Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Road closures
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Road closures

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Road closures Reply with quote

A dumb question, but I thought that TMC was supposed to advise users of accidents, roadworks and road closures.

However, over the past few days, I've noticed that my GPS doesn't appear to be giving any indication of road closures caused by flooding and all I seem to be getting is the usual heavy traffic, accident and roadworks information.

Considering that major roads, including the M5, have been affected I would have expected to see more...or am I expecting too much from TMC?
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly Trafficmaster had the A420 Closed in Oxford (having said that, it expanded the closure out of Oxford to the other side of the ring road, which wasn't closed) - I decided to head a different route to avoid the area, so can't confirm whether it was showing too much road closure, or whether it was actually accurate.

Of course, the new route I chose was also closed, but was a road not covered by TMC, so I can't really complain too much about that.

However, whilst I'm here, Trafficmaster (or maybe it's Garmin's fault) show a road closed with a roadworks sign - I appreciate some road closures are caused by roadworks, but I've seen accidents marked as roadworks, simply because the road is closed. I've no idea if this is a Garmin or TM fault.

It should be so simple to get these things right...
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On saturday afternoon I used my TMC on the way home from work and was suprised to see quite a number of road closures due to flooding. After seeing week after week of slow moving traffic and traffic congestions warnings, I was beginning to believe that the uk system didn't report anything else!

On the continent you get announcments like road clearing, Gritting in progress, etc. So to see the word flooding was a welcome change!

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drove to Didcot yesterday and my TTNav6 with Traffic via GPRS failed to notify me of two flooded roads on my route, at Clifton Hampden and Culham. The bridge at Clifton Hampden had apparently been closed the day before. What made things worse though was that the roadsign for road closure at the Culham junction was around the corner so I didn't know about it until I had made the turn Rolling Eyes
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to be a bit of a mixed bag.

I'm not sure what criteria either iTIS or TrafficMaster use for reporting road closures, but I thought that my list was relatively empty because:

a) there were too many road closures to list

b) the TMC providers assumed that people knew which areas to avoid

c) there was a lack of appropriate sensors for either provider in affected areas and their systems were unaware of many of the problems.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: