Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT Navigator 6 - Nokia N95, WHY CANT I USE PLUS SERVICES ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT Navigator 6 - Nokia N95, WHY CANT I USE PLUS SERVICES ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
regularlatte
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: TT Navigator 6 - Nokia N95, WHY CANT I USE PLUS SERVICES ? Reply with quote

I have had various Tomtom systems over the last 3 years and have now changed from my N73 to N95 and put new tomtom nav 6 with the latest maps onto it. The system works fine and I must say the screen is very good but I use traffic etc a lot and now I find that whenever I try to connect to any of the plus services (ie. cams or weather...).
Whenever trying to use a plus service it always asks if tomtom can use my wireless data connection. I say yes and I always get the reply: An error occurred on your tomtom device. please try again.

Of course I have tried re-installing tomtom to my memory card (using both usb and my card slot directly on my laptop.
I have installed an update which is supposed to help new phones connect but this is obviously no good.

Please can someone help?

Thanks
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a known issue on the Nokia side. I believe TomTom and Nokia are working on a fix.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
gripp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a similar problem on my Nokia E65 with TT6 so I don't think it's specific to the N95.

I think the problem occurs if you've been using the phones WiFi connection just prior to using TomTom. My E65 is connected via the WiFi access point to my wireless router whenever I'm at home as it allows me to access the internet etc free of charge.

When I then go out to the car and fire up TomTom Traffic, it still uses the WiFi access point and the green Traffic light is on. But as soon as I drive away and out of range of my home network, Traffic changes to a red cross (disconnected). I have to restart TomTom and select either the the Orange GPRS or Orange Internet access points once my home WiFi is no longer an option. Once locked onto GPRS the Traffic light stays green, though sometimes disconnects of its own accord (and reconnects) now and again.

This was never a problem on the Nokia 6630, but then the 6630 has no WiFi.

I'd be interested to hear other people's thoughts/experiences on this. My "explananation" may be completely wrong, but it seems to fit my own experience.
regularlatte
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Still confused Reply with quote

I have not ever used my wifi connection, as I am moving house at the minute.. So maybe its just not working I dont know ..

When I try and connect to traffic or any of the plus items it asks if it can use a wireless connection, I say yes and it immediately says error. I dont even get the offering to chose a connection to use.

Totally stuck, and - of course, tomtom are completely useless plonkers when I telephone them, you would think that when I say its in a N95 and its working except for this bit that I had told Sky Tv that I had made my own viewing card and could they help Laughing Out Loud!
pendlemac
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have one of those phones, so I'm probably wrong, but the fact it's asking if it can use a 'wireless connection' and not a 'data connection' makes me think it's defaulting to wi-fi rather than GPRS.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not have this phone either but my iPAQ with both bluetooth and wireless can behave the same. I have to tell it whether the bluetooth and wireless connect to a work network or the Internet and which one to use for applications to connect to the Internet.

When it asks for wireless it sounds like it is asking for the WiFi connection, but terminology can differ between manufacturers. Can you disable the WiFi connection and see what happens then?
regularlatte
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: Still stuck Reply with quote

I have tried with my wifi connected at the office and it still does not connect and gives me an error message. It would appear that it isn't even giving it time to look for a data connection rather it immediately gives an error message (and very naughty as it doesnt give an error code!)
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd tend to agree with pendlemac as you seem to be saying you're using Wi-Fi and not GPRS which the PLUS services use.

Can you confirm you are trying to use GPRS not Wi-Fi please.

Mike
regularlatte
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have disabled WiFi and tried just with normal data at least 20 times... getting nowhere. Is there anyoine who has an N95 with tomtom here?
clem
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

regularlatte wrote:
I have disabled WiFi and tried just with normal data at least 20 times... getting nowhere. Is there anyoine who has an N95 with tomtom here?

With wifi disabled can you browse the internet? If not then that is your problem your GPRS/3G services aren't working.

If you can browse but then can't use PLUS services then it's a mystery.

I have an N95 with TT6 and traffic works fine.
regularlatte
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can browse the internet, but simply cant use plus services, I dont know wether to format my memory card and start again..
Its not like my old N73 when this happened on this you went into the application settings and ticked the box that said allow application to connect to the internet. the N95 doesnt have this option...
admag
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are not alone, with problems, i have just got a nokia 8800 sirocco, and i cant use the tom tom plus though mines a TT1, however mines a packet data active access point problem.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: