Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is TMC worth it ??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is TMC worth it ??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MadPanther
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Is TMC worth it ?? Reply with quote

I'm looking for a new PDA / GPS.

Currently looking at HP rx5720, but could be changed to another PDA / Bluetooth GPS-TMC Module if it's worth the extra.

Any advice or comments ??

I normally drive 000's mile per month..
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say its a handy addition to the Nav unit but I don't rely upon the RDS-TMC for all my information, the motorway gantry signs and radio all play a significant part in decision making - sometimes I will use the RDS-TMC information and let the unit re-route due to a hold up, other times I ignore it.
When the information is valid it is often very useful, unfortunately the data is very often out of date or simply wrong - when they (the providers of the information) get the data right and the radio network coverage issues resolved within the UK then it might be worth considering - Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use it when I can access it but don't rely on it as the data is so often inaccurate. I use it as a 'there may be a jam ahead' warning so I can prepare myself or choose another route if it's not to out of the way.

I wouldn't choose a solution purely based on TMC though.
MadPanther
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Smile
lundavra
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only a short experience of TMC but I have found that it is difficult to read and work out the warnings when driving on my own. Also I just don't trust the SatNav to divert me off the obvious route as they do too many stupid things but I am sure that one day it will get me around some major hold-up.

MB
cantgetlost
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If and when it works on the limited number of roads that it applies to, YES, if you use those roads!
My experience is that in the UK it works about 20% of the time at best Crying or Very sad
MadPanther
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.
For now I've decided not to worry about TMC. I may get that at a later date.

Just need to decide on what PDA I want
Confused
benlovejoy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My limited (few weeks) experience (Zumo 550 with GTM21) is very good. There was one occasion when the alert came too late, but it kept me out of a 12-mile tailback on Sunday (that I saw as I crossed over it on my auto-diverted route), so I was pretty happy to have it!

As others have said, you can't rely on it as your only source of info, but it's a very valuable one, especially in a GPS that can auto-divert based on the TMC data.

Ben
gem
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using my Garmin Nuvi there is no traffic coverage at all on Dumfries to near Paisley. Nor any around Ayr, Kilmarnock, Irvine, Beith.

Although the TrafficMaster website and other sources says they transmit using radio station companies which should mean these areas are covered, e.g. Smooth radio, XFM and I think the 3rd might be Real radio. Not happy. Evil or Very Mad
benlovejoy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see lots of people posting about reception problems, whereas I've not yet had any cut-outs. I wonder whether the GTM21 antenna is particularly good (I just have it horizontal across the bottom of the windscreen) or whether it's simply that coverage is good in the South-East where I do most of my driving?

Ben
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

benlovejoy wrote:
or whether it's simply that coverage is good in the South-East where I do most of my driving?
Where TMC works, it normally works, and works well. There are many many places where unfortunately, it doesn't though. The Garmin interface tries to mask some of these places, so you have to go digging into the menus to actually realise you've lost traffic data.

If you travel across enough of the country, you soon start to know where you will and won't get traffic data...
benlovejoy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the Zumo 550, it's very obvious as the traffic button dims out.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where and when TMC works properly, it's a great additional feature to have on your GPS...but reception of the RDS/TMC signal is a problem and varies according to which TMC provider your GPS system uses - so it shouldn't be relied upon

However, it's handy to have and use alongside radio traffic bulletins etc.

In addition to signal reception, the two UK providers have slightly different data retrieval and road coverage networks.

Also, whilst iTIS have informed us that they're planning to add more radio stations to their RDS network, TrafficMaster have failed to act on their invitation to join this forum.

As well as asking if TMC is worth it, it might also be worth considering which TMC provider better suits your needs.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
Also, whilst iTIS have informed us that they're planning to add more radio stations to their RDS network, TrafficMaster have failed to act on their invitation to join this forum.
Despite their reluctance to say anything on record (whether by this forum or in personal email), Trafficmaster have now added some new radio stations to their list, including in the North West.

Which is better - Trafficmaster who said nothing until they had something worthwhile (ie the new stations turned on), or iTIS who have told us about their plans, but have yet to show us anything...?
adrian_anastas
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Zumo vs Nuvi Reply with quote

This is not the first time I've seen a Zumo user getting good reception in London:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=57697&highlight=

It makes me think that the issue is either with the Nuvi software or the GTM software that we're using.

I've asked on another thread if people could disclose versions and results for TMC in London. I'd appreciate any replies:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=342186#342186

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: