Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Metropoloitan Police traffic fines exceed £300,000
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Metropoloitan Police traffic fines exceed £300,000
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject: Metropoloitan Police traffic fines exceed £300,000 Reply with quote

Quote:
Metropolitan Police has been fined £325,563 for traffic offences this financial year.

New budget documents showed the figure was a third higher than the money paid out the previous year.

The fines were mostly for parking illegally; speeding; ignoring bus lanes; driving the wrong way on a one-way street; and red route offences.

Vehicles responding to emergencies or on operations were exempted from fines, a police spokeswoman said.

The full artcle may be found here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/6942887.stm
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the following quote:
Quote:
The fines were mostly for parking illegally; ignoring bus lanes; driving the wrong way on a one-way street; and red route offences.

If the police who live in the area, can't understand a No Entry sign,
why do they make such a fuss when an "outsider" makes a mistake.

Besides that, some of the figure of £325,563 looks as if it includes police offences when not on duty, so shouldn't be included and passed on to the individual involved, as offences on operations were clearly not charged to the police,
Quote:
A spokesman for London Councils said police drivers on operation were already exempt from fines but those who flout the rules in normal circumstances would be subject "to the rules of the road like anyone else".

I wonder if the police have relayed the charge and fine to the officer involved, or do we as tax-payers have to foot the bill?

If they have re-addressed the charge/fine, Is this set of figures before or after that?

Also
Quote:
Transport for London (TfL) said: "Should a charge notice have been issued whilst the vehicle was being used for operational duties the Metropolitan Police Service can ask for the charge notice to be cancelled."

Has this been done, or again, is it a case of office lazyness within the police force has left this down to the tax-payer to pay?
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mean to sound anti-police, but this kind of thing really bugs me.

I have a dropped kerb at home and converted my front garden into a concrete lawn for parking. In the words of the county council Highways Department "It is an offence to block a vehicular access, whether marked or unmarked", but despite white markings in the road people continue to park and I have been abused and even threatened when asking people to move their cars...

...and guess what - the police aren't even interested

...but when it comes to motoring offences, there seems to be no holding them back

Having spoken to the council, they extended the white markings on the road but I've been accused of painting the lines myself and I was half expecting this moron to lump me one when I pointed out that he couldn't park his car where he'd left it.

The problem is that if I don't persist in asking people to move their cars then my own car is stranded on my driveway...but what else can you do when various other parties couldn't give a monkeys.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a rather odd story, I really don't know what their point is.

It doesn't say how much of this amount was paid and how much was cancelled. I'd be willing to bet that the police force paid none of the fines and that they were either cancelled or the driver responsible paid the fine because he had no legitimate reason to infringe the law.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those white lines are only advisory, so neither you, nor the police, nor the council can enforce them (that includes white Disabled markings too). The only thing the police can do is come to "deal" with a potential or actual breach of the peace (or whatever it's called).

You could solve it in one of three ways.

1. Buy an old banger to keep alongside your decent motor and use it to "scrape" past anything parking there. I once had an ancient mini estate which cured my neighbour of parking across my garage entrance.
2. Buy a large something (Monster Truck or steam roller?) and put up a sign saying "Go ahead, make my day - park across my entrance".
3. "Borrow" a few cones from your nearest roadworks and place them appropriately.

Or learn to live with it. I live less than 200 yards from the school entrance and term time is "difficult". I simply cannot believe how someone can park across my entrance and swan off to deliver/collect Jimmy to/from school, leaving me blocked in (or out) for the absolute age it seems to take. A cheery "Sorry" as they amble up, crawl in and drive off does NOTHING to calm me down. Evil or Very Mad

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
I don't mean to sound anti-police, but this kind of thing really bugs me.

I have a dropped kerb at home and converted my front garden into a concrete lawn for parking. In the words of the county council Highways Department "It is an offence to block a vehicular access, whether marked or unmarked", but despite white markings in the road people continue to park and I have been abused and even threatened when asking people to move their cars...

...and guess what - the police aren't even interested

...but when it comes to motoring offences, there seems to be no holding them back

Having spoken to the council, they extended the white markings on the road but I've been accused of painting the lines myself and I was half expecting this moron to lump me one when I pointed out that he couldn't park his car where he'd left it.

The problem is that if I don't persist in asking people to move their cars then my own car is stranded on my driveway...but what else can you do when various other parties couldn't give a monkeys.

I had exactly the same problem at my last house, the main offender turned out to be Mr Plod from up the street having no where else to park, i confronted him parking one night and not knowing who he was gave him a "good mouthfull" of what he could do with his car, he accepted it with little arguement and later turned out to be a very friendly neighbour.

He did point out that although it wasn't an offence to park on the white lines, it was an offence to block the access it was intended, i was told that if i had any problems i was to phone the police and report that i was blocked in, giving the registeration number, but i never found that i had to resort to this.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Those white lines are only advisory

Not when they are keeping access clear - it is an offence to park and block people's access...I've checked this with both the council and the police
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
it is an offence to park and block people's access
Correct, that's the offence, not the parking on advisory white lines - Highway Code para 217 - "DO NOT park .... in front of an entrance to a property".

Sneaky whitevanman has a 2001 edition Highway Code!

GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...parents dropping kids off at school isn't so much of a problem, but when people dump their car and disappear off to do a shift for 8-10 hours or so it's more than slightly annoying.

Part of our problem is that where I live, it's quicker to walk to the local A**A than it is to drive and so we had their people parking for hours at a time...

...a group of neighbours and I approached the supermarket and the problem suddenly got worse as they retaliated - but revenge is sweet and we devised a scheme.

One evening, we handed flyers to A**A employees as they left their cars reading "I'm working a shift at A**A and won't be back for several hours, so help yourself to the contents of my car" and telling them that they'd better take one now to save us having to put one on their car...needless to say, the problem resolved itself.

Reporting number plates to the police is never any good because they're always "too busy" to do anything, so we decided to have a little fun instead of letting it get to us
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...we didn't actually put any of these things on anybody's car - but the thought that we might actually do it and the knowledge that we knew which cars to 'target' was obviously enough to do the trick Laughing
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard somewhere that should you be block in and have a need to leave your drive you can call the police who then must act. However the same won't apply when you return.

Next time you call the police you can inform them that you need to get somewhere and cannot leave.

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting a 4x4 and dragging the offending car across the road would be more fun and that WOULD guarantee action from our friends in blue Laughing
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next time you call Superman and inform him that you need to get somewhere and cannot leave. Twisted Evil

Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A nice polite notice like "Please don't block my driveway as a dent in your car often offends" should do the trick. Twisted Evil
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i first had my dropped drive installed, the Council refused to add white lines in front, drivers didn't take any notice and parked in front of the drive, regardless of whether i was parked in it.

Although this following story was a long time ago and (I must add I have now quietened with age) really I shouldn't admit it, I will get some flack but here goes -

There is nothing like pushing the offending car down the road (gently) with your bumper, i even managed to to this with the car parallel by taking it at different angles.

You will be surprised as to how easy a car will move with the handbrake on, this was even more fun when the steering lock sent the car into the road at an odd angle - where i used to leave it.

I remember one car where the brakes weren't much good and the car kept going.
Also I remember one lady who came back to the car and i had moved it at least two houses away down the road and she didn't even notice.
Others used to stand there scratching there heads but weren’t sure exactly where they left the car.

I used to do this mostly in the evening as i lived next door to a pub it was great fun on a winters night, better than watching the tv.

Note for 999tomtom, i now behave myself and am too old for this any more, so have now changed.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: