Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 720 - How many have you had?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 720 - How many have you had?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mpwilson99
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: TomTom 720 - How many have you had? Reply with quote

Hi All,

Well today ended 9 days of having in my possession a TomTom 720 unit, but if only it was the same one!

In the last 9 days, ive encounted multiple problems with these units, each time its generally been a different main fault which promted me to take it back as i couldnt live with it. The girls at currys have been very impressed and even giggled at some of the noises one was making!

I was just a bit curious, but how many others of you out there have also taken them back and how many units you have had?

For me, it looks like my trusty Tomtom 700 again takes up prime spot on the windscreen as from tomorrow! ~ until the 920 comes out??

Cheers
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not a single problem sound is fine display works great connect to a very old Motorola v600 got music on a sd card speed cameras work great .... absolutely no problems yet in 6 days I've had mine
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 720 should never have been released to the public due to the amount of hardware and software faults.

As usual there is no announcement from TomTom admitting they got it wrong! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Outlander
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have had no real problems as yet. MP3s work very well transmitted to the radio, also speed cams work fine. It appears to be the best screen for direct sunlight I have seen on a tom tom. Over all I’m very happy with the unit. I’m also sure there are plenty of software glitches which I expect sooner or later will come to light but as yet have had no real problems.

My gripes are that Tom Tom home sucks, I should not have to remove the power cord once I have removed unit from the cheap window sucker though up to now it has remained on the windscreen. It does appear to be a little hit and miss connecting with my Nokia N95 for Plus services though I think this may be more of a service provider problem and not tom tom, we will see.

I hope you finally have a unit that works. Sound as if your Currys store had a very bad batch.
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm now on my third unit, what is really annoying me now is after having all these problems I have to prove that I own the unit to allow the plus services to run.
bogsnottle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm now on my second unit, the first suffering from the buzzing hands-free problem. So far so good on this one though..
mrlownotes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first has gone back. Now waiting for my second one. I won't bother with listing all problems. They've all been covered elsewhere on the forum.
retrospek
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm now on my second unit...
sneeks
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first unit has now been returned but I'm awaiting Comet approving the refund/exchange Rolling Eyes

EDIT:

Comet have approved my exchange and I've decided to swap to the One XL instead.
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my 2nd 720 this afternoon. This time from my local Argos.

My 1st had the buzzing handsfree microphone.
The handsfree works perfectly on this one I am happy to say. Very Happy

Still has the other minor irritations that people have reported, and I am hoping they are all software bugs.

1. Battery went flat after playing for an hour with FM and Bluetooth enabled.

2. Recording own voices can lock up the 720 or not record at all. Have to reboot the 720 to get working again.

3. I have the speaker rattle and screen flicker at full volume on battery power.
The audio is fine on external power although the screen still flickers a bit.
At 95% volume it is much better.
I think the problem is the computer voices, such as Kate, are too loud, but for me it's not a big problem as I don't need 100% volume in my car.

I will keep this unit and see how it goes.
Lore
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sending my first one back (unusable handsfree, metronome on voice recording) tomorrow. Fingers crossed for the new one; although for the first time ever I'm regretting buying a piece of electonics online instead of in a store.

Going back to my Nuvi 360 for the time being; the one plus point is that it's made me realise the map display on the 720 is significantly superior. Before this I was toying with abandoning the Tomtom altogether and waiting to see what Garmin come up with in response.
wulls
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am on my second one from PC World returned the first because of the hands free buzzing problem (the person receiving the call can't hear you because of the noise) second one exactly the same looks like another trip to PC World.

This is my first TomTom my last two were Garmins no problems straight out of the box, maybe I should have stuck to Garmin!

Just a thought could the buzzing be caused by the phone? or the Bluetooth implementation, I am using a SE P990i which connects no problem. I do not have this noise when I connect the P990 to my Parrot hands free. Any suggestions ?
orainsear
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a unit with the hands free buzzing problem - it's going back. Pretty poor show by TomTom - this is my first TomTom unit and I'm not impressed. How have these units managed to get past a quality control check?
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My replacement has a QC Pass sticker on the Charging base unit, and don't think my last one had it.

There's nothing on the 720 to say it's been checked, but current one works fine.

I would guess some components are missing or wrong value on the ones that have the buzzing problem.

Made in China, so I guess they were cutting costs to ship the first batch on time. Rolling Eyes
mpwilson99
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teknic wrote:
Made in China, so I guess they were cutting costs to ship the first batch on time.

On time? - If i remember correctly the release date was supposed to have been about 06/07/07.
At least if any of you were following the dates on the currys and pcworld websites it started of at that date when the units would be in the shops but then it went back a week and so on and so on....

Cheers

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: