Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Should we always drive with headlights on?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Should we always drive with headlights on?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should we always drive with headlights on?
Yes
32%
 32%  [ 16 ]
No
68%
 68%  [ 34 ]
Total Votes : 50

GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Should we always drive with headlights on? Reply with quote

About this time last year, somebody was playing with the idea of making Brits drive with their headlights on, day and night, whatever the weather - just like other countries such as Scandinavia.

At first, I was totally against this idea thinking that it was just another do-gooder trying to make a name for himself. However, after giving it some thought and adding a few more miles to the clock, I actually think that this might not be a bad idea after all.

There are occasions when driving along even the straightest of roads you can't necessarily see oncoming traffic because of sun/shade conditions, driving under trees and so on. Then, there's the twilight zone at dawn and dusk, when some drivers don't put their lights on until it's completely dark.

...not to mention those drivers who fail to turn their lights on in even the worst weather conditions.

Could driving with headlights always on make roads safer?

What do you guys think?

Please vote.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, they shouldn't be made compulsory. Furthermore, the compulsory use of them on motorcycles should be abolished. Modern motorbikes don't even have an On/Off switch. More policing to ensure the correct use of lighting (including prosecution for the incorrect use of foglights) should be enacted. Yet another example of dumbing down, in my opinion.
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Difference of opinion here, I think that it should be compulsory, for the same reasons as GPS_fan explained.

My only worry is the prats who insist that full headlights are the norm', even in daylight they can be blinding.
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's dumbing anything down.

If you're driving down a road and you're in sunlight, but another part of the road is in shade, you simply may not see what is coming the other way. Even if you know the road and are aware of the safest place to overtake, some drivers are still tempted to take a gamble and pull out.

When the sun is either in your eyes or in your mirrors, can you see what other traffic is around you?

There are instances where the headlight on a motorbike means the difference between seeing or nor seeing them - but there may be other times when it makes no difference.

If I'd said "Should cyclists be forced to use lights at night?", then I'm sure the response would have been quite different
nivek22
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm against having lights on all the time.

When you're driving behind a vehicle with its lights on in good visibility, you don't notice the brake lights as quickly.

And don't get me on about fog lights! Their inappropriate use must cause a lot more accidents than they save.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate the inappropriate use of fog lights to - but the question was about the use of HEADLIGHTS...short of having fog sensors, there's not a lot you can do for those people.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
I hate the inappropriate use of fog lights to - but the question was about the use of HEADLIGHTS...short of having fog sensors, there's not a lot you can do for those people.

Like I said, better policing would do it. I know the question was about headlights, but I was on a roll. And if you can't see what's coming, slow down and drive to the conditions! Rolling Eyes
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:
if you can't see what's coming, slow down and drive to the conditions! Rolling Eyes

You may be a sensible driver/rider and do this, I might be a sensible driver and do this - but some people can't see beyond their front bumper and expect everybody else to take evasive action
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no it should not be made compulsory for as currently a veihcle with lichts on during the day is taken more notice of by other drivers. this is something i do in built up areas to make the truck more visible you wouldnt beleive than amount of people that dont see it. also with in a few months you would be back to square one as everyone would not see a car or truck as they did when the lights first came within a few weeks

it would just be a pointless excersie

on a side note why do people feel the need to use there main beam on motorway at night Rolling Eyes Question

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alix776 wrote:
on a side note why do people feel the need to use there main beam on motorway at night Rolling Eyes Question

I feel that the problem isn't so much just people using main beam, but there seems to be an increasing trend of people failing to dip their headlights for oncoming traffic...from motorways to the smallest roads, the problem's the same
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
You may be a sensible driver/rider and do this, I might be a sensible driver and do this - but some people can't see beyond their front bumper and expect everybody else to take evasive action

So you want to bring us all down to the level of the lowest common denominator. Whereas I want that denominator's level to either be raised or removed via effective policing and training.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alix776 wrote:

What, do you mean those big rigs with about eight big lights fixed to the roof? Laughing
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am against day time headlights for cars although my reason is rather odd. I ride a motorcycle and I always ride with lights on. If every other vehicle on the road has lights on then people are less likely to spot a motorcyclist who is likely to be moving faster than the normal traffic flow and going through gaps where you wouldn't expect a car to fit.

I think new cars should be required to have automatic headlights. The number of times I see people who forget to switch their lights on in borderline conditions is a real worry. You have to wonder how many crashes would be prevented. However, automatic headlights would cost money for manufacturers to do so they would be likely to support compulsary lights on because they can do away with wiring and switchgear, thus saving money.

I agree with GJF that idiots (including bikes) who drive with lights on full beam should be prosecuted. It's a real pain.

Tim, I don't think daytime lights on bike are compulsary are they? It's just that the makers decided that since most people ride with them on anyway that they could lower costs and improve safety and reliability by doing away with the switchgear....
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
Tim, I don't think daytime lights on bike are compulsary are they? It's just that the makers decided that since most people ride with them on anyway that they could lower costs and improve safety and reliability by doing away with the switchgear....

Ah, OK. I thought it was one of those marvelous EU directives.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
About this time last year, somebody was playing with the idea of making Brits drive with their headlights on, day and night, whatever the weather - just like other countries such as Scandinavia.
If it has been proved that accident rates have fallen in these countries it may be a good idea to have a trial run here.

Having said that I'm not sure I like the idea, because the bus company in North Kent adopted the idea of dipped lights at all times and it's a pain in the neck when you are being followed by one. I feel it distracting and usually dip my interior mirror until I've got well ahead or they have turned off. Imagine a higher vehicle than your own e.g. four wheel drive following and filling your rear view mirror with their lights, would you see the car which was overtaking him? Maybe not, because his lights would cause your pupils to contract and let less light in.

Auto headlights are a good idea, many Peugeot and Citroens have them as standard or can be added as an extra. Overall they work very well, as do auto wipers. What happened to 'dim dipped' lights? But really it's down to us, the driver, how we behave and drive according to the prevailing conditions.

The poll is about 50-50 at present, it would be interesting to see the different voting pattern between male and female, different age groups and length of time driving.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 1 of 14

Jump to: