Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: Qubit PDA Sound System Review
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: Qubit PDA Sound System Review
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kartracer wrote:
Montmorency wrote:

All we need now is the PDA to support 2 simultaneous bluetooth connections:
1 serial to the GPS and 1 handsfree/headset to the bluetooth car kit,
and,

The 5550 does handle its end. I think we may be waiting a very long time for a car kit to handle more than 1 simultanous connection though.

Bluetooth audio support on Pocket PCs is a bit hit and miss - the current Bluetooth stack used on many iPAQs only gets audio support with a registry hack, and it doesn't work that well (which is probably why it's been disabled). Whether the 5550 has a later stack where these issues have been fixed, I don't know.

I'm also concerned at interoperability and bandwidth issues with two simultaneous Bluetooth audio connections from one device. I'm afraid I'm not enough of a Bluetooth guru to know whether a device advertising two Headset or two Handsfree profiles is possible or not. One of each is possible - but we're then into problems because not all mobile phones treat Bluetooth audio devices exactly the same (which is why there's manufacturer to manufacturer incompatibility). Some audio devices do offer both profiles for better phone compatibility, but will only work with one at a time.

I'm not saying that it won't come in time. One possibility is a complete new Bluetooth profile being designed for navigation systems, which carries mute information and one-way audio - though maybe it's quite possible to do what is wished for here with what we've got.

Another possibility as things stand now is for the Pocket PC to sit in the middle, acting both as a Headset or Handsfree to receive phone audio, and an Audio Gateway to feed to the real headset or Bluetooth car kit. However, that potentially leaves real-time processing issues, as well as taking precious processor power from the Pocket PC that you'd rather have available to your Navigation software. There's also problems with device priority issues - as where you want your phone to connect depends on whether or not the Pocket PC is switched on - and what happens if you want to switch off the Pocket PC! Of course, in this scenario, if your Pocket PC crashes, so does your phone call!

However, I'm not entirely conviced that we have to be wireless. I think QuBiT are on to something. After all, we mostly need to power our Pocket PCs in car - I can't think there's many running a navigation setup where their Pocket PC is unpowered. Another cable for audio is not necessarily a disaster.

For all the problems caused by HP moving the audio jack socket on the 545x and 555x onto the base of the device, it does give the possibility of a cradle that mates automatically with it!

I've no particularly strong views on what is right and what is wrong. I think, eventually, we will have a universal wireless bus in our cars, offering such intruguing possibilities as integrated GPS hardware (and even gyro / speed sensor backup for poor satellite visibility) that is available to connect to as we step into the car. However, I'm not sure that Bluetooth, at the current state of development, is particularly suited to wireless operation with both navigation system and phone audio.

David
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the heads up there, you are quite correct, TomTom appear to be bundling the CarKit cradle with both their BT and Mouse kits now which is good to see.
gedhickman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be available at end of this month (feb), cost £99.99 + £4.20 delivery
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gedhickman wrote:

Ged, is this the Qubit Amp?
Cees_1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
gedhickman wrote:

Ged, is this the Qubit Amp?

Hi, the Qubit Pda Sound Mute is already available in the Benelux.
The costs are Euro 75,00 + shipping + VAT (19% NL-VAT).
This packages is without the external speaker. You will have to make a connection to your front (left) carspeaker.

The Benelux distributor is:
SourenComputerService
Destinator Benelux
Heerlen
The Netherlands
Web: www.destinator.nl
Email: computerserv@hetnet.nl
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read this thread with interest as i had noticed that the speaker on the PPC was a bit low even on full power. I was wondering if the micro-extension speakers for a personal stereo would work. Obviously they need to be powered to run an amp.

After searching for info I came across the SoundFeeder SF250 which apparently transmits the audio signal of whatever it is connected to through your car’s FM radio via an available FM band. http://www.arkon.com/sf.html
The SF250 connects with a cable to the audio jack of your Pocket PC (or other portable audio player).

The SoundFeeder should work with any FM radio and theoretically send the Pocket PC’s audio signal to the radio in the vehicle. This would be better than a traditional cassette adapter and may be a more universal solution. Almost all cars have an FM radio, but Compact Disc players are replacing cassette players as the standard in car stereo systems.

Keep in mind that you can also use the SoundFeeder technology to play Windows Media Player music through an FM stereo.

The price is in dollars so i dont know if it is available here. also the downside is that you cant listen to music while the sat nav is giving directions.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to pour water on your fire but this solution came up last year. The sound feeder is illegal in the UK as it re-broadcasts on a frequency that is in use by commercial radio stations and so requires a licence.

The original importer/supplier quickly withdrew stock after an approach from the authorities. Although the chances of being caught and or interfering with anyone are slim you should be aware that the Radio Communications Agency have a reputation for coming down hard on anyone caught with unlicensed equipment.
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How petty!
No worries though as I said, you cant listen to music while effectively 'tuning in' to the ppc audio so its not much good anyway.
Why bother sending it through the speakers if there is no music to drown it out in the first place? Confused
Cessquill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidentally, I found this today http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=110320 that might work with a BT PDA. Now THAT's what I'm talking about!
renrut
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 10:32 pm    Post subject: Qubit PDA Sound System Reply with quote

just read the review ( I am new to gps ) sounds great just what I need . Tried to order no reply from distributors or manufacturers anyone have advice , or is the unit just a myth
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a myth at all but Qubit have had difficulty appointing a UK supplier.
Rany
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read this whole thread - and to me - having the PDA nav mute the car radio and the sound go through the car speakers makes no sense to me.
That would mean whenever navigation voice instructions come through your listening pleasure is interrupted?!?! That could happen all the time.

Makes sense for phone calls to mute the radio but not the PDA satnav.

The PDA sound and car radio sound need to be totally independant so that you can enjoy your music uninterrupted but still hear the voice instuction when it comes through - and be able to adjust the volume of each independantly - so my recommendation is the Arkon powered mount for the PDA.
a4ace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it depends how it is connected to the radio. in my setup, it is connected to the nav inputs. music is toned down, not completely muted. and in my radio, i can specify how much music is toned down. i do not use the qubit system but it should be the same.

qubit needs to work on their product availability. they gave me a supplier in switzerland but when i visited the distributor's site, i can't find the product. i also sent an e-mail but there was no reply.
drummer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the Qubit available anywhere yet? I've searched around, but can't find it anywhere in the UK Confused
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qubit have asked if any readers are having problems buying any of their products could email them at sales@qubit.dk they will do their best to resolve the issue and get you the items you're after.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: