Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - If speedos set high are popup signs set low
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

If speedos set high are popup signs set low
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:55 am    Post subject: If speedos set high are popup signs set low Reply with quote

If car speedometers are set approx 10% high (which I accept) compared to the gps reading then why do the pop up Illuminated Warning signs appear to be so accurate to car speedos, i.e. they appear to illlumate when only 1-2 miles above the set speed as indicated on the car speedometer and must admit they seem to be very accurate.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the signs read too high a speed, compared to the GPS. Others are bang on.

I have noticed that the speed signs don't trigger at all over a certain speed though. Twisted Evil
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you've started me! These things really annoy me, because I never intentionally exceed any speed limit and they tell the world I'm speeding when I'm not. There are several of these things near me, whose location I know very well and they "go off" at silly speeds. I know they are coming up, so I specially make sure I'm well below the speed limit according to my satnav (say 26 in a 30 area and even my overspeed speedo says I'm under 30) to try to avoid them, but the things still fire up. I keep wondering just how slow you have to be going to not set one off?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps dennis you ought to put your teeth back in, that would confuse them, serously though if possible, would it not be a good idea if speed cameras also had a digital display, It might not get us anywhere but at least we could have a good try and moan in this current dictorial regime.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funnily enough, although I hate the "Slow 30" etc type, which I believe go off at well below the speed limit, I entirely approve of the ones which display reg number and actual speed, which I think are accurate. There used to be a mobile one on the A4, Portway, Bristol and I always thought it "a good thing".

But who cares right now?? My GO720 is due to arrive inside the next two hours. I might stay in my PJs until it gets here - there's commitment for you! But I'll have a shave and clean the new teeth (they're due a sort of dental MOT this month).

Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t mind the SID (Speed Indication Display) units being accurate to my GPS unit rather than my vehicle’s speedometer. However I don’t think that it’s right for the SID units to flash up at under the speed limit, or even worse, be set so near into a 30 mph zone that when you approach the SID from, say a, 60 mph zone, the SID unit flashes up “Too Fast” even though you’re still in the 60 mph zone doing a legitimate speed, albeit slowing down in readiness for the 30 mph zone.

DennisN wrote:
But who cares right now?? My GO720 is due to arrive inside the next two hours. I might stay in my PJs until it gets here - there's commitment for you! But I'll have a shave and clean the new teeth (they're due a sort of dental MOT this month).

So has the new GO 720 arrived? What’s it like?
That was too much information about the PJs, the shave, and the teeth! ;)

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the teeth, the shave AND got out of the PJs (and into clothes!) after all. Nice Miss, Mrs or Ms Citylink arrived at 8:20am. The 720 is (in my opinion, having followed it all day, but hardly played with it) a quantum leap forward. I'm already sure that I won't be sending it back like I did with the GO910s. No stupid red flashing speed and it understands Yorkshire (even when I spoke a couple of Welsh words). Struggling a bit with unfamiliar side, vertical status bar. Doesn't power up and down with ignition. Fits my shirt pocket perfick.

Now I look a bit like Smokey Bear with a windscreen full of Tom Toms - 700, 710 and 720. I'll try the 720 handsfree tomorrow to help decide which gets the heave ho - the 710 is rubbish handsfree, so I'm hoping the 720 is good and I can donate the 700 to a good cause. What I can't wait to get now is the 720 (bluetooth) remote control.

Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Now I look a bit like Smokey Bear with a windscreen full of Tom Toms - 700, 710 and 720.
Are you trying to compete with Mike A? Laughing

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
DennisN wrote:
Now I look a bit like Smokey Bear with a windscreen full of Tom Toms - 700, 710 and 720.

No way!! I shall be getting a new van 1st March and I don't want to offer a colander in part exchange. Plus I prefer to see real road in front of me, not a satnav simulation. Plus I need room inside to carry the stuff I'm delivering. Plus I occasionally deliver into military bases and I can't take the hassle of undergoing all that electronic scanning and smoking mirrors! How he gets allowed to load things into that Antonov I just cannot imagine. Rolling Eyes

GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also regularly pass one of these signs which is just a few yards inside a 30mph limit, but it is triggered when you're over 100 yards away in the 60mph limit.

The problem is that drivers tend to ignore the sign lighting up, whereas if it was well inside the 30mph limit and only lit up if you really were over the limit then it would probably have more impact.

Sometimes if I have somebody tailgating I'm tempted to slow down enough not to make the sign light up...but you never know what the idiot behind will do
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
Sometimes if I have somebody tailgating I'm tempted to slow down enough not to make the sign light up...but you never know what the idiot behind will do
Oh, I always slow down for those tailgaters. Twisted Evil The sort I prefer are those who Vroom past me when I slow down and set the sign off. My really, really, really favourites are those who Vroom past me in Temple Cloud to set off Gatso:1610 Burn In Hell Bouncing Thumbs Up

GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Oh, I always slow down for those tailgaters. Twisted Evil The sort I prefer are those who Vroom past me when I slow down and set the sign off.

I always make sure I'm well inside the speed limit when I have someone tailgating, but I'm a bit hesitant to slow down that little bit more because they've probably lost any sense of humour by that point.
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
DennisN wrote:

O/T from the original topic I know, but this morning I had to get a taxi in Winchester from my hotel, and the driver had a great way of solving all his device problems, he had an old numberplate and he had all his mounts stuck to that, he had 3, blueberry,mobile phone and TT.

I think I might take his method and expand on it Wink

To old to die young.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did the taxi driver attach this old number plate to his windscreen/dashboard or wherever?
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
How did the taxi driver attach this old number plate to his windscreen/dashboard or wherever?

Ok this doesn't sound to neat or pretty, but it worked, he had two holes drilled in it and it was tied to his air vents by two.......shoelaces Shocked

To old to die young.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: