Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - x20 Wishlist, Quirks & Bugs
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

x20 Wishlist, Quirks & Bugs
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: x20 Wishlist, Quirks & Bugs Reply with quote

I have to say I'm now reasonably happy with my 720, and thoughht it would be interesting to hear peoples ideas & feature they have found so far.

I wasn't holding out a lot of hope for the FM transmitter, but it works well, two things that would be nice are:

1. To be able to have a different volume setting for the FM transmitter than the internal speaker. O have to have FM volume 85-90 which is far too loud for internal speaker.
2. Probably not technically possible, but it would be nice to transmit an RDS channel name. This could then either just show the channel name as "TomTom 720" or a more advanced trip information such as the arrival time, ETA, road name, distance remaining.

Quirks found so far:
1. Speech recognition, duplicates the house numbers when entering an address, this has already been discussed.
2. When travelling, and an announcement is made, if the volume is set lower than the default, the first few words are announced very loud, and then the remainder defaults to the level you've set. Its as if its forgot that you have changed the volume, and half way through announcing the next instruction realises and corrects itself.
3. POI Warining, when setting the warning sound for POI using OGG files, if you set a number of POI, and then try to set one that does not have an OGG file, its gets a little confused. The next POI that has an OGG file it insists on asking you to select a sound and refused to use the OGG file.

Last edited by SpeedCam on Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phone Audio via the FM Mount or Line Connector or HiFi Bluetooth device - selectable and working the phone is currently only available via the built in speaker - not too good IMHO - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: x20 Wishlist, Quirks & Bugs Reply with quote

SpeedCam wrote:
1. To be able to have a different volume setting for the FM transmitter than the internal speaker. O have to have FM volume 85-90 which is far too loud for internal speaker.
I wonder what you are looking for with this? I have my 720 volume set to 100% - Blast me out of my dreamland! But I have my FM radio volume turned down to less than super Blast. The effect is that I get decent volume for hands free phone via the Internal speaker and decent (different) volume for instructions etc via the FM radio. I would assume I could just as easily have the internal speaker on soft and turn my radio volume up to Blast. Am I getting hold of the wrong end of the stick?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: x20 Wishlist, Quirks & Bugs Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
SpeedCam wrote:
I wonder what you are looking for with this? I have my 720 volume set to 100% - Blast me out of my dreamland! But I have my FM radio volume turned down to less than super Blast. The effect is that I get decent volume for hands free phone via the Internal speaker and decent (different) volume for instructions etc via the FM radio. I would assume I could just as easily have the internal speaker on soft and turn my radio volume up to Blast. Am I getting hold of the wrong end of the stick?

I suspect that the volume of the FM transmitter is different depending on the cars audio system, in my car the FM volume is very low, so I have to have both the radio & TomTom setting very load. It works well, but if you forget to adjust the volumes when switching back from the FM transmitter to the internal speaker the volumes are far too load, both the internal speaker and radio.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fortunate that my Renault van has a remote control for the radio, on a stick just mms away from my fingers on the wheel - I can instantly mute or very quickly change volume by moving a finger tip.

bogsnottle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found that the computer voice is hard to silence. Not always needing spoken directions I like to be able to have the audio alerts for speed cameras etc without the voice, however selecting "Disable Voice" doesn't seem to be too effective. The only way I have found to keep "her" quiet is to change the voice to a non-computer version. Not sure if this is a bug or just me missing something but I've had the same problem with both 720's that I've had.
PaulBt
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs:

1. High Streets have the added "Colliers" announced after them.
2. Audio books from the recommended Audible do not work (the 720 is not recognised), my support request to TomTom has gone to "second line support".
3. Computer voices are deactivated when an SD card is inserted.
4. My handfree with a SE600i is very intermittent (only works at home, and never in the car), it connects the call but no sound.

Cheers
Paul
pete1336
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulBt wrote:
Bugs:
Cheers
Paul

So that's what causes that eh? It's happened to me several times and until reading your post I couldn't identify what was causing it. It's dammed annoying isn't it, here's to looking forward to the first firmware release.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulBt wrote:
Bugs:

Cheers
Paul

I haven't noticed this. TTS works fine with an SD card inserted, as does map swapping when one map is on the device and the other on the SD card.
PaulBt
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:
TTS works fine with an SD card inserted

I've found that the TTS voice is lost when the card is inserted, and has to be reselected.
gromit62
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try copying the "Loquendo TTS" folder to the SD card, then it should work
Skwark
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone got their's to read SMS messages?

I got one on my travels, TT520 kindly stated I had received a message and "would you like me to read it aloud?". Daft thing is it just sat there (didn't switch to voice input to confirm). So I tapped the SMS icon THEN came up the voice recognition screen, which then just went off back to the navigation view. So I tapped the SMS again and it displayed the text this time - with three buttons "options", "read loud" and "delete" i think.

Kept bashing the "read aloud" button and it kept schtum! So after deciding attention was best placed elsewhere at the time, i gave up.

PS. Shouldn't this thread by a sticky....??
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skwark wrote:
Kept bashing the "read aloud" button and it kept schtum! So after deciding attention was best placed elsewhere at the time, i gave up.
Daft question - have you enabled Voice Preferences .. Read Aloud Messages? It asked me if I wanted it read aloud (even though I never do want it and have therefore ensured that Read Aloud Messages is not enabled, even though I do have Komputer Kate selected).

Skwark
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Daft question - have you enabled Voice Preferences .. Read Aloud Messages? It asked me if I wanted it read aloud (even though I never do want it and have therefore ensured that Read Aloud Messages is not enabled, even though I do have Komputer Kate selected).

Nope it wasn't ticked - it is now - so will try it again when I have time.

Obviously they should bring up a prompt or something to say "read aloud messages is disabled, do you want to enable it?" like they do with the leeway option after cancelling it a few times. Just sitting there doing nothing isn't very user friendly is it? In fact it shouldn't have even asked me verbally to read it aloud in the first place if the option was disabled! Stupid TomBot
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot disagree with a single thing you've said. So when you find a manual which actually says something useful (like how to DO speech recognition navigation instructions - not just "answer the questions"), please repay me by telling me where it is.

Do please come back and let us all know whether my "tip" was the solution - all successes will benefit somebody else too.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: