Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi 350 help needed!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi 350 help needed!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dan12345
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Nuvi 350 help needed! Reply with quote

Hi guys,

While deleting some mp3 files from my nuvi 350 recently, I accidently deleted some contents of the Garmin folder. Luckily I had made a copy of the nuvi drive when I purchased it last year.

However, now that I have transfered the copy back to the nuvi, It doesn't work as it did! Now, when I select any option from the 'where to?' menu, it just gives a message saying 'no map data available'. Even though the map can be seen in 'view map' mode, only motorways and main roads are visible, all the city streets and smaller roads have gone. The 'map info' button in the system menu is now grayed out. (it used to work and showed that map version was city navigator europe NT v8)

I have tried deleting everything on the Nuvi and putting the whole copy back again, and have updated the software to version 4.60 with Garmin webupdater, but still the same problem.

Any ideas anyone?

Thank you.
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:40 am    Post subject: Re: Nuvi 350 help needed! Reply with quote

For some reason, you're only seeing the Basemap - not the detailed City Navigator map.

Is GMAPPROM.IMG present? (175MB ish)

If that is in order, do you have a GMAPPROM.UNL containing the 25 digit map unlock code? (I'm not so sure how/when the Nuvi range interacts with this file - I know the Streetpilot C510 only makes sporadic reference to it, usually after major system resets)
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Nuvi 350 help needed! Reply with quote

dan12345 wrote:
Luckily I had made a copy of the nuvi drive when I purchased it last year.
Have you done anything else since the backup was taken - eg upgraded the maps to v9? As PhilHornby says, it sounds like you have lost your map files (although I would expect the map file to be more like 1.3Gb on a 350). Finally, do you know exactly which files you put back (before replacing the whole directory), and, more importantly, can you provide us with a list of all the files in the \Garmin directory now, with filesize...?
dan12345
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your helpful reply.

There is a file named GMAPPROM but no extension. just 'paint shop pro 9 image' and is 1,137.824 KB. Would this be the one you refer to?

There is also a gmapprom.sum file in the Garmin folder, plus a couple of .BIN files, fs-image.ver, Garmin Device XML document, Nuvi-drive icon and GUPDATE.GCD, plus some other folders.

There is no GMAPPROM.UNL file.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lack of extension could be caused by Windows associated the file with PSP9, although it does appear the file is about the right size.

If you haven't upgraded to v9, there will not be a .unl file on a Nuvi.

Do you also have a gmapbmap.img file?
adrian_anastas
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:27 am    Post subject: Windows File Settings Reply with quote

Hiya,

It could be that you're windows file settings is not showing hidden files. For completeness these are the files in the Garmin Directory of my 350:

006B047800.bin
006B048201.bin
Activation.dat
fs_image.ver
GarminDevice.xml
gmapbmap.img
gmapprom.img
gmapprom.sum
gmapprom.unl
GUPDATE.GCD

I have upgraded to version 9 maps, and the gmapprom.img file is 1.3G.
dan12345
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Swing,

Thanks to you too.

The only thing that I have done since the backup was taken is updated the software a few times, changed mp3 music files and changed the jpeg image on the welcome screen from the original to one of my own.

After I put my backup copy of the Garmin folder back on the nuvi, I had lost all the extra vehicle icons and voice languages that I had before, but managed to retrieve all these again using the webupdater.

The complete contents of my Garmin folder are as follows:

FOLDER gpx
FOLDER Help
FOLDER poi
FOLDER Vehicle
FOLDER Voice
FOLDER Waypoints

006B047800 BIN File 435 KB
006B048201 BIN File 32 KB
fs_image.ver VER File 1KB
Garmin Device XML Document 20 KB
gmapbmap paint Shop Pro 9 Image 6,604 KB
gmapprom Paint Shop Pro 9 Image 1,137,824 KB
gmapprom.sum SUM File 1KB
GUPDATE.GCD GCD File 8,935 KB
nuvi_ drive Icon

Any further ideas?
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try a hard reset of the device (explained in the manual).
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PSP9 will be set to assume that *.img files are actually graphics files!

in the folder view go to 'tools' then 'folder options...'

then click on 'view' and scroll down and un-tick the 'hide extensions for known file types' and the full file name will then be shown.

bear in mind with this option running if you ever rename a file you will also have to remember to add the extension.

MaFt
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dan12345 wrote:
There is no GMAPPROM.UNL file.

In that case, I would create one - using Notepad. It should contain the 25 digit Unlock code (with any dashes etc) removed. The finished file will probably be 27 bytes(CR/LF added by Notepad).

The contents of this file seem to be read once, when a change in the maps is detected - and stored elsewhere. After that, it doesn't matter if the file is there or not.

If it's worked, your "Map Info" option should be re-enabled.

Question to others:

I obviously overlooked the fact that the 350 comes with more maps than I am used to seeing Exclamation Does each region have its own 25 digit unlock code - or is there a Master code for the whole map set.

(ie does GMAPPROM.UNL end up with a long list of codes in it ?)
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The .unl file will contain a single entry, this may be a country unlock code, or a full region (eg Europe) unlock code. However, a 350, which originally shipped with v8 maps will not have, nor need an unlock code, as the unit has a built in unlock code stored elsewhere which confirms it has a license for v8 maps. You only need a .unl code on a Nuvi if you upgrade the maps (to, eg v9).
adrian_anastas
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing wrote:
You only need a .unl code on a Nuvi if you upgrade the maps (to, eg v9).

I notice that Dan's file list does not include an Activation.DAT file. Is this also part of the upgrade for maps?
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adrian_anastas wrote:
I notice that Dan's file list does not include an Activation.DAT file. Is this also part of the upgrade for maps?
I don't have an activation.dat to be able to comment on what it is for - I can confirm that I have upgraded the maps, and don't have that file.
dan12345
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Again,

I have tried the hard reset, but still no good.

This is what happens when I turn it on....

The Nuvi 350 copyright notice appears, as it used too. Then there comes the 'loading maps' message and a green progress bar on a white strip. It goes almost halfway, then disappears (used to go all the way). Then there comes some text for a few seconds that reads 'rec routable HWY routable basemap ATL. v2/2.00' After this it is ready to use, but when touching the 'where to?' menu and then trying to choose an option from there, it says 'no map data available'.
the 'my locations' option works, but only shows motorway directions, can't find smaller roads and city streets anymore. Map info button still greyed out in 'map info' menu from settings.

Like Phil says, it's as though it's only reading in the basemap. But I rememember for sure that there was no .unl file on the drive originally (that I could see!) It has City navigator Europe NT v8 (has not been upgraded to v9)

Maybe I'll have to send it back to Garmin for correction....but it would be nice if we could figure it out ourselves Smile
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing wrote:
...as the unit has a built in unlock code stored elsewhere which confirms it has a license for v8 maps.

What I'm suggesting, is that the copy in "elsewhere" has gone missing. Perhaps the Nüvi booted up with no maps at some point and decided to remove a now superfluous code. Given that the 'Green strip' has made an appearance, that kind of suggests that it's treating this as a new map.

(I know the circumstances that make this happen on a C510 - but not a Nüvi. My first C510 shipped with a GMAPPROM.UNL. Garmin replaced the unit for me and the second C510 didn't have the file-I discovered the requirement for it, after a major reset caused by downgrading the firmware. )

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: