Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - All together - LOST_PROPRTY is stupid!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

All together - LOST_PROPRTY is stupid!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: All together - LOST_PROPRTY is stupid! Reply with quote

I was all prepared to go on an 'unknown' journey today and pre-set my destination and made sure all sats were locked and switched off. So far so good. Smile

Went outside towards the car and noticed my Mio P350 screen was a bit grubby, so went back to get a quick squirt of Windolene. Wiped off with a kitchen towel and it was all shiny and new looking. Very Happy

Set up in car tapped on the iGO icon and nothing. Confused Tried again, nothing. Confused Confused Tapped on Start, Calendar, Contacts etc., nothing. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Notice there is liquid inside the touch screen. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Aaaarrrggghhhhh!!! It soft re-sets and I get the main screen but can get no further. Evil or Very Mad

Remarks e.g. Stupid, what a clown, useless fool, what an idiot etc, gratefully received.

So now do I wait for it to dry out naturally, stick it in the microwave or oven, or rip it apart and suck it dry with a Vax?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you remove the back and the battery on these devices as this is the first important thing to do - then wipe out any moisture that might be on the inside (don't go any further than battery removal though) and place it somewhere warm and dry - not too hot and don't blast it with heat from the hair drier - leave it alone to dry out (at least overnight or longer if possible) then try it again.

You most certainly DO NOT want to put the unit in the microwave - not only will that destroy the P350 but it will damage your oven as well. Ever tried a plate with Gold edges in a micro? - very spectacular results, but the same occurring on a PCB will very quickly destroy it and the PDA - Mike
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You most certainly DO NOT want to put the unit in the microwave - not only will that destroy the P350 but it will damage your oven as well. Ever tried a plate with Gold edges in a micro? - very spectacular results, but the same occurring on a PCB will very quickly destroy it and the PDA - Mike
Only joking Mike, I was in one of my 'stupid' modes today, hence the 'unwell' Mio P350.

I haven't tried a plate with a gold rim but when I was a Domestic Appliance Service Enginner, I used to repair Microwave ovens. I've seen what can happen when someone has left a metal spoon inside. Magnetron R.I.P.

Originally we had to discharge the capacitor by shorting two insulated screwdrivers across the terminals, never failed to make me jump. Bleed resistors and diodes were introduced to cause a trickle discharge. One of our engineers noticed the appliance he was about to work on had one of the above and started working on it, only to find himself flat on the floor across the kitchen, 3000 - 5000v if I remember rightly. We immediately reverted back to two screwdrivers.

Another time a trainee wired the capacitor up wrong and we heard a load buzzing and a bang, not much left of the capacitor except for the metal casing a couple of coils of paper.

But back to my problem. I managed to get the battery out, who thought of holding it in with double sided sticky tape? I undid the other four screws hoping the board etc might drop slightly to give better ventilation but it didn't and I don't want to force it.

I'll do as you suggest and leave the battery compartment open with the battery out and check tomorrow.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing this. I don't know if I would have been tempted before (possibly with a drop of computer screen cleaner, who knows), but I certainly won't now. Best wishes for it to return from the dead. (fingers crossed Emoticon - I haven't got one, but I would if I did).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read an artical in the latest copy of pc format were they cleaned a pc key board in a dish washer. Their suggestion for drying is to place the device in a warm area like an airing cuboard for a week! Also consider a sunlit window sill as long as it doesn't get too hot. Do not use any fast dry methods eg hairdrier. And finally, and this is the clincher.
DO NOT be tempted to use it for the duration.

Mike's right, keep the battery out of it as this could kill it.

Similar situation, was my boss took his year+ old nokia 8800 (£500) phone with him while he helped his daughter sort out a water leak in her apartment. Short ending - busted phone! Sad

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thanks for sharing this. I don't know if I would have been tempted before (possibly with a drop of computer screen cleaner, who knows), but I certainly won't now. Best wishes for it to return from the dead. (fingers crossed Emoticon - I haven't got one, but I would if I did).

I think it would have been better if I had put a small amount on a kitchen towel rather than spraying the screen.

The liquid obviously got between the casing and the screen. At first I could see the moisture just under the touch screen and it covered roughly a third. I did what Mike suggested and have just checked and it's down to about the size of a pPenny (not an old Penny).

The room temperature is just over 22C, so hopefully it may have dried out before I go to bed and I can see if it still works. I've got everything crossed. Wink I deel a right pLonker.
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
(fingers crossed Emoticon - I haven't got one, but I would if I did).

Not so much fingers crossed but good luck I think. I found a whole load of other fingered emoticon but they might seem a bit inappropriate for this post.

mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leave it well alone over night don't put the battery in until the morning at the very earliest - powering up a wet PCB could do damage.

Never trust HV dump resistors either, as your mate found out they don't always work - an insulated metal bar is cheaper than blowing the tip off a perfectly good screwdriver - trust me I have done this, and yes it does give you a "wake up call" when the caps still have charge, dark sun glasses are quite handy as well to be honest.

Lesson learned for anyone else though - use a small amount of screen cleaner on a tissue or even use a PC screen wipe as they are very effective, PPC devices don't like moisture - Mike
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[top tip]
I always keep a little neat car screen wash nearby, preferably the alcaholic type. Used with a paper towel, this is often good as any small amouts left over will evaporate shortly after use.

Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Leave it well alone over night don't put the battery in until the morning at the very earliest - powering up a wet PCB could do damage.
Will do Mike and I'll probably leave it until tomorrow evening or Monday, as I won't be using it until Tuesday. (If it works again of course).

Quote:
I just read an artical in the latest copy of pc format were they cleaned a pc key board in a dish washer.
You mean you can't? Razz Very Happy
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
[top tip]
I always keep a little neat car screen wash nearby, preferably the alcaholic type. Used with a paper towel, this is often good as any small amouts left over will evaporate shortly after use.
Thanks mostdom, that's worth remembering.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
Quote:
[top tip]
Thanks mostdom, that's worth remembering.
I carry a (little?) 5 litre ready-mixed drum in the van so I never run out. But the closest I'd get to using that on the TT is nowhere - I spit on a finger (nice clean pensioner spit).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
Quote:
I just read an artical in the latest copy of pc format were they cleaned a pc key board in a dish washer.
You mean you can't? Razz Very Happy

As crazy as it may sound, it is plausable, but not recomended IMO. My pc keyboard in mostly shod in metal so I won't be trying it anytime soon. Not one of my top tips.

mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
...I spit on a finger (nice clean pensioner spit).

That's just nasty.

Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
DennisN wrote

Best wishes for it to return from the dead. (fingers crossed Emoticon - I haven't got one, but I would if I did).

Congratulations, you did it. Noticed before I went to bed that the dampness appeared to have gone. Switched on a short while ago and 'Bingo'. You can uncross your fingers now Dennis. Very Happy Razz

Oh yes, and thanks to all the others for their help and suggestions, a combination of all and they worked. (But not without DennisN's crossed fingers of course). Not Worthy

Driving

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: