Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Go 720 US Edition System Files Lost, No Backup
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Go 720 US Edition System Files Lost, No Backup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TransWARPed
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:00 am    Post subject: TomTom Go 720 US Edition System Files Lost, No Backup Reply with quote

Is anyone able to assist me with a backup copy of a fresh US edition Go 720. I docked my device shortly after playing with the MP3 player for the first time. Unfortunatley I had media player open on my PC. It looked at the device, saw it was nearly full and offered to clear up my media files for me. My problem here was it used the drive icon (TomTom Logo) in the top left corner so I (wrongly) assumed it was TomTom Home asking me and said yes thinking the Home app wouldn't remove its own system files. Subsequently WMP removed all picture, sound and movie content (or any TomTom files of similar extention) from the device and as I've only just brought it I had no backup. I've phoned TomTom support and the Senior Techs have gone home so I have to ring back in the morning but I suspect I'll have to ship it off and have them restore it as you get no CD's with System or Map data with the device itself. Does anyone have a backup of one of these US edition 720's from new (including Map Data) that they could burn to DVD and send. I can send PayPal payment to cover costs.

I'm also open to other suggestions. Thanks.
vibeone
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to be careful what I say....

but if you "happened upto" say a raging flow or torrent of information containing an old version (Say 7.00), you could copy this to your device, and then connect it, which would then see it as a 720, and download the latest update via TT Home.

Not ideal, and a risk, but you wouldn't have to send it away.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The software is free anyway, but it would need the intervention of TT to authorise a download of the Maps.

They would want to see some proof of purchase.

vibeone wrote:
Yes. Rolling Eyes

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
vibeone
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
The software is free anyway, but it would need the intervention of TT to authorise a download of the Maps.

They would want to see some proof of purchase.

vibeone wrote:
Yes. Rolling Eyes

sorry - I hadn't realised he needed the maps as well. By my warped judgement, getting the software from a dodgy source is OK, because its illegal in a nice way. (its free anyway).

I took him to mean that TT Home 2 wasn't recognising his device, and therefore wouldnt download the latest software.

Obviously downloading the maps would be very wrong though Smile
TransWARPed
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all the advice. TomTom support seems to be good but very long winded and I don't suspect they will send a DVD with the original contents on. I used an undelete utility and have managed to get the device to power up but some files were corrupt and I'm not happy with a partially restored system. It seems to work OK but I don't want to have to use it and find half way through my trip it fails on me. I've decided to order a new one on Amazon, I'll back that up and restore to my current one and then sell the new one at a small loss on eBay. Quickest and easiest solution which will probably end up costing less than paying TT for a restore.
vibeone
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats ok for the software - but the map cannot be copied over!
46jimbo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purchasing and reselling a new unit seems to be a rather complicated and pricey way to solve this problem.

There was a new software update for the 720 announced just a few days ago. By connecting to Home, it should download and install the update for you. Your map folder seems fine, so that won't be touched.

The fact that your unit boots up and functions suggests that things aren't so bad.
Toneloc427
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried using the "Latest Map Guarantee" to load the maps? v710 was just released for North America today, and it seems that process might get you out of a jam.

I'd agree with 46jimbo; as long as you can get it to talk to your computer, you can wipe the drive clean (leave the Help Me folder!) and start with a fresh install of the application, reinstall the voices, and try downloading the latest map update before going to the trouble and expense of ordering a new unit.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: