Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: Qubit PDA Sound System Review
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: Qubit PDA Sound System Review
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a problem, just wanted to alert all to this useful feature. ALl we need to do no is clarify the supply situation, I have emailed my contact at Qubit and am awaiting a response.
Montmorency
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject: Too many wires Reply with quote

OK this should probably go into a "wish list" somewhere - but at the risk provoking much anger here goes:

Here we are doing our utmost to get rid of the wires in our portable environment - so we buy a bluetooth GPS and connect it to our bluetooth enabled PDA. Great.

But then we can't hear the PDA in the car - so what do we do? we connect some more cables and an amp and more power cables and and and... Arrrrgh!!!!

But hold on - isn't that a bluetooth enabled amplifier already installed and connected to the ICE to mute the radio and have the sound comming out of the speakers for our handsfree mobile 'phone set-up?

Yeah, yeah, I know (suspect) that most PDA bluetooth implementaions don't support a Headset or Handsfree Bluetooth profile - but why not? Lets loose some more wires!
And while we are about it why not keep the PDA powered though an inductive coupling and get rid of the power cable... OK, OK, I'm rambling - but how about it PDA manufactures?

With appologies if this topic has been posted elsewhere on the fora (forums?) already.

Chris. Confused
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's just me and I'm missing something obvious, but I can't see how much this costs (in the review - neither the manufacturer nor the UK distributor seem to have updated their websites to even mention this new product)

Steve
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also be interested to see a comparison between it and this...

http://www.seidio-europe.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BD-SMGF1
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing wrote:
Maybe it's just me and I'm missing something obvious, but I can't see how much this costs (in the review - neither the manufacturer nor the UK distributor seem to have updated their websites to even mention this new product)

The price was not advertsied in the review as it has yet to be announced by the UK Reseller. Qubit advised that the quide price was 100 Euros. I have emailed Qubit asking for clarification on the UK Reseller and have yet to receive a response.
Cessquill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the look of it, but was also interested in the price. Went to UK distributor - not on their site. Went to QuBit, product only listed once on their site in the Downloads Area (not products). Hmm.

Agree that there should be a bluetooth amp/speaker, but then that would come in handy anyhow. Or some clever profile to let the PDA interact with an existing bluetooth headset/car kit.

It's a shame that the iPaq can connect to a desktop PC and transfer no end of data, but nobody's figured out a way of piping sound down the serial cable (be it direct, or via some method of encoding)...
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: Too many wires Reply with quote

Montmorency wrote:
I know (suspect) that most PDA bluetooth implementaions don't support a Headset or Handsfree Bluetooth profile - but why not? Lets loose some more wires!

Cessquill wrote:
Agree that there should be a bluetooth amp/speaker, but then that would come in handy anyhow. Or some clever profile to let the PDA interact with an existing bluetooth headset/car kit.

I noticed that the instructions for my Ipaq 5550 mention establishing a headset connection. So I have just succesfully tested it with a Navman 4400 providing the GPS info and a Bluespoon headset receiving the audio voice instructions! Looks like there's a bit of scope for experimentation.
Kam
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of curiosity I just tried this in the car with the Parrot Driveblue and it worked just fine. This is not much use to me though, as it would prevent me receiving calls on the phone.

Kam
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just received an email from Thomas at Qubit. Following the comments raised in the review they will be supplying a speaker with a longer lead and in addition they will include the 3.5mm to 2.5mm headphone lead for those users whose PDA's have a 2.5mm socket at no extra cost :D

They have also spoken with Nemesis about the reseller confusion. Nemesis should have stock of these units next week.
Montmorency
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kartracer wrote:
Out of curiosity I just tried this in the car with the Parrot Driveblue and it worked just fine. This is not much use to me though, as it would prevent me receiving calls on the phone.

Kam

Great Thumbs Up
so we are getting close...

All we need now is the PDA to support 2 simultaneous bluetooth connections:
1 serial to the GPS and 1 handsfree/headset to the bluetooth car kit,
and,
the car kit to support simultaneous handsfree connections to the PDA and the 'phone (with suitable priorties of course!).

Any manufacturers out there listening? Question

Chris.
Hamish
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partly on my recommendation, my boss recently bought an iPAQ 5550 and TomTom2. Suffering as he does from tinnitus(sp?), he cannot hear the measly voice commands from the iPAQ (he had heard my iPAQ 3950 before the purchase, and had been very satisfied, and neither of us imagined a new model a year later would have poorer features).

Anyway, my point is that clever old HP/Compaq have put the headphone socket on the 5550 on the bottom of the unit - which of course is nestling safely in the cradle through which the power and GPS receiver signals are passing, attached to the dashboard.

D'oh!
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Montmorency wrote:

All we need now is the PDA to support 2 simultaneous bluetooth connections:
1 serial to the GPS and 1 handsfree/headset to the bluetooth car kit,
and,

The 5550 does handle its end. I think we may be waiting a very long time for a car kit to handle more than 1 simultanous connection though.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What cradle are you using? Certainly the Brodit cradles permit access to the headphone socket on 55xx series units when 'docled'.
Cessquill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kartracer - now that is cool. Like you say, since the headset can only pair with one simultaneous device, it's largely redundany - unless you fancy wearing two bluetooth headsets! It's a start though.

The iPaq can handle more than one bluetooth device at a time - With my old mobile I used to run TomTom with a BT-GPS and Running Voice phone software with my Bluetooth T68. Both worked fine with no loss in quality either side.
Hamish
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Darren,

TomTom have changed the contents of the iPAQ version of the kit shown in your review.

Now, the power cable and the lead from the GPS aerial/receiver both plug into the cradle, in which the iPAQ sits on top of built-in connections sticking up inside it - a much better design as there are no cables hanging dangerously directly out the base of the PDA.

But, of course, it makes the headphone socket inaccessible...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: