DaveNN wrote:

You are right, that is why some cars have quick flick indicators, which don't stay on, but flash three times. Three times has been shown to be enough on most occasions for people to realise you are about to move or turn in your intended direction.

My Vectra has two modes of indication (4 if you include left & right Very Happy )
The first is a few flashes (for overtaking, for instance). The other is the constant on. Truth be told, it's a pain...especially if you're a bit heavy handed, with the indicators going from right/left/right etc.. A colleague of mine has had the opposite of problems where he has nearly been taken from behind (oh err missus), when slowing (or stopped) to perform a left/right turn- as his indicator has cancelled, prior to the manouvre.
Some clown hadn't spotted that he was gaining on his car...the indicators would've helped (you would think).
Running Cameralert via Samsung S7 Edge
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If someone's leaving the motorway from lane 1, what difference does it make whether they indicate at 100, 200 or 300 yard maker, what difference does it make if they don't indicate at all?

When I see a car coming down the slip road on to the motorway, I don't care whether they indicate or not. HELLO, they will come into at least lane 1. Unless coming off the M25 onto the A2 coastbound, in which case it's straight out into lane 3. Evil or Very Mad

What about the clowns who, when approaching a roundabout to take 2nd exit (straight on), they indicate left, then right then left.

I always use my indicators when necessary, that is when there are other vehicles or pedestrians about. There is nothing worse than someone who indicates when there is nothing else about. Did they really check their mirrors or is indicator use just a bad habit?
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
If someone's leaving the motorway from lane 1, what difference does it make whether they indicate at 100, 200 or 300 yard maker, what difference does it make if they don't indicate at all?

Indicating would suggest you may brake shortly. Therefore by seeing the indicator, the person behind can anticipate brake action and therefore his/her reaction time to it would be reduced.

DaveNN
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

999tommo wrote:
nivek22 wrote:

I do, but then I would, wouldn't I !!

Gents,
Just what is the 'rule' for using indicators??
I'm sure that I was told that using them 'regardless' is suggesting that you are not really aware of the road/pavement users around you.
Another tells you to use them each time/every time...effectively 'just in case'.
The Mrs is constantly whinging at me for not indicating when exiting a roundabout, even though the only other road user is way behind me.
Then again, she can't drive!!!!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I really appreciate though are the idiots that do indicate from the right-hand lane whilst still passing the 200 Yards to go board before making across the entire carriageway and heading for the exit slip road, often causing excessive braking by everyone in a short space of road - lights on or not these idiots should be taken off the road for everyone else’s safety - Mike
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveNN wrote:

The 'RULE' although unwritten, is only use an indicator when another road user (including pedestrians) will benefit from your signal.

Using them just 'because' suggests you are not using your mirrors and therefore not aware of what is around you. Not using them at all could be considered careless or even dangerous.

mikealder wrote:
What I really appreciate though are the idiots that do indicate from the right-hand lane whilst still passing the 200 Yards to go board before making across the entire carriageway and heading for the exit slip road

Well I have to disagree in part. As an advanced driver I have been taught to make 'maximum safe progress' and as such, on blue light runs, I do overtake on the approach to slips that I am turning off at. My indicator still goes on no later than the 300 yard marker and I wouldn't overtake if another road user would have to brake or take evasive action. Bearing in mind, I am probably doing 30-40 mph more than the other motorists at the time. I do agree however that to do such a thing at the expense of another road user's safety is clearly dangerous.

Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

999Tommo wrote

Indicating would suggest you may brake shortly. Therefore by seeing the indicator, the person behind can anticipate brake action and therefore his/her reaction time to it would be reduced.

I use the exit road as a deceleration lane and the entrance ramp as an acceleration lane to get close to the speed of other road users.

Having said that, I usually get into lane 1 and start reducing my speed from 70 down to 60 from the mile marker. Under normal conditions I know I will get to the exit in about 1 minute, so what's the rush. If someone then comes up behind me at 70mph they should know they need a minimum 105 yards between them and me and should have started their manoeuvre to overtake at least 100 yards or so before that.

If I'm driving on the motorway and there is nothing behind and I see a lone car in lane 1, I don't use my indicator. I then make sure the vehicle appears fully in my rear view mirror before I start to gently steer back to lane 1.

Quote:
What I really appreciate though are the idiots that do indicate from the right-hand lane whilst still passing the 200 Yards to go board before making across the entire carriageway and heading for the exit slip road, often causing excessive braking by everyone in a short space of road - lights on or not these idiots should be taken off the road for everyone else’s safety
Hear, hear. Very Happy
DaveNN
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

999tommo wrote:
DaveNN wrote:

The 'RULE' although unwritten, is only use an indicator when another road user (including pedestrians) will benefit from your signal.

Using them just 'because' suggests you are not using your mirrors and therefore not aware of what is around you. Not using them at all could be considered careless or even dangerous.

mikealder wrote:
What I really appreciate though are the idiots that do indicate from the right-hand lane whilst still passing the 200 Yards to go board before making across the entire carriageway and heading for the exit slip road

Well I have to disagree in part. As an advanced driver I have been taught to make 'maximum safe progress' and as such, on blue light runs, I do overtake on the approach to slips that I am turning off at. My indicator still goes on no later than the 300 yard marker and I wouldn't overtake if another road user would have to brake or take evasive action. Bearing in mind, I am probably doing 30-40 mph more than the other motorists at the time. I do agree however that to do such a thing at the expense of another road user's safety is clearly dangerous.

Thanks Tommo
(What's great about this forum is how topics morf & are generally allowed to do so...how annoying would it be to get an Off Topic in normal conversation..) Next Question...Let's imagine I'm at Junction 15/16 Northbound on the M6 at rush hour (between 12noon & 8pm!). I'm pootling along at 69mph in lane 2 (lane 1 is full of wagons doing 56mph). Lane 3 is packed & travelling slower than me (but not a static queue), so I'm (in effect) undertaking!! Is my action 'acceptable'...or do I slow up to match the speed of vehicles in lane 3? (let's ignore the fact that that lane 3 {& 2} are for overtaking etc etc ). I've chosen this part of the M6, as it's notorious for lane 3 being packed & lane 2 being (relatively) clear.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveNN wrote:
Lane 3 is packed & travelling slower than me (but not a static queue), so I'm (in effect) undertaking!! Is my action 'acceptable'.
You are permitted to undertake if your lane is travelling faster than the lane outside you. You are NOT permitted to switch lanes in order to undertake.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 12 of 14

Jump to: